It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is fantasy real

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 05:17 AM
link   

I was wondering, Is fantasy a kind of reality for humans?
When you think about it nowadays more than the past it certainly is. Someone rich can fantasizes about being poor, someone poor fantasizes about being rich. In fact, I would go so far as to say we are constantly wanting to be like someone else. Like a certain actor, certain singer, certain sportswoman the list is endless. We all fantasise and emulate.

We seemed to be locked into getting better and better, sometimes it's about being nothing like so and so. We fantasize a model that is nothing like the model we choose to hate. Although fantasy can be fun if it dominates us were doomed to living in our own personal Disney world. It happens to many famous stars, they live in a world full of strange admirers. In a false construct in someway masterminded by themselves.Is the idea of wanting to trade places, just because we're tired of what we have created so far. How long will the new fantasy last?

So back to the original question, is fantasy a reality? Or is it just a kind of daydream play that we all buy in to.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 05:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: ancientthunder

I would go so far as to say we are constantly wanting to be like someone else. Like a certain actor, certain singer, certain sportswoman the list is endless. We all fantasise and emulate.

No, Fantasy is not Reality, Fantasy is an escape from Reality, whether it be Acting, LARP, Cosplay, RPG, Computer Games, Movies, TV Shows, BDSM or even just creating a fake online persona.

Also, don't speak too quickly for everyone else, I may be poor (like I have £5 to my name, no savings, investments, property or anything), I can't drive, can't sing [in front of people], play any instruments or any of that but I'm happy being me. I have no desire to be like anyone, I'd rather be an individual than a sheep and to me, that's what you are if you want to follow others...

E.T.A.... It's when people confuse Fantasy and Reality that things get messed up, it can cause someone to lose their grip on reality and people get hurt and lives are destroyed!
edit on 15/10/17 by djz3ro because: I added another bitty...

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro
perfect reply thanks for sharing your view.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 05:45 AM
link   
a reply to: ancientthunder

Reality is reality. Imaginary is imaginary. The difference between reality and imaginary is reality doesn't go away once you stop thinking about it. Is this a trick question and I'm missing something?

When I go to McDonalds and order a Big Mac, the pretty picture on the menu is fantasy. What get's delivered on my tray is reality.

edit on 15-10-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 05:55 AM
link   
(Reality is reality. Imaginary is imaginary. The difference between reality and imaginary is reality doesn't go away once you stop thinking about it. Is this a trick question and I'm missing something?]
a reply to: dfnj2015
No its not a trick question, although it has many layers that it can be seen from.

What Im trying to get at in a roundabout way, is that fantasy seems kind of real Not that it is real.

As we believe it to be so it is, perhaps to you personally the division is very clear. But to many others, the only thing that is real is fantasy itself. Reality gets discarded and the alternative is fantasy in its multitude of forms.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I wonder how this fits in with the law of attraction stuff?

generally I fantasise about say...oooh wish I hadn't done THAT. Rather than anything amazing.

Too much of that sort of stuff can depress you though so its better to shake it off by concentrating on now. How good the coffee tastes, how much you are enjoying that smoke or how awesome your girl feels, looks, smells etc.
edit on 25pSun, 15 Oct 2017 06:24:25 -050020172017-10-15T06:24:25-05:00kAmerica/Chicago31000000k by SprocketUK because: f

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 06:19 AM
link   

a reply to: djz3ro
perfect reply thanks for sharing your view.

Most welcome, thank you for providing an interesting discussion topic...

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 06:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
I wonder how this fits in with the law of attraction stuff?.

That's a very good point. We all know there are loads of things in Star Trek (not a massive fan but I respect the Trek) that weren't real when it was filmed but have been invented since. One has to wonder how many of those only exist because they were in Star Trek

originally posted by: SprocketUK
Too much of that sort of stuff can depress you though so its better to shake it off by concentrating on now. How good the coffee tastes, huw much you are enjoying that smoke or how awesome your girl feels, looks, smells ryc.

