It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Wharton Professor: 'Trump Was the Dumbest G*ddamn Student I Ever Had'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: underwerks

If it is that easy to do, then most anyone could be a business mogul.

With a few million dollars from Daddy, you'd be surprised what most people are capable of.

If it were so easy, then you wouldn't see so many athletes and entertainers going broke from "bad business investments".

Regardless of how much of a leg up he had, turning a few million into billions is not easy. Also, when you consider that he has also gone bankrupt and then recreated the wealth, you cannot deny his heart and talent.

If it were all about having access to capital, then you wouldn't have such high failure rates for businesses in general. Something like 50-95% of venture backed companies fail (the failure rate depends on how you define failure) which by definition have millions of dollars and they still fail.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   

With a few million dollars from Daddy, you'd be surprised what most people are capable of.

Again, if it were that easy, then no one would ever get poorer. There would be no reason for it to happen. Even idiots could make money.

This assumption goes hand in glove with the idea that the reason why so many who are at the bottom economically are at the bottom is because others "got there first" and simply have more. That's an overly simplistic notion.

What on earth do you think happens when a store goes out of business? Do you think no one loses money or capital on that?!

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

If I had a rich dad who gave me inheritance plus a few million to start up a business then I'm sure I'd be pretty successful too. Trump has tons of advisors and a board of directors that do most of the thinking for him, because he could afford to pay them to do that from the start thanks to his dad's success.

Anything Trump has tried to do outside of real estate and reality TV he has failed at, other than suckering millions into voting him into the Oval Office of course.

Trump is a product of his father's success for the most part and has made his fortune off the backs of less fortunate people.
edit on 10/16/2017 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

How far do you actually $1 million goes when you start talking about business at that level, especially when you start talking about the cost of doing business in a state like New York.

I'm pretty sure based off that remark that you likely wouldn't do nearly as well as you think you would.
edit on 16-10-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

If I had a rich dad who gave me inheritance plus a few million to start up a business then I'm sure I'd be pretty successful too. Trump has tons of advisors and a board of directors that do most of the thinking for him, because he could afford to pay them to do that from the start thanks to his dad's success.

Anything Trump has tried to do outside of real estate and reality TV he has failed at, other than suckering millions into voting him into the Oval Office of course.

Trump is a product of his father's success for the most part and has made his fortune off the backs of less fortunate people.

Again, companies with millions of dollars in start up capital fail all the time. Not only do angel investors, venture capital and private equity firms provide capital, but they also usually have board seats and other advisers to ensure the entrepreneurs' business doesn't fail. Yet, they still fail way more than they succeed. For every Google or Facebook, the business grave yard is littered with hundreds of failures.

Yes, Trump had a leg up. A lot of entrepreneurs do. It does take money to make money more often than not. However, it still takes talent to turn that money into billions. Further, given Trump had a silver spoon, he most certainly didn't have to risk it all and he did unlike say the Kennedy's who have just lived off their family fortune and went into a low risk endeavor like politics.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

His rise in corporate success coincides with his rise in pigheaded brutishness, if you study his early days.

Imagine that.

I'll admit, it might be hard for most people to get rid of the part of their humanity it would take to make it to where Trump is in the corporate world. But it isn't only about the money, that's only one part.

What is just as important as the daddy loan is the daddy circle of friends that won't let little Trump fail when he made a mistake starting out. And throughout his career. A correct support system is just as important as the money.

No one seems to talk about that though. It's all about a "self-made business genius with the largest IQ", right? I mean, Trump said so...

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: bgerbger

Small Comment.

Lengthy cut and paste.

Small Comment.

Lengthy Cut And paste.

Lengthy Cut And Paste.

Trump is stupid.

The equation looks correct, at least.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Again, if it were that easy, then no one would ever get poorer. There would be no reason for it to happen. Even idiots could make money.

This assumption goes hand in glove with the idea that the reason why so many who are at the bottom economically are at the bottom is because others "got there first" and simply have more. That's an overly simplistic notion.

What on earth do you think happens when a store goes out of business? Do you think no one loses money or capital on that?!

I couldn't think of a more simplistic notion than assuming someone is intelligent because they've been able to make a lot of money.

That seems to be a common theme in people who have neither.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   

His rise in corporate success coincides with his rise in pigheaded brutishness, if you study his early days.

Imagine that.

I'll admit, it might be hard for most people to get rid of the part of their humanity it would take to make it to where Trump is in the corporate world. But it isn't only about the money, that's only one part.

