posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 09:30 AM
So on the advice of several members here, I took a look at the game Elite: Dangerous.
Liking what I was seeing and reading about the game, not to mention I played the original back in 1992....wow....35 years makes a BIG difference,
hehehehe.....I got the game as a birthday present for myself and have been having a blast with it!
Being an ex Eve Online player (played Eve for about 6 or 7 years), I can't help but compare the two, pros and cons:
1) Elite you have to buy the game, but it's free to play either solo or online. Eve the game is free, but you have to pay a monthly fee to play.
2) Elite you can play either off line or online, seamless transfer, don't have to start over again, etc, etc. Eve has no off line play.
3) Eve Online has about 7,800 star systems.....Elite has around 400 BILLION systems. Only 0.004% of the galaxy has been explored by Elite players and
it's estimated it will take 54,000 years real time to explore it all!
4) Exploring in Eve is very hard and dangerous since most of the "Null Sec" systems are owned by players, and unless you belong to their corps, you
have to ninja it. Exploring in Elite is hard too, but only because the unknown is VAST. Players do not own space there (not technically).
5) Mining is easier in Eve that Elite. However: it can take very long real times to "train" up enough to mine properly in Eve, and it can get
expensive. Most of the areas where you could "strike it rich" in Eve are controlled by other players.
6) No "training" in Elite: love this. If you can buy the ship, you can fly it and use all the equipment for it. That is one thing that drove me up
the wall with Eve - the long training times, and the players controlling the price of the training books.
You get the idea, I could go on and on about the differences.
However, another point of my thread here is: I'm looking into possibly joining groups to play with. I'm not big on PVP, and only did PVE in Eve.
Here in Elite, I avoid interdictions as best as I can.
I'm more into hauling / trading, mining (once I can get comfy in how mining is done in Elite), and of course Exploring (I outfitted a Diamondback
Explore and went over 2200 ly out from the Bubble....I ended up getting credit for quite a few objects not reported yet, so my name is on some things
now....another cool thing about Elite over Eve).
I'm pretty sure that there are more than likely all sorts of online groups with Elite (like Eve's Player Corps). I'm looking to join up with one,
so if anyone knows of some good groups, please drop me a post here, or PM me.
I may not be online here very much however, so you can also contact me in game if you play too. I'm Andy Legate in game (yes, gasp, my name, just
like my YouTube vids, heheheh).
Looking forward to hearing from people.