It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

just askin...is this an "assault" rifle??

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Or the TL : DR version:

Because words and phrases have actual definitions.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Any firearm that functions reliably has a practical use.

The .22LR round is the most deadly round concerning civilian deaths (where body armor and other protection is not generally a thing).

I fail to see the validity in your comment...this firearm in the OP would work perfectly fine in average self-defense distances.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Aye I suppose its the convenience of not having to reload and miss the pigs running off to come back the next day and ruin your crops when you have to tend to another part of your farm.

This still doesnt really give any reason for the general public to own a semi automatic, farming , hunting sure thats reasonable.

I think that hunting is a good enough reason in this instance but urban dwellers owning a semi auto rifle , where is the justification in that.

I was genuinely asking the question , not hinting that I know better than say farmers using semi's for hunting.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Interesting aspect of the constitution that its written to protect the public from governments , in that it means you should be able to stockpile more weapons than the government.
Does anyone think they'd be able to compete ?

Well good luck to anyone who has the funds and storage space, because thats a lot of hardware.

So it protects the right to stockpile weapons of any type

then this is crazy because technically you could have sam launchers , icbm's , etc
yet this is a contradiction of the terrorism act surely?

No wonder this drives people insane

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

originally posted by: whywhynot

originally posted by: nwtrucker

a reply to: edaced4

Every firearm is an "assault" firearm.

Every firearm is a defensive firearm.

It's not the firearm that makes the difference.

It's the training and intent.

Bullcrap

Really?

A well-trained person with a semi-auto 22 can take out a poorly-trained idiot with a fully-auto AR, AK, or whatever you want to choose.

As the saying goes, it's not the size that counts. It's how you use it.

But you would know that, if you were trained and experienced.

I think you are a little outside your wheelhouse on this one. How about Mr A has the semi auto .22 and Mr B has got a AR 15. Let’s say they are 200 yards apart. Who do you want to be? A or B.

The man better trained to use his firearm and trained in situational awareness.

You guys really think it's all about the bigger tool and not the knowledge to use what you have?

This is the ignorance I see in many pro-firearm people and why they cannot properly defend their 2nd amendment right.

Have you guys even taken a basic defense/shooter course?

Yup way outside of your wheelhouse. The .22lr will not shoot anywhere near accurately in a semi at 200 yds. Two very important factors, the .22 has 1/10 of the delivered energy at 200yds and 10 times the trajectory drop at that distance. This round drops by over 5 feet at 200 yards. Makes it pretty hard to hit your target and even if you do somehow the delivered energy is pretty week.

You don’t want to take on a guy with an AR 15 at that distance with a .22lr.

Better get some schooling.

Obviously the point went well over your head.

My point must have gone way way over your head. Don’t pretend that you know anything about combat or weapons.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   

My point must have gone way way over your head. Don’t pretend that you know anything about combat or weapons.

It looks as though your making a different point than he posed.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

a reply to: edaced4

Every firearm is an "assault" firearm.

Every firearm is a defensive firearm.

It's not the firearm that makes the difference.

It's the training and intent.

Bullcrap

Really?

A well-trained person with a semi-auto 22 can take out a poorly-trained idiot with a fully-auto AR, AK, or whatever you want to choose.

As the saying goes, it's not the size that counts. It's how you use it.

But you would know that, if you were trained and experienced.

I think you are a little outside your wheelhouse on this one. How about Mr A has the semi auto .22 and Mr B has got a AR 15. Let’s say they are 200 yards apart. Who do you want to be? A or B.

The man better trained to use his firearm and trained in situational awareness.

You guys really think it's all about the bigger tool and not the knowledge to use what you have?

This is the ignorance I see in many pro-firearm people and why they cannot properly defend their 2nd amendment right.

Have you guys even taken a basic defense/shooter course?

Yup way outside of your wheelhouse. The .22lr will not shoot anywhere near accurately in a semi at 200 yds. Two very important factors, the .22 has 1/10 of the delivered energy at 200yds and 10 times the trajectory drop at that distance. This round drops by over 5 feet at 200 yards. Makes it pretty hard to hit your target and even if you do somehow the delivered energy is pretty week.

You don’t want to take on a guy with an AR 15 at that distance with a .22lr.

Better get some schooling.

Obviously the point went well over your head.

My point must have gone way way over your head.

No, I understand the point you were trying to make. Unfortunately it was irrelevant to the point I was making.

Don’t pretend that you know anything about combat or weapons.

See. Combat and weapons had very little to do with my point.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   
You guys are arguing over semantics. What counts is what the states definition is for example in New jersey a BB gun is considered a fire arm. Check this out guys going to trial with a federal sentence for firearms over a bb gun.

www.nj.com...

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Do you get so caught up in spin and obfuscation that you don’t have a good memory of what you said?

