It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bombing In Somalia Kills Hundreds; Death Toll Expected To Rise

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Not a whole lot of info yet, but this is a horrible tragedy for the people in Somalia. Despite the problems we face in the United States, we still have it pretty good compared to some other country's citizens.

SOURCE

The death toll from a truck bomb in Somalia's capital has risen above 200 with more than 275 injured. But Information Minister Abdirahman Yarisow told NPR that is a "conservative number." Officials described the deadly bombing as the worst-ever attack in the nation's history and caution the number of deaths and injuries would continue to rise. NPR's Eyder Peralta reports rescue workers are trying to get dogs onto the scene to sniff out bodies still trapped under mountains of flattened buildings. The massive explosion was set off Saturday on a busy street close to the foreign ministry in Mogadishu and detonated outside of the Safari Hotel. Several building were destroyed in the blast, reducing them to burning piles of rubble and twisted metal.

edit on 10152017 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

That's a big bomb from the photo. As usual, Innocents pay the biggest price.

Any claims yet?

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: seattlerat
Not a whole lot of info yet, but this is a horrible tragedy for the people in Somalia. Despite the problems we face in the United States, we still have it pretty good compared to some other country's citizens.

At the moment, having visited Paris this year for the first time in over a decade things can change very quickly my friend, esp when the native population is to polite to point out the obvious.

Back to the OP,

Somalian Jihadist are a major threat and as I have stated numerous times here whenever I have a security briefing that actually showed Daesh material they always had people with Somalian Heritage doing the presentation, be it how to cause the most injuries with everyday items or how to do recon for possible targets..

Somalia is a really messed up country, and it it is a shame because I think had the people there had half a chance they could very well have had a really good economical model to build. If all the internal fighting was not bad enough you then have these clowns fighting a holy war. Somalia has a high population of Christians also for what it is worth..

RA
edit on 15-10-2017 by slider1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: slider1982

originally posted by: seattlerat

At the moment, having visited Paris this year for the first time in over a decade things can change very quickly my friend, esp when the native population is to polite to point out the obvious.

Back to the OP,

Somalian Jihadist are a major threat and as I have stated numerous times here whenever I have a security briefing that actually showed Daesh material they always had people with Somalian Heritage doing the presentation, be it how to cause the most injuries with everyday items or how to do recon for possible targets..

Somalia is a really messed up country, and it it is a shame because I think had the people there had half a chance they could very well have had a really good economical model to build. If all the internal fighting was not bad enough you then have these clowns fighting a holy war. Somalia has a high population of Christians also for what it is worth..

RA

They should be on a travel ban or at least more strict vetting...........

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Somalia did have a chance in 2006, it was squashed with a hefty military aid package to Ethiopia which resulted in them invading Somalia. When that was not enough to stop the popular movement that stabilized Somalia which opened the airport, sea ports, significantly curbed piracy, began trash collection, issues licenses and streamlining commerce, they began an African Union mandate with limited US special forces advisors to assist.

That did it, and plunged the country back into chaos exactly how it is supposed to be! AMISOM ends its mission next year. These car bombs were never common until our Empire got involved again. Basically, Al-Shabab will take the blame, ISIS will get connected, and there will be appeals in congress to fill in the gaps AMISOM will leave next year with direct support.

Its funny, this exact model was demonstrated as taking place in the media in 2005 and 2006 to conditions the population for a return to action there. It worked then, and it appears like it may work again today, a decade later.

The 101st airborne deployed 40 or so troops there earlier this year. We constantly fly support missions for the Somali national army out of our base in Djibouti.

American soldiers have had a permanent presence in the shadows inside Somalia for over a decade now. The British have been tapping oil there since 2013, with some Russian money ironically.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Between Somalia and Afghanistan, which is the more dysfunctional land? I don't even want to call them countries anymore.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Read this on the news.

Huge explosions and most probably that Shaabab group or ISIS whatever you want to call them. Wouldn't of liked to have been in the imediate vicinity that's for sure.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Hmmmm, well that's 200 or more that won't be arriving as refugees somewhere.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

It's likely that the 200 that died are not the Somalians we should worry about but rather we should worry about the ones that rigged the bomb and unfortunately with 200 innocent Somalians dead, that only raises the odds that the ones that come are going to be the bad ones.
edit on pSun, 15 Oct 2017 13:55:54 -05002017 154Sun, 15 Oct 2017 13:55:54 -0500pmAmerica/ChicagoSunday by MALBOSIA because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Damn dude...harsh.

You know that there's a good chance that a many of the dead are Christians as well.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chickensalad

Damn dude...harsh.

You know that there's a good chance that a many of the dead are Christians as well.

Damn dude. Harsher

As opposed to innocent Muslims?

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Chickensalad

"Black Hawk Down" was pretty harsh! How soon we forget. The only solution to Somalia is to declare it a failed state and a protectorate of the UN; round up the badies and incarcerate them in detention camps. Otherwise, the slaughter goes on. Aid to African peace keepers is pure waste.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: MALBOSIA

I hear what you're saying. I suppose I made an assumption of the posters intentions based off of their history.

If I was wrong in my assumption, I'm sure said poster will correct me.

Either way, its a sad state of affairs, regardless of the victims religious beliefs.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Ugh, that's so convoluted I don't even know where to start. Bottom line is, the last thing the world needs now is ANY refugees. Somalia would, at this point, better off as a British or Italian colony.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chickensalad

I hear what you're saying. I suppose I made an assumption of the posters intentions based off of their history.

If I was wrong in my assumption, I'm sure said poster will correct me.

Either way, its a sad state of affairs, regardless of the victims religious beliefs.

Oh no. There is no mistaking tonys post was bad-ass. Just the ignorance towards the lives that were born there and caught up in that madness.

Your post was no different that mine if you substituted "Christians" for "innocent people" cause, you know...

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Ugh, that's so convoluted I don't even know where to start. Bottom line is, the last thing the world needs now is ANY refugees. Somalia would, at this point, better off as a British or Italian colony.

That wouldn't work. Not any more. It would have to be a media block out of a 1st world country were to try and go in there and take control. The things that would have to be done... people just wouldn't understand.

Let's just assume that's off the table. Now what?

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Those numbers are sick, coming from a bomb in a truck. I have never seen such a big havoc before not created by an airstrike or an artillery shell.
edit on 15-10-2017 by Shuye because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Here's some more information- all I can say is that this must be an horrific nightmare for many families: NY TIMES SOURCE

Erdogan Hospital, one of six hospitals that received wounded victims, said at least 127 people had been brought there for treatment. Senator Abshir Ahmed, the deputy speaker of the upper house of the Federal Parliament, wrote on his Facebook page that he had been told by Dr. Mohamed Yusuf, the director of Madina Hospital, that 218 bodies had been taken to that hospital. At least 130 had been burned beyond recognition, Mr. Ahmed wrote. On Sunday, Prime Minister Hassan Ali Khayre appointed a 16-member committee, including ministers, civil society leaders and religious leaders, to arrange national funerals for the victims and to provide assistance to the wounded, according to his office. The blast occurred two days after the head of the United States Africa Command was in Mogadishu to meet with Somalia’s president, and after the country’s defense minister and army chief resigned for undisclosed reasons. The American military has stepped up drone strikes this year against the Shabab, a group aligned with Al Qaeda that has recently stepped up attacks on army bases across the southern and central parts of the country.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I feel sorry for some of them but.. in general...they brought this on themselves. you reap what you sow right?

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   

The last thing the world needs is psychopaths that think like you, I would take the refugees in over someone with your mindset
edit on 15-10-2017 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join