That exactly it for me, I have friends (and a lady) who worry far more about things than need be. I try to tell them this and that there's no point worrying about that which you can't control but they can't stop. Sad really

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK
(I wonder how this fits in with the law of attraction stuff?]
It fits like a hand in a glove, and reaps lots of benefits for the materialist. Because you will end up buying or trying to buy something you may not need.
On the other hand that very same movement, implies that is what all "Life" is about. Then playing the devils advocate, I would also say how would one change their life situacion without imagination, without using the ability to imagine something better?

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 06:49 AM
link   

What are you defining as real and what as fantasy? Is a car real or is it fantasy?
Just because something is a product of our imagination doesn't mean we can't make it a reality.

What exactly is reality anyway? Science tells us everything is energy yet it doesn't appear that way. You may see the colour yellow and call it yellow, but to me that same yellow may be more of a orange colour but I call it yellow because all my life I've been told it's yellow. Probably not the best example but do you see what I'm getting at?

My point is our perception of so called reality is different for all of us by some degree or other. Sure we can separate our fantasys from our facts, but can we trick ourselves into believing our fantasy as facts, sure we can and I think that's your point.
But can we turn our fantasies into realities? Again yes we can, at least to some degree and with enough effort.

"As we believe it to be so it is" agreed, so the question becomes what is reality? It can't be entirely a product of our perception/imagination yet these are our only tools for defining it.
Just some thoughts to add for now.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 06:56 AM
link   
All of these questions were rarely asked by the common people, we never had enough time. So to ask and question I would say is favourable. Once we do, we will finally be getting to know the nature of our existence. a reply to: surfer_soul

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Consider this :

About 200 years ago a little German boy started to fantasize about what would happen if one takes the root of a negative number. And now today in Mathematics there exists imaginary numbers and real numbers. physics makes use of both of them , together they form complex numbers that are used describe reality we know of today.

So to make a long story short fantasy and reality I think are intertwined sometimes.

edit on 10152017 by frenchfries because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   
A few centuries ago people could tell all about how they perceived reality. Most of it would appear untrue or fake to us. In a few centuries, someone might say the same about present day humans.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   
lets jump in the deep end and say it right now.a reply to: spliffster

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   
It depends on definition of reality. Is unicorn real? At least as cultural meme it is real. What about reality of mathematics? 4+4=8. It is pure abstraction - is it real? Fast forward: Is rounded square real? At least as mind candy IT IS REAL.

In other words everything conceivable is somehow "real" - it exists at least in our minds.
edit on 15-10-2017 by JanAmosComenius because: (no reason given)

How "real" is black hole - object by definition excluded from our space/time abilities?

And human reality? It is dentist chair if you are so lucky to have any in area and something to pay him.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   
It is .....if you take the position "I think, therefore you exist".

Moreover..
It is logically impossible and logically contradictory to require another person to prove that something does not exist. We can only prove that something exists; nobody can prove that something does not exist.

An analytically inclined mind will stipulate that unless something manifests itself objectively, it does not exist. It may still exist in somebody’s mind as a hallucination, or in another dimension, or in the deep sea. However, as far as human beings are concerned, if an object or event does not manifest itself in any form, manner or shape to human beings, it simply does not exist. If it does not manifest itself to human beings, it obviously has no effect on our life and we can safely disregard it.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Reality is the absence of fantasy. The real question here is whether humans can experience reality?

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   
now that was a deep one, at least we may try.
a reply to: Woodcarver

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   

now that was a deep one, at least we may try.
a reply to: Woodcarver

I get a good one in there every now and then

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Two sides of the same coin, they might as well be inseperable. If fantasy can become a reality, would it still be considered a dream or a reality? People often talk about fantasies of touching the stars, only to find out that in reality they are farther from grasping them then we first thought.

It was said a few days before the Wright Brothers, it would take a millions years or something for man to grow a PAIR. Star Trek a reality, where Star Wars is fantasy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join