It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Egypt may have been brought down by volcanoes and climate change, researchers say

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Hello peeps, just came by this article and couldn't find anything here about it yet. I thought it would interest some of you here.

Independe nt

Ancient Egypt may have fallen in part because of riots caused by climate change and volcanoes, according to a new paper.

The researchers used a variety of different data – including modern climate science, combined with descriptions in ancient textbooks – to explore the way that large volcanic eruptions hit river flow from the Nile, reducing the height of the summer flood that Egyptians relied on for farming. In turn, that may have led to drought and famine that ultimately brought about unrest and changes in politics and economics.

Until now, researchers haven't known what caused those strange but important floods. They now propose they were the result of volcanic activity – which in turn would have altered the climate and brought about disruption to the most central parts of society.

NewsWeek

The team analyzed ice core records, providing them with information on when major volcanic eruptions were taking place around the globe—chemicals released during these eruptions are captured in the ice, like a time capsule of geological events. They also looked at the Islamic Nilometer, which provides a history of water levels at the Nile.

The study authors also say the findings are relevant to the world today. While we have not experienced a climate-altering volcanic eruption for some time, there is little doubt we will again in the future. They say the fall of the Ptolemaic Kingdom offers a cautionary tale for all regions that currently depend on monsoons—an estimated 70 percent of the world’s population

I don't find it one bit surprising, and am glad that more research is being done in this field, we still are going about as if Nature is under our control and reminders like this just put things into perspective, I think.
And one way or another every civilisation comes to an end sooner or later.

Thoughts?

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: athousandlives

When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem (issue) becomes a nail.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   

I'm sure it was all the combustion driven chariots that drove the climate change.

Volcanos on the other hand, have decimated many civilizations, that and the changes brought on by the sea.
edit on 17-10-2017 by BlueJacket because: Eta

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Al Gore is behind this, I'm sure of it! His new project will be titled "An Inconvenient [Historical] Truth"

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Money, more money.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Aside from the political idiocy, the fall of "ancient egypt" was centuries in the making, a little blip in the climate that didnt seem to affect neighboring societies all that much did not soley bring them down.
Repeated invasion and subjugation of the population by persians, greeks, romans, libyans and finally arabians might have had a bigger causation.
bIf you want to see an actual record of climate bringing down the hammer on egypt look to the first and second intermediate periods, where there are noticable worldwide climatic events in conjuction with the societal collapses.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   

After reading the article, I'm still a little lost. What time frame are they talking about?

Because it seems like they're discussing the Ptolemic period into the Roman era. If so, I think it's pretty well accepted that they were conquered by a superior military. Not so much because of geological events.

The article seems like a stretch. I feel like Byrd's not gonna take kindly to it.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   
All that symbology about pillars of smoke by day, fire by night, the plagues; three days of night (ash fall), etc.

Erupting Volcano on the horizon fits that bill nicely.

They would't have understood it either. So made up fairy tales. The same way Romans invented their volcano god.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

All that symbology about pillars of smoke by day, fire by night, the plagues; three days of night (ash fall), etc.

Erupting Volcano on the horizon fits that bill nicely.

They would't have understood it either. So made up fairy tales. The same way Romans invented their volcano god.

Because of the food chain, once the population of one species is reduced, that reduces those higher up the good chain and causes a plague of the ones below and then it ripples downwards.

There were descriptions of the Nile turning red (due to flooding washing out ash/desert dust), the Sun becoming pale (ash going into the stratosphere). Egyptians kept a lookout for Asteroids since many of the jewelry items are made from glass due to heat impact, and from metals in meteorites.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Wonder if it’s connected to santorini??

That was at the same rough time huh??

I’ll have to look. Samtorinu might be WAY OLDER...

(I lied.. satorini was 1500 bc..)

Hehe
edit on 17-10-2017 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

There were descriptions of the Nile turning red (due to flooding washing out ash/desert dust)

Actually I think the Nile turned red due to algae bloom , from all the phosphorus and nitrogen dumped into it by the ash fall.

The algae would have sucked the oxygen out, killed the fish, drawn flies, fed frogs, etc. Plague after plague, The last of all the critter plagues, cattle dying from drinking the water now infected with anthrax.

I even read (somewhere) the first born were killed because in those days the first born sons slept on the bottom story of two story dwellings while the rest of the family slept on top of the roof. The CO2 from the volcano formed a ground hugging blanket which killed off everyone sleeping on the ground (mostly first born).

Or some such... lol. I have no link or veracity for these reports. Just musing at how my own retrospect bias is attaching them to volcanoes.

edit on 17-10-2017 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   

That would have been 60 years before Alexander as well (if I’m right...) .. just long enough before his conquest to soften them up for the best Calvert in history to run them over.

(Off again..

Alexander got there 20 years before ..)
edit on 17-10-2017 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   
This is a newspaper review, and therefore a little vague about specifics.
There are several different ways of defining "the end of ancient Egypt". They could have been talking about the Hyksos era, for example.
On closer inspection, the authors seem to be focussing on Egypt of the Ptolemies, which actually "fell" when the Romans took over. Cleopatra's time. I take it their case is that environmental factors made Egypt more vulnerable to the Romans.

