It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want to buy a firearm

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   
If you only plan to have one gun for home protection, get a revolver because they will never ever ever ever fail and if you get a misfire due to a crap round of ammunition you simply pull the trigger again. No jams.

If you want a pistol then there's no other first pistol than a Glock. Practically maintenance-free and they will run forever. I recommend 9mm as well, like other people in this thread. It's the best balance of energy and controllability.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
a reply to: caf1550

You are seriously recommending a firearm, with no external safety to a complete amatuer, who has NO idea what they're doing? Would you stand beside them and trust them to keep their finger off the trigger and/or not cover you with the muzzle?

No offense OP, but I wouldn't.

Glocks have multiple safeties. They have a drop safety and a trigger safety. Firing a Glock is a very deliberate act, just a different way of doing it but still it's an extremely safe firearm. It also has a very heavy but smooth trigger pull that also makes it nearly impossible to fire on accident.

I will admit that early generation Glocks had a few issues but since Generation 3, they've all been fixed.
edit on 17-10-2017 by gernblan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I recommend a minigun. You'll be the talk of the town at your local shooting range.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Thank you all for the advise. I've ready though it all and will utilize it in the future. For now my main take away is that I should look to book up with someone who is knowledge and ask them to show me the ropes.

Thank you all again.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   
1st weappn for home defense?
If for home defense and not so much for carry, shotgun is the way to go.
Remington 870 or Mossberg 500/550 will be sufficient.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 02:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

We were talking specifically about food and water. You know of a case first hand during Katrina where somebody had to fend off people with a gun to prevent them from stealing his food and water?

I guess its possible.

I wonder if its happening in Puerto Rico? - If people are stealing each others food and water against the will of the owners? Perhaps they might ask for some first? If someone desperately needed food or water and I had some to share, I would probably share it with them and not point a gun at their faces.

BTW I'm not against people owning guns. I'm just saying its a rare instance where you might really need one. In my half a century of being alive not once did I even remotely need one.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

I could use one every single day.

I mean someone has to put those evil paper plates in their place at the old shooting range, right? But given the price of ammo, rain, tired from a long day at work it usually works out to every 4-6 weeks because target shooting alone isn't as fun.

For the OP, there have been many good suggestions and guiding questions. One in particular was the moral question of could you kill another human being. But let me add that the power to kill comes with the responsibility of the power to not kill.
edit on 21-10-2017 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

Because if you can not give back life, don't be in too big a hurry to take one.

posted on Oct, 30 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   
In your case i would recommend a non choked .410. This is a shotgun that carries a tight pattern using regular shot, and can be substituted for a medium range shot using a slug.

ammo wise #6 shot will be your go to as it will hold a basket ball size pattern around the 25 yard mark. Hunting wise this ammo will be deadly to medium and small critters such as rabbits, squirrels, fox, turkey, water fowl, ect. at the 25 yard range.

.410 slug will hit a target 50 yards easily holding an aimed pattern in the size of a standard beach ball. Hunting wise you can easily kill large game up to 35 yards such as deer, bear, wild hogs, cattle, ect. I would be hesitant to say a clean kill shot on moose and larger animals.

Family use, this gun has a minimal kick making it less frightening to shoot. The size of the shells allows the maximum storage capacity being able to store at a 2:1 ratio over a 12 gauge. i wont mention it here, but a .410 can also shoot a particular rifle round that may be of interest. Youtube can show you which round. .410's are light weight, fairly short guns, that make a great go to in any situation.

posted on Oct, 30 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

Shoot a few firearms first, then decide later.
This gives you time for familiarity and to see what costs will be, along with saving up some $$$.$$

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   

So what's my first step?

Get one of these or something like.

In a complete and total ROL collapse there would be no repercussions. Then make as many as you'd want.

Until then.

Go to a gun store.

Pass the background check.

Get your training.

And shell out your money.

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 04:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat
After Herican Sandy; and the week long gas shortage aftarward; it was clear that there really is a thin line of comfort between normal life and civil breakdown. I shutter to think what would happen if a disaster lasts longer than a week.

So I want to get some kind of firearm to help protect my family. Problem is I don't know the first thing about firearms. Ok growing up the adults in my life had them, so I know a little. But not enough to feel safe being in possession and how and where to buy.

So what's my first step?
.357 handgun, thsts all you need for close proximity

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 12:48 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join