It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Aren't We Talking About North Korea's Vast Mineral Reserves?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 12:20 AM
link   
If the Gulf War was really about oil then could it be possible that this whole mess with North Korea could be about their vast...though largely unmined...mineral reserves?
As it turns out, North Korea is sitting on about 200 different minerals spread across 80% of the country. These include large reserves of precious metals and rare earth metals. All together about $6 trillion worth with alot of it sitting unmined due to lack of electricity, lack of equipment, and antiquated mining technology. However as for the mining that is being done a substantial part of it is being done by China with 41% of Chinese companies doing business in North Korea being mining businesses. And it should be noted that these mineral reserves finance North Korea's military.
edit on 10/17/2017 by MissSmartypants because: edit

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: MissSmartypants

You think China's going to let anyone drain NK's resources, you think they are going to let someone occupy a country on it's border and drain the resources..not damn likely.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Been hoping for over a decade that someone would notice and "liberate" NK...not that I am fond of resource theft by other nations, but at least they would actually be liberated from the tyrannical government of NK

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 12:45 AM
link   
From what I've heard (I am geologist), North Korea claims to have larger deposits of Rare Earth Elements than China(which currently monopolizes the REE market, basically, and they are important since they are used in new technologies), but they their claims haven't been inpendently verified.
Other than that, they do not have anything you couldn't find in many other places.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 12:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

You think China's going to let anyone drain NK's resources, you think they are going to let someone occupy a country on it's border and drain the resources..not damn likely.
I've wondered myself is all this really between the U.S. and China when it comes down to it?

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 12:54 AM
link   

I do think there is some chess going on..China is playing passive aggressive, mostly passive publicly.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Its very likely they exaggerate their claims, truth is rare earth metals are common. Problem is they damage the environment,That’s why most developed countries have stopped mining REEs. Now here is the problem the money that would need to be spent on infrastructure would be more then they could make on their sale. What they currently do is ship basically dirt to China for processing. Not even China wants to set up the infrastructure required. Why simple there is lots of sources throughout the world.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 12:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: zmaster
From what I've heard (I am geologist), North Korea claims to have larger deposits of Rare Earth Elements than China(which currently monopolizes the REE market, basically, and they are important since they are used in new technologies), but they their claims haven't been inpendently verified.
Other than that, they do not have anything you couldn't find in many other places.
Sure they can be found other places but for China mining in North Korea is just so darned convenient.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 12:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
Its very likely they exaggerate their claims, truth is rare earth metals are common. Problem is they damage the environment,That’s why most developed countries have stopped mining REEs. Now here is the problem the money that would need to be spent on infrastructure would be more then they could make on their sale. What they currently do is ship basically dirt to China for processing. Not even China wants to set up the infrastructure required. Why simple there is lots of sources throughout the world.
Okay...now I know why we're not talking about it.
Mystery solved. Thanks.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Interesting note though...their main export is charcoal briquettes. Their second and third exports are coats. Yeah...coats.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 01:02 AM
link   

I would agree with other Members in this thread, China are not about to give away any resources to a rival power.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Interesting..raccoon skin?

Actually I just read "made in china" clothing may actually have been made in NK, the plot thickens..a way around sanctions, fraud maybe?

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Maybe that's the reason we haven't just nuked the whole region. Wouldn't that make the Rare Earth Elements somewhat radioactive or at least the terrain where people would need to be to mine it?

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 01:21 AM
link   

I don't know about reserves but here is the report on their current production as of 2013.
The Mineral Industry of North Korea in 2013

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Pretty simple, because the opposition to North Korea has been established over decades and never has anything with respect to North Korea ever been about their wildly abundant resources.

That's why we're not talking about their minerals.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 01:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: alphabetaone

Pretty simple, because the opposition to North Korea has been established over decades and never has anything with respect to North Korea ever been about their wildly abundant resources.

That's why we're not talking about their minerals.

Right, because money and resources are secondary to what motivates the world to turn.
edit on 17-10-2017 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 01:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
Been hoping for over a decade that someone would notice and "liberate" NK...not that I am fond of resource theft by other nations, but at least they would actually be liberated from the tyrannical government of NK

If only North Korea was a one word noun. that started with the letter "i".

Take a hypothetical such as"Iokea". Or "Ioata" ("iota").

Then they could call the whole military intervention "Operation Iokea Liberation", which would provide a nice and cozy acronym of "OIL".

For example.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Clearly China's support of the NK regime is based around gradual access to the natural resources. Sadly, as the regime demonstrates, the population would never benefit from such exploitation and modernisation of mining is hardly top of the agenda.

NK is just another potentially rich country that is run by morons.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 02:00 AM
link   

I see this as being the reason China will oppose us when Trump starts the apocalypse. There is no way in any version of hell that todays China will see it's neighbor sacked and occupied by the US. The only way forward is to reunite ALL KOREANS.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 02:11 AM
link   

It is not being common or not(they are somewhat rare though, hence the name)
The issue is, in order to be able to mine a resource, you need it to be be in a given concentration to make it worth extracting (basically to cover the costs and earn a plus, and we are talking here in a long time period, 15-20 years or so). Since mining operations are expensive and not done overnight, a certain amount of political stability is needed to carry it out too.

China just happens to have large deposits with good concentration of the elements, also just like you said they don't do much about environment (look up Bayan-Obo mines in Northern China, they created a lake of radioactive mud next to Baotou, a city with three million inhabitants, where the ore mined in Bayan-Obo is processed). The fact they can extract the REE cheaper and in larger amounts than most other countries is one of the reason of the Chinese monopoly of REE.

originally posted by: evc1shop
Maybe that's the reason we haven't just nuked the whole region. Wouldn't that make the Rare Earth Elements somewhat radioactive or at least the terrain where people would need to be to mine it?

I would assume the reason the whole region has not been nuked is that everyone would not rather sacrifice thousands of SK lives, and experience the instability a conflict would like that would bring, along with an economic debacle it could bring given the importance of China in trade.
REE are often associated to radioactive elements anyway.
edit on 17-10-2017 by zmaster because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join