It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bowe Bergdahl pleads guilty in desertion case

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Sentencing has been delayed two days.

Darn it.

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

BS.. a dishonorable discharge and a $10,000 fine.

Should have gotten life.

www.yahoo.com...

A military judge ruled Friday that Bowe Bergdahl should serve no prison time for endangering his comrades by walking off his Afghanistan post.

The judge also gave Bergdahl a dishonorable discharge, reduced his rank to private and said he must forfeit pay equal to $1,000 per month for 10 months. The judge made no other comments.

edit on R222017-11-03T11:22:41-05:00k2211Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   
This is bull. He should have gotten life. One can only hope he 'mans up' and swallows a a round. This is disgraceful...

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I hereby call for the KNOCK OUT game on his ass,from troops FOR HIS LIFE .
IF you see him CLOCK him....
edit on 3-11-2017 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Wow, honestly brave and good men died to try and find this piece of # and he essentially skates.

edit on 3-11-2017 by jadedANDcynical because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   
WT actual F?

Well, that's disappointing. Apparently the lives of those honorable soldiers who actually did their duty aren't worth as much as this walking (unfortunately), talking (equally unfortunately), reason for birth control (wow, that was a lot of edits) life.

My father, and three of my Uncles are spinning in their graves.

He really ought to be in jail, actually, under the jail.
edit on 11/3/2017 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   

I would really love to know the reasoning behind that. That presiding judge needs to explain himself, not to me, as I don't rate an explanation. But to the families of those soldiers who were killed looking for this sad sack of industrial waste...they're the ones who deserve an explanation.

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

he already lay the groundwork when he said he was not sure the traitor could get a fair hearing because of trumps comments, even though it was not a jury trial.

anger does not even begin to cover what I feel, he basically got the punishment of a DUI in todays military for desertion during a conflict, causing injury and death to his comrades that searched for him as well as those that got injured by one of the 5 traded for his release...pushed against a wall and shot should have been an option in this, but I would have accepted 20 to life in Leavenworth.
edit on 3-11-2017 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Survived the Taliban and probably a public head removal by Al Qaeda only for our US members in here wishing him the worst. The guy obviously had some sort of breakdown. Well done...

A British Soldier strayed off base looking for night vision he left at his arse somewhere, (allegedly)..... Didn't end too well for that guy. He was dead within hours.
edit on 3-11-2017 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

That's, I guess, what I get for paying absolutely zero attention to Twitter... Or, Facebook, for that matter...

I'm so out of the loop apparently.

Those "reasons" are cop outs. As you said, it wasn't a jury trial. It was, supposedly, officers of unimpeachable integrity (I've doubts...) sitting in judgement as defined by UCMJ. Has that suddenly changed? Now it's fear of public opinion that rules the day, rather than right and wrong... Good to know.

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

He deserted. His fellow soldiers were killed while searching for what they, mistakenly as it turns out, assumed was a kidnapped fellow soldier.

He's a coward. ...and should be in jail for a good portion of the rest of his life. If that's wishing ill, so be it.

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

By his own words he chose to leave his post during wartime, once upon a time the penalty for that was fairly severe.

When you consider the injuries some suffered while trying to find him, its a direct slap in the face to the families of those still struggling to recover from their injuries.

That is the main reason I felt he deserved more.

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   

"fairly severe" is one way to phrase it.

Death is fairly severe. Firing squad or hanging.

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   

No argument from me, I could have lived hard labor but last time I looked the UCMJ was pretty clear about desertion in war time.

Cannot wait to see the unintended consequences of this decision on the rest of the military.

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Life at hard labor would have worked for me. I've no great need to see him dead, as he's less important to me than what I just scraped off the bottom of my shoes.

I do, however, wonder what the other families think about this? I'd pay money to be a fly on the wall were that "honorable" officer/judge to attempt to explain his thinking to those families. Wonder what the reaction would be?

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   

There are a lot of seriously pissed of former and current military right now. REALLY pissed off.

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Yup.

Just got back from the shooting range--most of 'em are former military, US and other, and to a man and woman, they're pissed.

I would hazard a guess that there is a lot of fan mail arriving in certain circles...like the Pentagon, and Congress.

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   

I wouldn't be surprised if more than one person involved takes a long vacation at an undisclosed location. And it's only going to be worse if he wins his appeal.
edit on 11/3/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Were it me, those "judges", and I use the term loosely, would find their next duty stations somewhat less than accommodating.

Say, boots on the ground in Afghanistan, or somewhere similar. ...then again, why inflict them on honorable men and women who actually do their duty? Unlike Bergdahl the sack of **hashtag**.

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   

He is appealing a guilty plea?

Well if he does so and he gets off... there goes another hit to the morale of the military.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join