It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A nuclear war.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Hopefully this will never happen.....(fingers of the button Korea!!!) but if there were to be a nuclear war with all the partys concerned launching their nukes.....the light given off by the explosions would be tremendous yes?....my question is....how far away from our planet would this be visible in space?........would the noise alone travel out into the galaxy?......

sorry...bit of a strange question but does anyone know?

regards.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 05:40 AM
link   
good question. depends. ask a geek or a scientist. hehe

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 05:46 AM
link   
There wouldn't be any noise as far as audible sound as sound doesn't carry through a vaccum, but we would certainly become a radio sensation if anything had it's eye on us though, though we would hardly be more than a brief surge on their scopes, probably followed by utter silence.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 05:52 AM
link   
My take on this is never gona happen, the reason is I believe too much in
scripture, and from what I have studied it says man will never have a hand in destroying the earth.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Just like twitchy said, no noise in a vaccum. I also do not think that the light given off would be enough for other planets in our universe to really take notice. Some stars shift thier light every day, but to you and me, they still look like little white dots. IMO, I think you would need to have an earth destroying explosion to see that far away. Kind of like the death of a star in a super nova.

[edit on 2/16/05 by Kidfinger]

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
"In space, no one can hear you scream."

Sorry, I had too.

As for the light given off, it is many times taht of the sun, only it would be a flash - not sustained.

Also, I am not sure how our O zone would manipulate the light and how it is seen from space.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Its been said enough times, No sound - Vacum

But the Sun itself is millions of nuclear explosions going off every second... So maybe you would get a tiny flash if you were looking at earth from somewhere in the solar system, or just outside it. Otherwise; No - our "Attention Seeking" destruction would be in vein.

Edit - Typo's

[edit on 16-2-2005 by The_Squid]

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I wouldn't say we'ed be extinct with all the nuclear bunkers and other protective brick-a-brack. Anyway what about the star wars program?
And, The-Squid, your "vein" is spelled "vain"

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 06:14 AM
link   
oops didnt mean to post.. sorry

But thanks anyway 'Atomix'

[edit on 20-2-2005 by The_Squid]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
How about Ancient nuclear wars?

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
I have episodes of 'planet earth' i taped from tv around 1986. Thier was an episode, about nuclear war. From space, if it involved russia USA, from the space shuttle, both continents would look the same, but with many many brigth lights going off, kinda like each target was mass consuming as much electricity as possible.
Being an amateur astronomer, thats just from viewing that in lets say, space station or shuttle. youde prob see some of the lights if on the moon, (lights being nuclear detonation targets) but beyond tht, earth would just resemble a blue sphere in the background of space....at least until all the soot and earth turned up form the choas globaly covered the world, turing it greyish blue and black, till it all settles back.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Nuclear explosions have taken place before. i would not look at North Korea tho. If a country that's a little trigger happy it's the US of A.

They were responsible for the first atomic bombs and explosions and even
made two Japanese cities ( Nagasaki and Hiroshima ) the very first public introducement.

Nuclear explosions were taking place ( as a test ) up until at least the nineties. I believe it was was France that had to poison our atmospere the last time. Probably wiped out any life present at the atol they tested at.

There is speculation of aliens which are here because of it but there is no way fo me to know it's true. Yet.

[edit on 11-4-2010 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I do know surface and atmospheric nuclear testing has been banned. Any country testing a nuclear weapon must conduct it underground*

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by optimus fett
Hopefully this will never happen.....(fingers of the button Korea!!!) but if there were to be a nuclear war with all the partys concerned launching their nukes.....the light given off by the explosions would be tremendous yes?....my question is....how far away from our planet would this be visible in space?........would the noise alone travel out into the galaxy?......

sorry...bit of a strange question but does anyone know?

regards.

If some aliens were looking our way from across the galaxy with technology similar to ours, they wouldn't detect anything, considering the sun is so many magnitudes brighter than some firecrackers in comparison. Only beings in our solar system could detect anything. I don't see nuclear war happening, but if it did, It wouldn't surprise me if E.T showed up.

[edit on 11-4-2010 by SmokeandShadow]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
The sun has such explosions happening all the time....basically is what it is....so I hardly think our attempt at such a light show would attract any attention...

However, for US, it would certainly matter...at least for a few milliseconds...

I'd like to think I'd be one of the survivors, but I wouldn't be, unless I moved...(and even then, may be better to go out quick if this happened)...

Rather than N. Korea or Iran, etc., I'd be more worried about WWIII starting with a bunch of suitcases, vs. a missile....

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Hi new here,
Now if there was going to be a shhitthfan event and u where in the know or even assigned the job of transfering all of your most precious DATA, would there be a "spike" larger than normal of Bandwidth use in certain areas?

Just curious

Thank-You

Oh and could it be tracked, ? any Solaris Spark guys around??

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
If the filmakers were as accurate as they were in the second, Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines has a sequence of nuclear weapons going off from orbit

www.youtube.com...

the sequence starts 6:40 into the video it lasts for about a minute

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Hi Ziggy,

Originally posted by ziggy1706
at least until all the soot and earth turned up form the choas globaly covered the world, turing it greyish blue and black, till it all settles back.

The nuclear winter scenario so often to alluded to has never been shown to be a realistic scenario given known behavior of firestorms in world war two cities, Volcanic eruptions ( massively different magnitudes to start with) or the more than TWO THOUSAND nuclear tests during the nuclear testing age. It was essentially symptomatic of a age where US policy makers decided that they were not willing to prepare the American society for fighting a nuclear war, and we can debate the why when it clear that the USSR did everything in it's power, and thus propagated the notion that such a war could not be fought because the whole biosphere would be destroyed.

So the 'turning black' is something we should all worry about but not something that was likely or ever supported by much in the way of evidence. Sadly what is keeping the nuclear powers at bay is not their mutual fear that they will destroy the planet but the fact that both sides still have sufficient weapons to make escalation to a nuclear war a extremely difficult step to consider taking.

As always disarmament and unpreparedness will not help and neither will ignorance of what is likely to happen when the next world war takes place.

Regards,

Stellar

new topics

top topics

join