It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dubai Police are getting - yes, really! - hoverbikes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   

The police in Dubai are getting 'hoverbikes' derived from the technology developed for quadcopters. The 'bikes' are purely electric and will fly for 25 minutes on a charge. They have a top speed of 40 ish mph. While I realize weight savings is a real thing, having worked on rockets, but, damn, that looks scary. Like serious potential for long pork sushi.

gulfnews.com...

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

I really don't know which I found funnier the fact that they are going to have such a short air time or the end of your opening post but definitely worth a star and flag.

To me this is a possible mistake unless the Dubai government push ahead with it, there will be niche roles for these craft and as the technology matures and becomes more reliable, efficient and powerful this will definitely be the future of policing, it made me think of the Law master from Judge Dredd a motorcycle but there is a flying version and of course also of the chase scene from the opening of the star trek reboot movie were the child James T Kirk is wrecking his step dad's vintage car while being chased by a cop on a hover bike.

That said this is only one possible future and what we may actually see instead is electrified road's that charge your electric car by mile as a far more likely alternative since the petroleum conglomerates will never want to stop here non official tax on transport and that is one way they may maintain it.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   
25 minutes at 40 mph would be enough to get most people to work and it would be so much fun, commuting like that. Soon as Harley make one I am in!

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

If anyone can ID the electric motors used in it, please, post.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   

It come's back as being built by a Russian company that also has offices in the US.
hoverdna.com...
techacute.com...

This guy built a far more primitive version in his garden shed

I would imagine that while those prop's look lethal that four or at least three prop's would be necessary for some kind of stability but then we live in the fly by wire age so maybe two or even one are enough, with one though would it really just be a mini helicopter with it's payload over the prop.

A bit pricy but then mass production will bring that down.

edit on 16-10-2017 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   

New life plan. Move to Dubai. Become a cop.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Go go Dubai!

The future is now.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Looks like the Hoverbike Scorpion-3.

Pros: An article from earlier in the year claims they sell for a "mere" $150,000 (HERE). And the company that makes it is also working on a drone taxi (HERE) and a small cargo drone (HERE).

Cons: It flies up to 33 feet high. I think that in the US it would require a pilot's license since it flies above 15ft in the air (please correct me if I'm wrong). And it's Russian made, so I don't know how available it is here.

I would love to have one. (starts drooling)

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Those open propellers look safe.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 10:22 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Cool toy for someone but lame for cops!! At that speed and travel time at least. Increase both the speed and time and you're talking.

But come on, it's just more Dubai bling and money being spent without any regard to value.

Don't get me wrong, they are cool, but just not at the level of Law Enforcement. Carrying a person like that is clearly possible but still not quite at the level of practical yet. Gotta get some kind of major energy storage advancement happening for this stuff to be really cool.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Cool but those exposed propellers are dangerous. All I can think about is how there are flying cars In the new Blade Runner movie but police are the only ones seen flying them.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Think about security outside of major sports events or for protests. Most security would be normal, but they'd have the ability to call in a few hoverbike riders as instant backup to fly over fences, tall walls, traffic, parking lots, etc. It can also be used like surveillance drones or mini-helicopters (as in, to give police "eyes in the sky"). But unlike helicopters and drones, the hoverbike riders would also have the ability to quickly land and arrest or help people.

I'm imagining some patrolling cops in a testy situation, so they call in a squad of hoverbike riders who can simply fly over traffic and land at the scene. Or maybe a single cop is chasing a suspect on foot, so he calls in a hover squad that's tracking his location through GPS. The hover squad can probably arrive quicker because they could easily fly directly to the location instead of going through traffic, going around enclosed areas, etc.

ETA: Did i mention that I really want one of these? (drools)
edit on 16-10-2017 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Yeah I get it. But it just seems a bit flamboyant and less practical to me than other options of what to do with your money. But of course when you have so much you no longer think about things the same way. The cops already use Ferrari's and other super expensive cars there already. Which again is cool in a way, but I mean really???

But of course I'm probably just being too cynical and negative about it all. It will make for cool action movie scenes being shot in Dubai though, so there's that.

I wouldn't mind having one either BTW.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Will this concept as of the flying cars be a precursor to antigravity vehicles in the near future?

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Looks like fun, but still a bit low tech, using rotors as a fan. I believe Dyson sells bladeless fans, why cant that tech be used for lift devices. Also, why not even use current tech ICE motorcycle engine, that either charges batteries, or has a direct drive through a gearbox to mechanical operated "Fans" that still operate via the throttle and engine revs, and tilt etc for rapid forward motion. Probably need a parachute or some sort of inflatalble device for emergency descents.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I want one!!!!!... Wait i believe this would count as a necessity. So really i need one.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 04:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: gort51
I believe Dyson sells bladeless fans, why cant that tech be used for lift devices.

Its still got a fan....it's just hidden in the housing and blows the air up into the fancy ring with holes.

Probably less efficient air throughput than an equivalent conventional desktop fan due to internal friction so same would apply to a hoverbike.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 04:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
25 minutes at 40 mph would be enough to get most people to work and it would be so much fun, commuting like that. Soon as Harley make one I am in!

Uhhh...maybe for a podunk town but not any decently busy metropolis w any amount of traffic....

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

I understand where you're coming from. One one hand, it is definitely a display of wealth and prosperity. Though at $150,000, it's less than some of the ex-military gear that some of our police have. I haven't gotten to go there yet, but I've heard that people there also keep all kinds of crazy exotic animals as pets (like lions, cheetahs or leopards, tigers, etc).

But on the other hand, it's the uses of new technology like this that makes a civilization "advanced" in the first place. Things like maglev high speed rail, desalination facilities, personal helicopters, and the most advanced cars, construction techniques, fabrics, etc is what separates a "new Atlantis" from an "old school city". I guess I see it like poorer regions complaining because Americans spend so much money on unnecessary stuff like cosmetic surgery, huge flat screen tvs, all kinds of processed foods, vacation homes, shiny & expensive rims for cars, the latest consumer gadgets, etc.

Dubai's simply taken what we do and pushed it to the max. We could do that too if we didn't waste all of our taxpayer dollars on a massive empire of overseas bases and the MIC's latest gadgets.

As much as I'd love one of these, I'd really love a 2 seater version. Then I could take my nephew flying
. Unfortunately, I don't have the slightest bit of faith in its safety right now. I'd have to see A LOT of tests before I could fly him around in something like this.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join