It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to make money off the weak minded

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Back in the 90s and 00s the idea of a "wedge" issue became popular as a way of manipulating weak minded voters. A wedge issue is something like "abortion". Since abortion and women's right to choose is legal, abortion is Republican's best issue to get voters to participate in an election and vote Republican.

Then came shock jocks like Rush Limbaugh who would just make stuff up during his broadcast as if it were real. His audiences loved it because it made them angry and confirmed their superstitious bigotries and prejudices. Rush made a crap load of money with this shtick.

Then came along the Internet and Alex Jone types took it to another level. We now have all kinds of one line hooks designed to get you to be enraged and participate. Infowars is masterful in hooking people with wedge issue hooks and making crap loads of money. Consider a current so called "headline":

NYT & YOUTUBE COLLUSION SPAWNS FAKE NEWS ‘BASTARD CHILD’ MSM and Silicon Valley teaming up to push globalist lies

If you read this story there is no basis in fact other than guilty by association and expression of opinions. But man this fluffy type pablum sells! There's also a connection between cat videos and YouTube that is another "bastard child" equally as dangerous. But saying NYT is evil sells better than cat videos are evil!!

I think the bottom line is Infowars and every other news outlet will say absolutely anything to make money. I think all these hook lines and click baits are engineered to create wedges in order to get people to participate so money can be made.

Of course, since the Koch brothers have purchased all the state legislators with their cronies whoever counts the election results DECIDES the election results!

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Amen!

+12 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 07:14 AM
link   
You say "all" news outlets do it, yet the finger seems to be pointed firmly at Conservatives.
Please. Get this straight.
BOTH sides are playing the American people. Notice it doesn't matter who is in power, nothing actually gets done? Nothing gets resolved?
It's just a constant sh** show to keep us at each other's throats and Them in power.

And it's working perfectly.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Just set up a church and speak in tongues and you'll do just fine. And it is all legal, dude.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Again thinking in sides.... left right , left right blah blah blah... I'm black and I want to be Gatekeeper please

Don't we understand that propaganda in the end is pushed by... Google/YT.
edit on 10152017 by frenchfries because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
You say "all" news outlets do it, yet the finger seems to be pointed firmly at Conservatives.
BOTH sides are playing the American people. Notice it doesn't matter who is in power, nothing actually gets done? Nothing gets resolved?
It's just a constant sh** show to keep us at each other's throats and Them in power.

Exactly. How quickly people forget the Correct the Record trolls who tried to influence things with just as false and misleading sites and Articles, ect.

I would contend that the David Brock's of the world fired the first salvos of the Fake News Wars and disinformation campaigns this past election.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: frenchfries
Again thinking in sides.... left right , left right blah blah blah... I'm black and I want to be Gatekeeper please

That's the other big issue. With YT now basically censoring content with search's and monatezation, it's stepped into politics. Same for Google and Facebook.

People seem to think if they see it on their phone that it necessarily must be Gospel Truth. Look at how All three of them manipulate their search results now and "trending" news. It's a joke on you if you think they aren't trying to manipulate your thoughts.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Most republicans/conservatives haven't been moved for 30 years to vote by way of anti abortion. The fact that some believe some remain so motivated, be they liberal or the republicans themselves, are misinformed. Its really, while well covered by the press when seen, it has not been a truly measurable draw for many years.

But still talking about it like you do, simply serves to bind eyes to what is really moving folks to remove dem after dem from office everywhere over the last 3 election events. Even though the republicans are a big joke now to anyone thats been voting for them the last few years, its not because of these 1980ish issues.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   

you just did the thing..
do you see your wedge?

and btw alex jones talks # about whatever party was in charge or did you forget alex got his fame off of "The bushes are evil satanists" and 9/11 under bush??

i know the media has recently painted him as right wing, but do we forget so soon?

Anyway you are lost on the other side of some wedge.. I cant even see you..

Soros, koch brothers, who cares they are both screwing you.

Irony has gotten so mainstream its not even ironic anymore..

Im more to the left, but i need my right side brothers and sisters too. I need all of you to make a better us.
edit on 15-10-2017 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Make money by becoming an Alex Jones or Rush Limbaugh type and get weak minded people to give you money? Bah! Chump change. As a rule weak minded people don't have that much money. There may be a sucker born every minute, but chances are someone has already fleeced them by the time you get to them.