What is just as important as the daddy loan is the daddy circle of friends that won't let little Trump fail when he made a mistake starting out. And throughout his career. A correct support system is just as important as the money.

No one seems to talk about that though. It's all about a "self-made business genius with the largest IQ", right? I mean, Trump said so...

I don't necessarily disagree with you. And again, so what? Success in business requires a lot of luck, support, and capital. Most successful entrepreneurs, even those that are alleged self-made, will still have those support systems in place.

I'm failing to see your point other than you stating the obvious that applies to practically every successful entrepreneur, not just Trump.

You don't have to like Trump, but to deny his success shows your partisanship. I don't like Obama, but I won't deny his skill as a politician. Just like in the other thread about Hillary maybe getting a teaching role at Columbia. I don't like her politics, but I wouldn't deny her value as a professor given what she has actually accomplished politically.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Ah, moving the goal posts.

So now, it's not that he had a leg up and that's why he made money because anyone can make money if they have money handed to them.

Now it's just because anyone who's nasty and handed money can make money.

Stop making excuses.

Trump had some talent for making money. You can attribute it to whatever you want, but to say that anyone who's nasty can make money is demeaning to those who have a talent for business and entrepreneurship. You might interpret it as "nastiness" but then again plenty of people these days like to interpret a talent for football as a talent for brutishness too when the plain truth is that there is a talent involved or else everyone who was nasty and brutish could simply slap on pads and play football or make money and we all know that's not the case.
edit on 16-10-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   

When your dad has a multimillion dollar real estate business and gives you all the tools you need to run it, including advisors and other connections, I'm willing to bet 99% of people could be successful with that kind of familial business background.

Why has he failed at pretty much every other venture he's made outside of real estate, his dad's already successful forte? It's because he rode the coattails of his dad, that's why. It's not hard to run a business when other people do the thinking for you.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I guess everyone needs to get some attention. I fail to see what happened half a century ago has to do with today. Hell my first year at college I majored in Pahtay.
Turrible GPA.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: bgerbger

While this may all be true, and Trump may not be everyone's favorite person, he was smart enough to enact a campaign, say wildly stupid things so the MSM would cover him, only to mock him, thus giving him free airtime and brand recognition. He then defeated Hillary Clinton in a rigged election (not in his favor). So while he may not be the smartest billionaire out there, he was able to do some things most of us have yet to accomplish. Unless you are one of the Bushes.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   

So your contention is that nothing he's done, he's done?

If that's the case, why does anyone keep him around?

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Because he's the one who owns the company and doles out the paychecks. Why does any employee of any company keep their boss when they're the ones who do the majority of the work? Because they'll get fired if they try, if they even had that power to begin with.
edit on 10/16/2017 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Because he's the one who owns the company and doles out the paychecks. Why does any employee of any company keep their boss when they're the ones who do the majority of the work? Because they'll get fired if they try, if they even had that power to begin with.

So now you're into the idea that no boss anywhere actually ever does anything of any value to any company or business?

I am going to go back to my assertion I made earlier that even if someone gave you enough capital to start a business, you'd lose it because you don't understand anything about it.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   

I didn't say that, there are plenty of bosses who started their own businesses and built it from the ground up, Trump didn't, he rode the coattails of his dad.

He speaks at a 4th grade level, usually the way someone speaks is a good indicator of their intelligence.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Not even close to 99%. I have at least a dozen friends from high school who took over their parents businesses, some very large, and tanked them. Most used the money and profile and went broke living outside their means and doing a lot of drugs and partying.

His dad also told him not to leave where they were to go to Manhattan and stay a slum lord. He did not. For all the putting down of Trump I do not think many of you understand the scope of what he did for NY and how large his empire is.

So he got a 'loan' which is paid back. THAT is a fact.

Bill Gates dropped out of college. Made a ton of money. You know who else dropped out of high school? Walt Disney? School does not make a person. it should help a person fine tune what they are good at but not all people need it.

I would not mind being called a dumbass and have Trumps money. Professor probably died broke with a tweed coat and a signed copy of To Kill a Mockingbird to his name.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   

I didn't say that, there are plenty of bosses who started their own businesses and built it from the ground up, Trump didn't, he rode the coattails of his dad.

He speaks at a 4th grade level, usually the way someone speaks is a good indicator of their intelligence.

You do realize that journalists also speak at about that level? They write there too ...

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Great post. The world is now so full of hate it is crazy. It was not like this in the 80's and 90's. People were happy and looking forward to life. Now, it is blame everyone for everything even if it does not affect you.

Sad...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join