It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Austria set to elect EU's youngest leader in rightwing push

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   
link

A rightward shift in the wealthy European Union member of 8.75 million people would be a fresh headache for Brussels as it struggles with Britain's decision to leave and the rise of nationalists in Germany, Hungary, Poland and elsewhere.

But all signs indicate that Austrians, fed up with a record influx of asylum-seekers, want to swap the gridlocked centrist rule for a more hardline government for the first time in a decade.

I'd like to hear from our Austrian members about this. More and more it seems people are fed up with the EU's Immigration plans.

People want more than the status quo.

Honestly I was surprised Merkel won re-election in Germany. Was that more a reflection of her oppositions lack of ability/platform rather than a Mandate of her?

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil
link

A rightward shift in the wealthy European Union member of 8.75 million people would be a fresh headache for Brussels as it struggles with Britain's decision to leave and the rise of nationalists in Germany, Hungary, Poland and elsewhere.

But all signs indicate that Austrians, fed up with a record influx of asylum-seekers, want to swap the gridlocked centrist rule for a more hardline government for the first time in a decade.

I'd like to hear from our Austrian members about this. More and more it seems people are fed up with the EU's Immigration plans.

People want more than the status quo.

Honestly I was surprised Merkel won re-election in Germany. Was that more a reflection of her oppositions lack of ability/platform rather than a Mandate of her?
The rise in nationalism will continue until the fall of the failed project EU! Immigration has all but destroyed Europe as a nice and safer place to live. Opportunities are less and problems are greater! Bye Bye EU, EU Bye Bye! At some stage I expect Denmark and France to move to the right after they are fed up with the Eurofile twerp they have right now.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

The agenda is so 'in our faces' it is truly a wonder people have not completely woken up. "nationalism" is not only being demonized in the USA, but "WHITE nationalism" is also being called racism.

The anti-white/anti-American agenda is right in front of our noses.
edit on 15-10-2017 by chadderson because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: chadderson

The agenda is so 'in our faces' it is truly a wonder people have not completely woken up. "nationalism" is not only being demonized in the USA, but "WHITE nationalism" is also being called racism.

I know. Nationalism and Populism are verboten words now. Imagine caring for your country and it's ordinary citizens, what a crazy concept.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   

link

More and more it seems people are fed up with the EU's Immigration plans.

I think many many people within the EU have zero issues with immigration, the issue is that the quality coming in are the absolute bottom of the barrel and the shear numbers are mind boggling, the situation in Syria was a situation that I believe very few would have not accepted true refugees but what the hell where people from Eritrea, Tunisia, Morocco and Somaila etc etc piled in and under the same umbrella as true refugees..

Fact is EU leaders where asleep at the f#cking wheel and you end up with the situation we have today..

Sure bring in doctors, surgeons and the like, not people that truly hate the west and the way of life who have bugger all education and in many cases have no vetting or even basic information about them such as their first port of entry.

Entire communities have changed and believe me not for the better, of course it was going to end up with native people getting to a breaking point.. I honestly believe the only thing stopping a full blown cluster f#ck is the natives are to well mannered.

For a blue print look at Paris for the worst case and London for a totally alien city, I am fairly positive if someone from the good old US of Awesome that lived in typical middle America was to come to either city they would have a rude awakening to the heritage of the populas,.

RA

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   

The word nationalism has, to my knowledge, always had an extremist connotation.

It's one thing to be patriotic, to love one's own country. It's another when that zeal becomes a blinding fervor that short circuits reason. It's like the difference between being in love and being so obsessed with your lover that you'd rather see her dead than with anyone else.

Or the difference between being devout and being a religious extremist who will blow himself up, killing people in the name of religion. In short the difference between patriotism and nationalism really boils down to how extreme the feelings are.

That said, we're not really talking about patriotic extremism here either exactly. It's more like European pan-nationalism. The fact that a person can whine that "white nationalism" is being called racism and that doesn't set off any alarm bells in your head is a bit concerning. It should be anyway because white nationalism is inherently racist — hence the "white" — and if you can't recognize that fundamental reality, you're no longer thinking rationally.

White nationalists want a white nation. A nation of white people. Is that patriotism?
edit on 2017-10-15 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

The word nationalism has, to my knowledge, always had an extremist connotation.

It's one thing to be patriotic, to love one's own country. It's another when that zeal becomes a blinding fervor that short circuits reason. It's like the difference between being in love and being so obsessed with your lover that you'd rather see her dead than with anyone else.