If you want to make real money with weak minded people, use them to suck money out of everyone else. Hire the MSM to host your own shills who will say things like forcing people to buy insurance will lower insurance rates. Sprinkle in a few lies like, "If you like your doctor or your current insurance, you can keep them." Pay off enough congressmen to pass laws that you want. It's a literal license to steal.

Before you know it, you'll have corporate jets and skyscrapers in most major cities. All paid for by money you take in from premiums and don't pay out to customers.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   

How to make money off the weak minded

oh great....

Now you tell me after I bought my $30 bottle of Caveman true Paleo Formula with bone broth from Alex Jones.

And I really wanted that feeling of "Paleo"

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: frenchfries

Every one has their thumbs on the scales ...some get paid to do it while some sheep follow their hearts ...Few think about it for themselves .

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

Yes, you are right. You could easily do exactly what I did with the left wing ones. It's just that I follow Inforwars more than any others. Not so much that I agree with Alex Jones points of views but more like for me it's like watching a car accident in progress. I just can't turn my eyes away.

But go ahead, show some left wing examples of hook baits motivating liberals to vote. Antifa is probably the best one that comes to mine.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
Just set up a church and speak in tongues and you'll do just fine. And it is all legal, dude.

I'd love to make money. But my convictions for science over superstition is just way too strong for me to go there.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I couldn't agree with you more.

It both saddens me and scares me in equal measure to believe that Americans are actually paying for their own propaganda.

Look at Rachael Maddow.

She suckered droves in with her "shocking news about Trump's tax returns".

She makes more in a day than 3-4 average American families make in a year.
edit on 15-10-2017 by 200Plus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Your understand of what is "right" and what is "left" is exactly accurate. These terms are heavily overloaded. But there are very clear distinctions. If you compare Trump to Hillary they are the same. But if you compare Sanders to Trump there is enough space and distinction between the two for left and right to have real meaning.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Logarock

Please enlighten us to what is really going on.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   

I was thinking more along the lines of CNN...

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   

I think the bottom line is Infowars and every other news outlet will say absolutely anything to make money.

Comparatively speaking, the money these tabloid style outlets make pales in comparison to the money the arms manufacturers make that thrive off the fear generated by these 'make news' mouthpieces.

That headline was hilarious , they have to dig deep these days. Who listens to that droll?

My dad. He worked on Nukes for Lockheed, has framed pictures of John Wayne and Ronald Reagan in his study and listens to Rush Limbaugh on radio.

He doesn't own a computer.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Reverbs

you just did the thing..
do you see your wedge?

Every time you make a thread about the poster and not the content of the message an angel loses its wings.

and btw alex jones talks # about whatever party was in charge or did you forget alex got his fame off of "The bushes are evil satanists" and 9/11 under bush??

i know the media has recently painted him as right wing, but do we forget so soon?

This post wasn't about Alex Jones being right or left. It was about how Alex Jones makes money. It was about the use of hooks and click bait to manipulate the weak minded. I was hoping responses would stick to the topic and not hijack the thread to other discusses like if Alex Jones is left or right.

Anyway you are lost on the other side of some wedge.. I cant even see you..

Another angel just lost its wings. People are not the words they speak. Sometimes people argue other points of view for enlightenment.

Soros, koch brothers, who cares they are both screwing you.

I believe in our Constitution. I believe in our representative democracy. I like our Republic. But when a cabal of billionaires takes over the process because they do not want to have any anti-Big-Oil legislation it bothers me. There's just way too much big money in politics. I can't stand what the Koch brothers have done to the state legislators. And although Democrats abused gerrymandering after the 2010 census what the Republicans did we might as well not even have a democracy. This bothers me very deeply. And on top of it wealth inequality is at insanely high levels. The cartels and monopolies legislated into existed by lobbyists means we have no free markets left. All this I believed is cause by people being manipulated by wedge issues and because people are so easily manipulated by hooks and click bait.

Irony has gotten so mainstream its not even ironic anymore..

Im more to the left, but i need my right side brothers and sisters too. I need all of you to make a better us.

I never said right was not needed. But when poverty is rising, and middle class wages are becoming poverty wages, and there's a never ending theme we have too much communism in this country it bothers me. This country is as far right as it can be and still have a government currency with any shred of value. We are about as far from communism as you can be. Walmart Heirs Hold More Wealth Than 42% of Americans Combined. How is extreme wealth inequality an American value? We must return to a time when hard work pays better than doing crimes!

edit on 15-10-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join