It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Aren't We Talking About North Korea's Vast Mineral Reserves?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 02:13 AM
link   
a reply to: MissSmartypants

Because apparently, few people know about the incredible rare earth deposits that are, reputedly, in abundant supply there.

Which is odd, because the information is out there, and easily found.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 03:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: MissSmartypants
If the Gulf War was really about oil then could it be possible that this whole mess with North Korea could be about their vast...though largely unmined...mineral reserves?
As it turns out, North Korea is sitting on about 200 different minerals spread across 80% of the country. These include large reserves of precious metals and rare earth metals. All together about $6 trillion worth with alot of it sitting unmined due to lack of electricity, lack of equipment, and antiquated mining technology. However as for the mining that is being done a substantial part of it is being done by China with 41% of Chinese companies doing business in North Korea being mining businesses. And it should be noted that these mineral reserves finance North Korea's military.

NK also has no central bank either

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Its not just about the resources.

This is yet another example of America trying to insist that those it has screwed, cease feeling hostile toward it. Its another example of unreasonable and exceptionalist thinking, which no American government has any actual business adopting.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 05:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Azureblue
NK also has no central bank either

Yes they do. It's called the Central Bank of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea. It issues the North Korean won.

Regardless of the fact the North Korean economy is pointless and the people regularly starve (although Kim himself is rather fat) and the only visible investment is in the military and nukes.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 06:14 AM
link   

If the Gulf War was really about oil then could it be possible that this whole mess with North Korea could be about their vast...though largely unmined...mineral reserves?
As it turns out, North Korea is sitting on about 200 different minerals spread across 80% of the country. These include large reserves of precious metals and rare earth metals. All together about $6 trillion worth with alot of it sitting unmined due to lack of electricity, lack of equipment, and antiquated mining technology. However as for the mining that is being done a substantial part of it is being done by China with 41% of Chinese companies doing business in North Korea being mining businesses. And it should be noted that these mineral reserves finance North Korea's military.
there are plenty more countries with equal amounts that don't involve a nuclear war, that's why www.mapsofworld.com...

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Nah. Most of our action with them would be from the sky. Death from above. We probably wouldn't have very many boots on the ground.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: LondonMan

there are plenty more countries with equal amounts that don't involve a nuclear war, that's why www.mapsofworld.com...
Apparently China feels its worth the effort.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: zmaster
From what I've heard (I am geologist), North Korea claims to have larger deposits of Rare Earth Elements than China(which currently monopolizes the REE market, basically, and they are important since they are used in new technologies), but they their claims haven't been inpendently verified.
Other than that, they do not have anything you couldn't find in many other places.
Sure they can be found other places but for China mining in North Korea is just so darned convenient.

China is currently setting up camp in Africa, but that's a dirty little secret the press doesn't want widely known.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: filthyphilanthropist

Nah. Most of our action with them would be from the sky. Death from above. We probably wouldn't have very many boots on the ground.
As I queried previously is the conflict actually between the U.S. and China rather than North Korea?

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Have we already set up and drained Afghanistans 1 trillion of rare earth's yet?

Don't think so though we do have a military presence there already. Seems we can get rare earth's from there without the hassle of NK.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Terminal1
Have we already set up and drained Afghanistans 1 trillion of rare earth's yet?

Don't think so though we do have a military presence there already. Seems we can get rare earth's from there without the hassle of NK.

Rare earth elements aren't actually rare...just hard to extract.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I thought it was fairly obvious why North Korea is important strategically. They have high amounts of resources. They offer strategic position for an invasion of China or Russia, the US would control almost all access to the Pacific from Asia. It's the same reason the Soviet Union tried to make the country unify under it's control. It's got nothing to do with any kind of threats or bull# from their leader.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: dug88
I thought it was fairly obvious why North Korea is important strategically. They have high amounts of resources. They offer strategic position for an invasion of China or Russia, the US would control almost all access to the Pacific from Asia. It's the same reason the Soviet Union tried to make the country unify under it's control. It's got nothing to do with any kind of threats or bull# from their leader.
You're right of course and its more than a bit worrisome.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   

sources would be helpful. THX

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 10:52 PM
link   

As I queried previously is the conflict actually between the U.S. and China rather than North Korea?
I mean, I doubt it. Sure, it's possible, but my gut saysno. Granted, my gut doesn't trump the facts. Maybe I'll spend a little time researching in the next few days and get back to you with a more qualifies opinion.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

I usually start my threads by explaining that I don't know how to add a link from my phone but I have to admit that I got lazy this time. And I usually explain where I got the information (in this case Wikipedia) but some days typing everything out on my phone seems like a big hassel. I was having one of those days. Sorry.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   

I mean, I doubt it. Sure, it's possible, but my gut saysno. Granted, my gut doesn't trump the facts. Maybe I'll spend a little time researching in the next few days and get back to you with a more qualifies opinion.
Well if it is really about North Korea's mineral wealth and China is doing most of the mining there, I find it hard to believe that China is going to let us waltz in, depose Kim Jomg Un, install the new leader of our choice, one that will be ready to start doing business with the US instead, without a fight.
edit on 10/18/2017 by MissSmartypants because: edit

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88
I wouldn't be surprised if we had manipulated the situation to get Kim Jong Un to start this whole threat thing to give us a reason to go in there.
edit on 10/18/2017 by MissSmartypants because: edit

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

I usually start my threads by explaining that I don't know how to add a link from my phone but I have to admit that I got lazy this time. And I usually explain where I got the information (in this case Wikipedia) but some days typing everything out on my phone seems like a big hassel. I was having one of those days. Sorry.

Thanks for the reply - since I only post from a desktop, I can forget that many people are using their phones. I certainly wouldn't be able to paste links from my phone without severe stress.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   
only 6 trillion? that's less than 1/3 of the U.S. national debt, and it`s obviously not enough for north korea to divert funds and resources from developing nukes to mine that stuff.
it seems like you`re the only that think`s it a lot of resources.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join