It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if NK supported terrorists attack the 2018 winter olympics in South Korea?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   
What would happen if North Korean operatives or supported communist terrorists attack the olympic winter games february 2018 in South Korea?

en.wikipedia.org...

Would that be a casus belli for the US?

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Why the U.S?

One would think that if something like that happened, it would be a world problem.

N. Korea should be a problem for a collective of countries.

The U.S is not the world's police.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   
They would risk the might of the entire world? I don't think so. They talk tough but the know the would be obliterated if they actually started a war.
edit on -05:002017Sun, 15 Oct 2017 18:07:33 -050031America/Chicago000000Sun, 15 Oct 2017 18:07:33 -0500SunAmerica/ChicagoOct by PorteurDeMort because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Black_Fox

Actually, for better, or worse, the US is the world policeman. It made itself that during the cold war, and now, still retains the position.

I admit that I'm a bit torn on the issue. It's a very expensive service to provide and I don't ascribe to any position of moral superiority. On the other hand, to leave the world to it's own devices, as history has taught, is more expensive in blood.

Ultimately, if there has to be a "world policeman", I prefer it to be the US.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: greyhat

What do you think?

Why wouldn't other countries react to an attack of this nature?

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I have to agree with seagull and the above, it would be a global problem because citizens from many nations would be the target of such an attack.

Although South Korea isn't a member of NATO, they are considered a "Major Non-NATO Ally" as labeled by George H.W. Bush in 1989. Even though South Korea isn't a NATO ally, other NATO nations certainly have citizens participating in the event. So any such attack would most likely still fall under NATO's article 5 prompting an "all for one" retaliatory action.

The North may be bellicose, but they appear to value their regime above all else. In this respect, attacking any ally of the United States would bring about a quick end to the regime. That isn't to say that some kind of lone-wolf or non-state actor couldn't orchestrate such an attack, but North Korea realizes nuclear weapons material can be traced to its origin.

JB

edit on 10/15/2017 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Black_Fox
Why the U.S?

The U.S is not the world's police.

sure has acted like it since post WWII...

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 04:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: greyhat
What do you think? Why wouldn't other countries react to an attack of this nature?

Other countries don't have such an amount of troops there und bringing them in by sea would take time.

Maybe my question wasn't clear enough, i meant "would that trigger a quick reaction of the US"?

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 05:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: greyhat
What would happen if North Korean operatives or supported communist terrorists attack the olympic winter games february 2018 in South Korea?

Would anyone attack if hundreds of hostages are held captive, including every foreign athlete ?

So instead of 'attack', hostages are taken instead.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Rapha

Since the United States doesn't negotiate with terrorists, yes that would probably be declared an act of war. At this point in the game, it wouldn't take much for massive retaliation against them. They are also walking a fine line of preventative/preemptive strikes (which ~50% of the GOP support). I firmly believe if NK's weapons become a credible threat they will be handled swiftly, and KJU won't be very pleased with the outcome.

top topics

join