It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a380 news

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by matej
I have not published an article about it on web, so here is the picture:

One of the first models for what was to become the A380 is also on that page:

I do not believe the A20.30 picture is realistic for the very same reason as why the above design was abandoned: evacuation of the passengers from a plane with too many isles next to each other could not be done within minimum legal requirements.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Simon666
I do not believe the A20.30 picture is realistic for the very same reason as why the above design was abandoned: evacuation of the passengers from a plane with too many isles next to each other could not be done within minimum legal requirements.

Ah, thanks for that bit of information.
I wondered why commercial aircraft manufacturers didn't make their planes wider instead of going longer. I guess it does make for a more orderly onloading and offloading of passengers when you have fewer isles.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Simon666

It is very realistic. I have CAD pictures of all evacuation doors. I will post it maybe on monday. Also in all economy version, everyone from 1050 passangers will leave plane during 83 seconds. (the FAA limit is 90 seconds). You will see at monday.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I was watching something about the future of air travel one day. They started talking about the blended wing design and the reason that right now it's not feasable. With a cylindrical fuselage, you are close to the center of rotation, so when the plane turns, the people on the outside aren't effected much. With a blended wing, you are going to have people farther away from the center of rotation that will be affected a lot more by turns and banks. They said when they modeled it, they had drinks and food sliding off the trays when the model turned. They would have to develop level turns, and other mauvers to compensate for how far off the center of rotation people would be.

I thought that was pretty interesting. I had never thought about it until I watched that show, but it does make a lot of sense. I like the blended wing design, but I don't know how comfortable it would be to fly on right now.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Here it is. A20.30 has 19 standard emergency doors, one special for crew and pilots and four on the upper deck. I used green color for better visibility. Every passanger is able to leave plane in less than 83 seconds [the JAR 25.803[c] limit is 90 seconds]. When you compare it with Boeing Blended Wing Body, BWB has only 8 emergency doors on the leading edge - it means exactly in the crash deformation area. Airbus did it much better. The key is, that in BWB the cargo is around passanger area. It means, that you cannot place emergency doors on sides and back. Instead A20.30 has cargo department on the bottom of the fuselage, so it can protect passangers against hard landing.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 03:03 AM
link   
matej, where did you get those from. You always are a perennial source of exotic pictures. Where do you get them from ?

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Nice one, I voted for a way above top secret award.

[edit on 5-7-2005 by Simon666]

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stealth Spy
matej, where did you get those from. You always are a perennial source of exotic pictures. Where do you get them from ?

My sources are very variable. This picutres are from Deutsche Airbus documentation about perspective high capacity airliners and from VELA [VEry LArge aircraft] project.

Originally posted by AceOfBase
Ah, thanks for that bit of information.
I wondered why commercial aircraft manufacturers didn't make their planes wider instead of going longer. I guess it does make for a more orderly onloading and offloading of passengers when you have fewer isles.

I forgot. The main reason is that it is much simple to manufacture presurized cabin with rounded cross-section than any other form. Because that it is also cheaper.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join