Or the difference between being devout and being a religious extremist who will blow himself, killing people in the name of religion. In short the difference between patriotism and nationalism, really boils down to how extreme the feelings are.

That said, we're not really talking about patriotic extremism here either exactly. It's more like European pan-nationalism. The fact that a person can whine that "white nationalism" is being called racism and that doesn't set off any alarm bells in your head is a bit concerning. It should be anyway because white nationalism is inherently racist — hence the "white" — and if you can't recognize that fundamental reality, you're no longer thinking rationally.

White nationalists want a white nation. A nation of white people. Is that patriotism?

Nowadays expressing a preference for your own country above other countries is considered a bad thing in the age of the UN/Globalism/Multiculturalism/ Post Modernism/EU.

The poster was talking about how "Nationalism" has morphed into the "White Nationalism" that some people now want to call Racists. The intentional blending of those terms is troubling to me. You can be a Nationalist/Patriot of your country and not have racist tendencies. Yes any idealogy taken to extremes is problematic, but to lump all nationalists as racist is going to that same extreme of the spectrum.

People can care for their own country and own citizens more than they do other Nations and nationals of said countries. It's not a bad thing in of itself. Taken to extremes yes. It's just as bad as the extremes of unlimited Immigration and Globalism that people seem to be rebelling against.

I'm all for helping my nation and neighbors and allies first and foremost, even at the expense of others. Those that don't share my values ect, are further down the pecking order and I don't feel bad about that. It's just the way things are. Btw, my nation includes people from quite a variety of races, religions and ethnic backgrounds. I'm for taking care of your own first, then you can help others after that.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Not sure about all that. I think there's a linguistic trap in there. A "white nationalist" is not the same thing as a "nationalist who is white."

If your nation has historically been a white one, then your nationalism will probably tend to be skewed towards your white compatriots. But that doesn't necessarily mean you have the values of a white nationalist (which we all know is really a euphemism for "borderline neo-Nazi")

In practice, some people are both without realising it, but that's not the point. I don't find nationalism (in nations that have historically been majority white) particularly problematic. I admit it makes me a little uncomfortable, but I have a sort of romantic and conservative streak and always have had.

E.g., I remember once as a child telling my grandfather, who lived in the countryside, that he shouldn't be allowed to have a television. My reasoning was that the countryside should be preserved in some pure and untainted state, uncorrupted by modernity, like a reservation where it was still the 18th Century. I can't have been more than eight years old.

I think a lot of nationalism is like that. I think the really telling thing is that many, if not most, people on the left in Britain would unhesitatingly denounce nationalism as "dangerous" but would also unhesitatingly support independence for Scotland (and, more recently, Catalonia in Spain). Orwell had a word for that: "Doublethink."

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Of course 'nationalism' can be and is abused....as any ism or group, for that matter.

I would add that there is a definite similarity between nationalism and individuality. A distinction. A difference.

In the U.S., the original concept stressed that individuality. Both for that 'individual', himself, and each state. That has been almost fully lost. It never existed in the EU, or disappeared in a comparative heartbeat, from what I can see.

That latitude for difference may be the singular benefit of nationalism.

At least, as important as individual rights.
For without that concept on a national basis, what chance for it on an individual level?

edit on 15-10-2017 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: chadderson

I know. Nationalism and Populism are verboten words now. Imagine caring for your country and it's ordinary citizens, what a crazy concept.

I wonder how long it will take for the USA to shed the false virtue shaming being leveled at people that simply question our immigration problem, let alone suggesting steps to fix it.

Simply saying, 'hey, lets stop for a second so we can grasp the impact from the massive amount of people that have arrived both legally and illegally over just the last 10 years', is considered racists and non-PC. Can't have that now can we?

I wonder if integration even occurs anymore? I would bet that instead of these immigrants assimilating, they expect their surroundings to integrate to them. That is the message they are receiving.

I wonder how long it will be before we can shed this destructive PC virtue BS?

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky

I propose a new definition for 'Populism'....."none of the above'.

edit on 15-10-2017 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
The fact that a person can whine that "white nationalism" is being called racism and that doesn't set off any alarm bells in your head is a bit concerning.

I had to do a double-take on chadderson's post. White nationalism is, literally, racism.

There are very, very bad connotations with nationalism and for two very good reasons: the world wars. Patriotism is not nationalism and nationalism is not patriotism.

top topics

join