It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A first in Canada: Drone collides with passenger plane above Quebec City airport

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 08:58 PM
link   
It was bound to happen, scary story

www.cbc.ca...

Drone was too high and too close to airport

He estimated that, at the time of impact, the drone was flying at a height of about 450 metres or 1,500 feet.

edit on 15-10-2017 by Perfect stranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Hopefully the government doesn't get any ideas, to try and somehow "prove" to us how we do not need drones. Would they bring down an airliner to ban them? Yea.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Wont be long before airports have scramblers to down Drones too close to flight paths on takeoff and landing.That or register drones.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Wow, indeed it was bound to happen, this dumbass drone pilot will be responsible for new regulations and restrictions.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

My brother works for a security company that is doing just that, prisons primarily but I'm sure he said airports too..

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

Not sure about "Paradise" or Canada but registration is already required in the US.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Perfect stranger

I hope the pilot is found and charged.
Owning my own drone company, I am a stickler for our aviation rules and regs.
This clown not only made drone pilots look bad (yet again!) but he also deliberately jeopardized the 8 lives on board that flight.

Not only should he not have been flying within 5 and a half KMs of an airport, but he also shouldn't have been over 90 meters AGL.

Again, I hope he is found and charged.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

Actually don't have to register non-commercial drones in the US anymore.
Americans no longer have to register non-commercial drones with the FAA

-dex

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82

This clown not only made drone pilots look bad (yet again!) but he also deliberately jeopardized the 8 lives on board that flight.

Not only should he not have been flying within 5 and a half KMs of an airport, but he also shouldn't have been over 90 meters AGL.

Edit to add: This year alone, there has been 1596 incidents reported in Canada.
edit on 15-10-2017 by Macenroe82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   
If I see a drone flying over my property, I will get out the shotgun. Birdshot will not go outside of my property line, Number six should mess it up. I live out in the country. I should make a disruptor that will mess with communications of any drones over the house. I read how to make them, but you don't want to aim it at your car or any electronics . It supposedly just scrambles the signal somehow. The article mentioned what you needed and I checked and the board was available from a source. It only had a range of around a couple hundred feet if I remember right.

This looks easier, I wonder how much they cost? makezine.com... The parts to make the one I was looking at would cost about two hundred bucks.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Jesus, think the article exaggerates slightly?

He said that "it could have been much more serious" and that if the drone had collided with the cockpit or the engine, the incident could have been "catastrophic."

BS. If it hit the cockpit, unless it was a Predator sized UAV they would barely have noticed. If it hit the engine, it would have been bad, but unless they screwed the pooch, they should have been able to get it on the ground.

It would have been far more dangerous if they were flying by hand and the impact startled them, and they jerked the controls.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Another solution to the problem, other than those mentioned by previous posters, is called 'SkyFence';

SkyFence (a system developed by a company called DroneFence) creates a protective dome-of-sorts around any given area. It has been reported that this dome extends as far as 2,000ft (600m).

It's capable of 'knowing drone type and vendor by unique drone footprint', performing 'real-Time Tracking of UAV and Pilot position. 2D and 3D mapping on mobile devices', and 'sending a signal to the UAV which initiates a landing or return home function'.

Here's a short (1:25) video outlining some of its features and functions;

More information on the system can be found on their company websites
DroneDefence.Co.UK & DroneDefence.Com.

Ironically, the worlds first installation of this system inside a prison is just across the drink from me, on our sister Island of Guernsey (Les Nicolles prison). The Governor of our local Prison (La Moye) is said to be monitoring its success.

UK Prison Deploys Anti-Drone Shield to Quash Aerial Invaders

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 05:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

I couldn't agree more with that sentiment. I've been collecting and operating some pretty high powered lasers for some 18 years now, both for my own pleasure and in a professional capacity.

Every time I read about idiots lighting up aircraft, vehicles etc., it seriously grinds my gears. There's always at least one fool out to spoil it for the rest of us.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Yeah, legislation is coming. Nobody is going to take the risk of having an aircraft downed and the authorities being accused of not having done anything to prevent it.

Although I'm sort of okay with the idea of idiots flying drones near airports being sent to jail.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I know a lot of the new drone manufacturers have the ability to implement an internal geo-fence within the drones firmware.
Here is an excerpt from DJI's press announcement in its regards:

"DJI, the world’s leading maker of unmanned aerial vehicles, Tuesday introduced an improved version of its geofencing system in the latest update to the DJI GO app that controls its Phantom and Inspire aerial platforms.

The industry-leading Geospatial Environment Online (GEO) software will help pilots avoid flying drones near airports and other sensitive locations, and automatically updates with temporary flight restrictions around wildfires to help protect authorized firefighting aircraft and help ensure fire crews can operate without disruption."

Link to Full Article

This has been in effect since July 2016.
They also limit the height of the drones firmware to 500 meters AGL, but they can still travel up to 7 KM's linear.
Why you would want to send your $2500 drone out 7 KM's is beyond me, but you can if you want to.

Of course, there are ways around the 500 meter ceiling. Anyone can go online and find out how to remove that restriction from within the firmware.
I have seen videos of idiots online sending their crafts above the clouds.

However!!!
DJI will be able to combat that with this tech:

Drone tracker link

In short - DJI will now monitor whos drones are in the sky and where.

This will be particularly useful in light of another incident similar to the other days collision.

But like everything else, people will find a way around this.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

He said that "it could have been much more serious" and that if the drone had collided with the cockpit or the engine, the incident could have been "catastrophic."

BS. If it hit the cockpit, unless it was a Predator sized UAV they would barely have noticed. If it hit the engine, it would have been bad, but unless they screwed the pooch, they should have been able to get it on the ground.

It would have been far more dangerous if they were flying by hand and the impact startled them, and they jerked the controls.
Probably no worst than a bird strike with a duck.
edit on 16-10-2017 by Nickn3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82

Agreed, there is no more room for another dipstick, there ain't no such thing as sacrificial metal in an aircraft.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

Not sure about "Paradise" or Canada but registration is already required in the US.

Trump got rid of registration a while back. A $5 permit that cost $500 or more to process.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

I can'r believe what you say there Zaph, although I give you you don't mention parameters.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

How many planes crash annually from bird strikes? A drone will do significantly less damage than a bird.

Hell, a UH-60 over New York suffered a hit to the cockpit and rotor by a DJI drone, and it landed just fine. The drone bounced off the cockpit door hard enough to damage it, then bounced up into the rotor hard enough to damage the blade it hit. They flew long enough to make a precautionary landing in New Jersey.

You're telling me that a commercial plane is that much more fragile than a helicopter?
edit on 10/16/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join