It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

just askin...is this an "assault" rifle??

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: SailorJerry

Apparently the larger the caliber the harder the butt is.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   
The term is fake anyway in it's premise.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Which one?

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

"Assault"weapon.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

I'd say it is redundant and I think that was kind of the the point being made. All weapons can be used for assaulting someone.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: edaced4

I almost impulsively bought one of those at a gun show a few years back, but cooler heads prevailed. When I got home i did some research, I remember reading a lot of user reviews that pointed to reliability issues in the 22lr caliber. The 9mm version seems to have a better track record. But hey if yours works well for you, then cool! A semi auto 22lr rifle with a good sized mag is a fun way to spend an hour or two.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   

According to the last Ban:

The 1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban, which expired on September 13, 2004, codified a definition of an assault weapon.

It defined the rifle type of assault weapon as a semiautomatic firearm with the ability to accept a detachable magazine and two or more of the following:

a folding or telescoping stock
a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon
a bayonet mount
a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor
a grenade launcher

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 23-10-2017 by soberbacchus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   

i think it is just a semi auto rifle.

as i understand the terminology:
machine gun is a large fully automatic weapon, mounted to a heavy base (auto, ship, etc) usually belt fed that can fire for a prolonged period of time before warping of the barrel occurs. usually caliber in large or "rifle" cartrige. (.308, 30-06, 50 cal, etc)

sub-machine gun is a fully automatic firearm. made to be carried and typically caliber with handgun rounds. (.45acp, .22lr)

the stock, color, size of magazine etc have no bearing on whether or not a firearm is a "machine gun".

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Which one is the "assault rifle"?

They are the exact same rifle.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: soberbacchus

So you can have a grenade launcher as long as you don't have any of the others. That's good to know.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

So you can have a grenade launcher as long as you don't have any of the others. That's good to know.

Reading ability?

semiautomatic firearm with the ability to accept a detachable magazine and two or more of the following:

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: soberbacchus
Reading ability?

semiautomatic firearm with the ability to accept a detachable magazine and two or more of the following:

Not following. You can have a "semiautomatic firearm with the ability to accept a detachable magazine and" one other thing from that list without it being considered an "assault" rifle. Grenade launcher is on that list.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

Reading ability?

Not following. You can have a "semiautomatic firearm with the ability to accept a detachable magazine and" one other thing from that list without it being considered an "assault" rifle. Grenade launcher is on that list.

I misunderstood what you were saying.
Actually you are right..hmmm.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   

NOT to be confused with a FLARE launcher(37 mm,NON lethal by law)?
edit on 23-10-2017 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Well since the 1994 AWB sunset in 2004 ...

Federally there is technically no such defined class of weapon as assault weapons.

Nor should there be, especially since that law was written by people who knew nothing about firearms anyway ans was thus choxk full of stupidity ridiculousness and asshattery...

For example, the "grenade launcher" referenced specifically in that document isn't an underbarrel m203 40mm launcher or anything else but instead "grenade launcher" there refers to any feature or combination of features making up a NATO standard 22mm rifle grenade launching interface at or near the muzzle.

Rifle grenades are essentially a small caliber spigot mortar round with no launching charge physically onboard (certain ones have secondary rocket sustainer motors to improve range velocity etc and usually for antiarmor use)

Instead either a live cartridge or a blank round fired by the rifle provides the power to launch. (live round compatible grenades have a "bullet trap" that keeps the bullet from bashing the grenade mechanism!)

Pretty much every single rifle i own technically has a "grenade launcher" attachment btw...

I also have a couple different AK's with gas system cutoffs and about 3 dozen assorted practice and dummy rifle grenades the wife and i "golf with" for fun....

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: roguetechie

The post did say that the law had expired. We were just using it as reference to how it defined assault firearm.

The term grenade launcher seems vague and inclusive of both styles of launchers. Either way you can launch grenades. I just pointed out how odd that that feature is on that list.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: subfab

i think it is just a semi auto rifle.

as i understand the terminology:
machine gun is a large fully automatic weapon, mounted to a heavy base (auto, ship, etc) usually belt fed that can fire for a prolonged period of time before warping of the barrel occurs. usually caliber in large or "rifle" cartrige. (.308, 30-06, 50 cal, etc)

sub-machine gun is a fully automatic firearm. made to be carried and typically caliber with handgun rounds. (.45acp, .22lr)

the stock, color, size of magazine etc have no bearing on whether or not a firearm is a "machine gun".

Just to clarify...In my OP I asked if the pictured firearm was considered an "assault rifle" (by today's terminology), not whether or not the pictured firearm in a "machine gun". I know it is not.

And yes, "the stock, color, size of magazine" do have bearing on whether said rifle pictured is considered an "assault rifle" or not. Refer to the pictures in the post directly below yours...

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   

According to the last Ban:

The 1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban, which expired on September 13, 2004, codified a definition of an assault weapon.

It defined the rifle type of assault weapon as a semiautomatic firearm with the ability to accept a detachable magazine and two or more of the following:

a folding or telescoping stock
a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon
a bayonet mount
a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor
a grenade launcher

en.wikipedia.org...

Wow...so at least up intil 2004, this actually WAS an "assault rifle"! It actually has three of the additional attributes to being an "assault rifle":

It has a telescoping stock
It has a pistol grip
and....

I could mount a bayonet on it!!

hhhhmmmmmmmm....

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: roguetechie

I also have a couple different AK's with gas system cutoffs and about 3 dozen assorted practice and dummy rifle grenades the wife and i "golf with" for fun....

That would be an interesting game of golf if you ever accidentally mixed the dummies with live.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   

SORRY can't resist...www.youtube.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join