Returning to the OP, I realise that I failed to spot the Newsweek link. My first sentence was about the Independent article.

edit on 17-10-2017 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

many people use hammers as fine adjust tools. i have many different sizes for that.
also i like to use the flame wrench from time to time.
😈😈

edit on 17-10-2017 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Here is a passage of the Admonitions of Ipuwer, a pre second intermediate phase text possibly describing the evenst surround the collapse during the first intermediate period.

Indeed, many dead are buried in the river; the stream is a sepulcher and the place of embalmment has become a stream.
Indeed, noblemen are in distress, while the poor man is full of joy. Every town says: "Let us suppress the powerful among us."
Indeed, men are like ibises. Squalor is throughout the land, and there are none indeed whose clothes are white in these times.
Indeed, the land turns around as does a potter's wheel; the robber is a possessor of riches and the rich man is become a plunderer.
Indeed, trusty servants are . . .; the poor man complains: "How terrible! What am I to do?"

Indeed, the river is blood, yet men drink of it. Men shrink from human beings and thirst after water.
Indeed, gates, columns and walls are burnt up, while the hall of the palace stands firm and endures.
Indeed, the ship of the southerners has broken up; towns are destroyed and Upper Egypt has become an empty waste.
Indeed, crocodiles are glutted with the fish they have taken, for men go to them of their own accord; it is the destruction of the land. Men say: "Do not walk here; behold, it is a net." Behold, men tread the water like fishes, and the frightened man cannot distinguish it because of terror.
Indeed, men are few, and he who places his brother in the ground is everywhere. When the wise man speaks, he flees without delay.
Indeed, the well-born man . . . through lack of recognition, and the child of his lady has become the son of his maidservant.

Indeed, the desert is throughout the land, the nomes are laid waste, and barbarians from abroad have come to Egypt.
Indeed, men arrive . . . and indeed, there are no Egyptians anywhere.
Indeed, gold and lapis lazuli, silver and turquoise, carnelian and amethyst, Ibhet-stone and . . . are strung on the necks of maidservants. Good things are throughout the land, (yet) housewives say: "Oh that we had something to eat!"
Indeed, . . .noblewomen. Their bodies are in sad plight by reason of their rags, and their hearts sink when greeting one another. Indeed, chests of ebony are broken up, and precious ssnDm-wood is cleft asunder in beds . . ..

Admonitions of Ipuwer

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   
BTW Egypt survived at least 4 major worldwide climatic disruptions, that doomed other societies, the mid 23 cent., the 21st-20th cent transition( known to us as the 4.2 kilo year event and evidence is pointing to a series of cosmic impacts), middle bronze age collapse( theran eruption 1628) and the late bronze age collapse of the 12th century( Hekla eruption?).

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I didn't know that ancient Egypt had been brought down. I kind of thought it just evolved into todays Egypt.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   
To be honest their near correct, though i doubt it was a volcano. There's allot more evidence to show that an asteroid hit the north Atlantic 12,900 years ago due to melt glass, nano diamonds, iridium and extraterrestrial helium scattered over at least 3 continents - Causing the "great flood" which seen sea levels rise 450 ft globally over a matter of years, with some saying 30ft in just a matter of days. This cataclysm also caused a rapid end to the last ice age.

Theres a structure which was found in the 90's, in Turkey called Gobekli Tepe which is the oldest and largest megalithic structure, 6,000 years older than Stonehendge and 50 times bigger. The people who built the site had astronomical knowledge that we have only achieved within the last few decades. It has more than 200, 30 to 60 ton pillars and is the worlds first perfectly aligned north/south facing structure - even taking into account magnetic declination. The depictions on the pillars show cosmic relation to what the star constellations we're 12,900 years ago which is the same time there was a huge cataclysm on earth. They also show how a something came from the sky and changed the world.

I wouldn't be surprised if crazy green house effects played a part in most civilisations becoming deceased around this time. There's even underground tunnels which can hold ten of thousands of people with working drain systems and places to raise cattle, they must have lived there for a reason? Nobody currently knows why or who built these underground cities but they're are also dated around the 12,000 year mark.

I love things like this, I just wish the mainstream historians would actually tell the truth rather than continue a lie that fits a narrative. There's so much we're not been taught in schools its a real shame.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: BlackSkinhead

Kudos to you, for the YDB event reference, but you need more time in the literature.
As much as those who dont want to read the lit. in its entirety, want this event not to have happened, it did.
Like you said the physical evidence is spread across the northern hemisphere and sporadic in the southern western hemisphere, but the distribution closley matches what one would find with a distributed event.
The early bronze age celestial events(see Bailie & McAneney 2016, 24th and 22nd century climate anomolies), orginated from the debris stream of the earlier YD event.
And forget all of the extreme nonsense that has been bandied about concerning the YD event, a more realistic application of the effects in terms of what is being found is beginning to show.
As far as astronomical knowledge we couldnt achive, that is nonsense.

edit on p00000010k581022017Tue, 17 Oct 2017 15:58:00 -0500k by punkinworks10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: AgarthaSeed

Was going to say Ancient Egypt spans literally thousands of years of civilization.
It didn't crumble or fall like Rome or Troy, it was slowly dismantled over time to what it is today.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join