You stated:

originally posted by: introvert Really? A well-trained person with a semi-auto 22 can take out a poorly-trained idiot with a fully-auto AR, AK, or whatever you want to choose.

Now you say that your post wasn’t about combat and weapons? You just don’t make any sense. Maybe a nap would help out.

It’s obvious from your posts that you have little to no knowledge about what you are trying so hard to discuss.
edit on 17-10-2017 by whywhynot because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: whywhynot

His whole point was the weapon is the tool, the person holding it is the real weapon...

His point was its not the weapon, its the intent of the person behind it......

How this was lost on you I have no idea......im sure it was just misunderstood

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Thank you for your intervention.

My point was that the tool is just as important. You can have all of the best training and intent but with an inferior tool you will fail. A superior tool gives you a leg up.

I probably failed in expressing myself adequately.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   

My point was that the tool is just as important. You can have all of the best training and intent but with an inferior tool you will fail.

Fail what?

What I understood by intent was:
If your intent is to assault someone then a 22 is an assault weapon
If your intent is to defend yourself then the same 22 is a defense weapon (yes we know not the best choice),
If your intent is to hunt then that same 22 is a hunting weapon and, finally
if shooting at competition then that 22 is a sporting weapon.

Substitute whatever caliber and it remains the same.

You seem to be using intent to describe the will to take someone out in a combat situation. That is not the same thing.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

My point was that the tool is just as important. You can have all of the best training and intent but with an inferior tool you will fail.

Fail what?

What I understood by intent was:
If your intent is to assault someone then a 22 is an assault weapon
If your intent is to defend yourself then the same 22 is a defense weapon (yes we know not the best choice),
If your intent is to hunt then that same 22 is a hunting weapon and, finally
if shooting at competition then that 22 is a sporting weapon.

Substitute whatever caliber and it remains the same.

You seem to be using intent to describe the will to take someone out in a combat situation. That is not the same thing.

Thank you, I understand your point.

I was responding to introvert’s point below in which he suggests that it is a combat situation wherein a well trained person can take out someone.

originally posted by: introvert Really? A well-trained person with a semi-auto 22 can take out a poorly-trained idiot with a fully-auto AR, AK, or whatever you want to choose.

Your comments on this are helpful.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82
a reply to: TrueBrit

Interesting aspect of the constitution that its written to protect the public from governments , in that it means you should be able to stockpile more weapons than the government.
Does anyone think they'd be able to compete ?

Well good luck to anyone who has the funds and storage space, because thats a lot of hardware.

So it protects the right to stockpile weapons of any type

then this is crazy because technically you could have sam launchers , icbm's , etc
yet this is a contradiction of the terrorism act surely?

No wonder this drives people insane

No one can compete in this day and age with the government procurement of weapons; but some are better supplied and armed than many would suspect. youtu.be...

youtu.be...

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Do you get so caught up in spin and obfuscation that you don’t have a good memory of what you said?

I stand by what I said. The 22 is a great firearm, in it's many forms, and I would put my money on the person better trained to use their weapon, rather than the person with the bigger "tool".

Then you come along and create a hypothetical situation in an attempt to catch me in a "gotcha" moment and I am not going to fall for it.

My premise still stands.

Now you say that your post wasn’t about combat and weapons?

On that part, I will concede. Yes, that can be considered about combat and their weapon of choice.

The overall premise of my posts have been that it's not what you use that is the issue. It's their will and intent.

Maybe a nap would help out. It’s obvious from your posts that you have little to no knowledge about what you are trying so hard to discuss.

Why would I care what you think? I've said nothing on this thread that indicates how informed I am on these sorts of issues.

Seems to me you just needed a reason to be a douche.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Any "trained" idiot,...could get that, with an "assault" butter knife. ...If I was a "Lib"? I'd start "banning" tableware! .. It's very up close, and VERY, ... "personal".

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   

So typical, obstinate to a fault. At least you admit finally that you are not informed.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   

But they are right. A trained soldier with a 22 rifle can take out say a gang banger that got his hands on an ak but has never even had the chance to train with it.

I'm thinking the term "poorly trained idiot" is vague and you are thinking good soldier vs. not so good soldier and maybe they meant typical soldier vs. a mall ninja.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   

a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Thank you for your intervention.

My point was that the tool is just as important. You can have all of the best training and intent but with an inferior tool you will fail. A superior tool gives you a leg up.

I probably failed in expressing myself adequately.

You kidding? I do this at least 5 times a day brother lol No harm no foul, I just saw you both saying the same thing in a different manner and thought I would throw a flag on the field lol

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   

The training required to infiltrate and stalk a target aren't something available to a civilian,it's because we kill not wound.
A .22 requires a surgically placed shot that a larger caliber would work for as a more traumatizing attack to a greater mass target.
The .22 is GOOD for assassins,not gun fights.
edit on 17-10-2017 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join