It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Jury Awards Man $1.3 Million after Home Video Proved Deputies Lied

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Then bygones are bygones and we'll move on; sorry for the misconception.

We're good, thanks for your reply

The 20 mill given to that lady who spilled hot coffee on her..now there is a crazy award, in these days I don't think 1.3 is that much.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   

I really can't put a price on a man's personal freedom. Considering he would lose everything had the charges stuck. Including the opportunity for future employment.

I agree that sadly, he's not "sticking to the man" by having the taxpayer's pay out for this settlement. Perhaps people will get more involved at a local level in their communities to overhaul corrupt dept.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: denybedoomed

I really can't put a price on a man's personal freedom.

I would like to see a price put on it, though. Wouldn't it make sense, for instances like this, if there was a set amount awarded per day for inappropriate/illegal (IMO) detention? It would make all of this so much easier.

I mean, as far as punitive damages are concerned, there should be a standard on which these types of instances are awarded.

Considering he would lose everything had the charges stuck. Including the opportunity for future employment.

But they didn't. We can't pay out people on hypotheticals.

I agree that sadly, he's not "sticking to the man" by having the taxpayer's pay out for this settlement. Perhaps people will get more involved at a local level in their communities to overhaul corrupt dept.

Yeah, I hope so. If something like that happened in my city or county, at the very least, I would be writing the city council about my outrage over it. I doubt that it would change much, but that would be the least that I would do. If too much of it happened, obviously that would dictate a different course.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
a reply to: infolurker

Pretty poor form by that officer--he should have hip-checked him first to redistribute Faulkenberry's weight onto his right leg prior to attempting the takedown. He wasn't even controlling is upper body properly to effectively complete the takedown--obviously.

All joking aside, the force was unnecessary, but this $1.3-million award is also ridiculous. But, hey, I'm sure that the police chief and the mayor will be drilling "necessary force" into their officers' heads for a while.

Then it will happen again once everyone gets complacent.

Faulkenberry appears to have done everything correctly in this instance. All it takes is that one jackass of a LEO to ruin it for all of them.

No it's not. $1.3 million isn't ENOUGH. It's called PUNITIVE DAMAGES -- the intent of a punitive ruling is to PUNISH the defendant. In this case, the defendant was the police department. I think a case can be made that $1.3 million has no practical effect on the department.

It's not like his medical bill for a black eye was 1.3 million. Also, how long did he spend time in jail wrongfully imprisoned -- did he lose his job? What effect did the wrongful arrest have on the victim? 1.3 mill is way too small, he got beat.

On top of that, all 3 of those officers should be arrested for felony assault of a wrongful prisoner and sentenced to maximum penalties. Police should be held to a higher standard and a zero tolerance policy put in place. Get caught victimizing someone -> maximum penalty and a dishonorable discharge from the police force, nationwide. If they did that, I bet you the narrative would change reallllllly fast. The police departments would cry and fight it saying they are afraid to act because of the legal punishments if they act wrongly, but I say -- there is a clear difference between intent and accident, so no -- that just doesn't fly.

I mean how many laws were broken in that video? Assault. No warrant. Moral Turpitude/falsifying a sworn testimony, wrongful arrest. I mean they charged this guy with felony assault of a police officer, yet he didn't even do anything at all. He could have been locked up for 10 years easy if he didn't have that camera.
edit on 18-10-2017 by SRPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   

I get what your saying, but assaulting an officer is a felony. And gaining employment after a felony charge is hard as sh$!. Yes it's hypothetical, but if the dept. Has employees that will lie to cover their own asses. No telling how far they'll go to ruin someone's life.

And that guy will probably be looking over his shoulder for a long time in that county.

These situations make my blood boil. Law enforcement in this country needs and overhaul. Especially with use of force and interactions with developmentally disabled individuals.

Can we agree on that?

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: denybedoomed
These situations make my blood boil. Law enforcement in this country needs and overhaul. Especially with use of force and interactions with developmentally disabled individuals.

Can we agree on that?

Philosophically, absolutely.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: SRPrime

So, I'm guessing that you didn't read through the thread before posting this response to me. I have addressed all of your concerns from my opinion at one point or another--I'm not willing to do it all again. If you really want to know my opinion, this thread is only three pages long.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 04:04 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

NO

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Personally, I think all law enforcement should have to wear cameras to record every incident. And when footage "mysteriously disappears" it's the civilian's word over the cops.

Cops know they can get away with anything because when it's their word against a civilian, they always win. Everything they do should be recorded, and when they fail to produce video evidence, it's their ass.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join