It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Russia used social media to divide Americans

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

It is not about the Black Lives Matter movement, it is about how you cannot trust what you read online. This is not for your benefit, it is for the benefit of others. CNN has been hacked in the past.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001
a reply to: ReadingOne

You're welcome. I try to entertain as well as inform. Now, can you disprove what CNN is reporting?

Can you prove CNN/Google/etc arent lying?

This is too funny you've twisted this into a pure philosophical question on Faith. When clearly its you who has blind unyielding faith in those multinational propaganda corporations while everyone else has decades of data showing they arent to be trusted in the slightest.

Arent liberals supposed to be the atheist types, not beLIEving in such false deities??
edit on 15-10-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

It is not about the Black Lives Matter movement, it is about how you cannot trust what you read online. This is not for your benefit, it is for the benefit of others. CNN has been hacked in the past.

We cant believe much of anything online because CNN and Friends have hijacked the public perception/discourse/etc with lies and bogus tunnel vision perspectives for so many decades few int eh general population can hardly tell what is truly up or down in this world as a result.

"Hacking" is merely an added element of plot twists that at least makes it all interesting again.
edit on 15-10-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

George Orwell was a novelist... just saying...
They generally DONT deal in reality. Funny you should use that particular example.

Yp, and the party planners / social engineers of your Democrat Party more than any other in US history have taken 1984 (and Brave New World no less) as literal instruction manuals, right down to Nu Speak. And I'm sure by now you know exactly what I'm talking about, but 'cant' actually admit it of course.

Cheerio!

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   

You have a membership here and these boards are ripe with Russian influence. They obviously got to you.

Yep. It was that time I had two KGB agents as roomates, and DARPA zapped my computer dead with lightning twice in one month.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Because IT WAS RUSSIA!!

Prove it!

Real journalism would have reported the story as 'allegedly' Russia did this, and it may have Russia that did that.

NOT as RUSSIA DID TEH POKEMON.

That's not journalism.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I don't blame the Russians for all the disinformation out there. I blame the Internet as a whole and the ADHD of people that for whatever reason get attracted to some of the millions of ideas percolating on the Internet.

I can't get the "Mermaid" documentary 2 or 3 years ago out of my head in which even after the producers came out and said it was all a fake still had people out there that believed it to be true.

People will believe whatever they want to believe and the Internet provides a plethora of ideas, good and bad, to latch on to.

Blame the Russians all you want. They are just part of the problem. It should be common knowledge that major governmen'ts try and influence each other by whatever means, especially if they are perceived as a threat. Even corporations and private individuals can get into the game of swaying opinions.

This is nothing new. The Internet just amplifies propaganda to the nth degree.
edit on 15-10-2017 by Terminal1 because: Clarity

edit on 15-10-2017 by Terminal1 because: Typo

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Not since the time of McCarthy has there been such baseless fear.

This level of demonisation is literally matched only by Joseph Goebbels and his rants against the Soviet Union. He at least knew he was a liar.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Terminal1

Exactly! This is one reason why I prefer print media over the web. It so happens that Russian propaganda is under discussion, but they are not the only bad actors.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Just to re-iterate, the OP is about russian affiliated bots and shell accounts
being used to stoke disagreement and disaccord on 'social media'

It's not about BLM ... nor the MSN
It's about this:

Activity from 600 monitored Twitter accounts linked to Russian influence operations

Disclaimer from above link:

The charts and graphs here display hashtags, topics and URLs promoted by Russia-linked influence networks on Twitter.
Content is not necessarily produced or created by Russian government operatives, although that is sometimes the case.

Instead, the network often opportunistically amplifies content created by third parties not directly linked to Russia.
Common themes for amplification include content attacking the U.S. and Europe, conspiracy theories and disinformation.

Russian influence operations also frequently promote extremism and divisive politics in Western countries.
Just because the Russia-aligned network monitored here tweets something, that doesn’t mean everyone who tweets the same content is aligned with Russia.

edit on 15/10/17 by Damiel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
Not since the time of McCarthy has there been such baseless fear.

This level of demonisation is literally matched only by Joseph Goebbels and his rants against the Soviet Union. He at least knew he was a liar.

DING DING DING!!! Calling out Russia makes you a Nazi! Collect two hundred rubles and advance to the next round.
edit on 15-10-2017 by DJW001 because: Edit too correct autocorrect. --DJW001

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Its not just Russia.

And its incredibly easy to do.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Once again you demonstrate that you do not understand how journalism works. CNN trod the digital pavement, they have the privilege of asserting the claim. They are the ones making the allegation. They lay out the path they took. You can retrace it in an attempt to disprove their conclusions if you want, but you cannot reject the allegations without doing some work of your own.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Because conservatives don't use nuspeak, only SJWs, BLMs, libtards....

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Yes, anyone can prove when someone is lying. Whether you chose to believe the lie or not is another question!

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Other nations are simply capitalizing on the fundamental divisiveness that already exists in America.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Putin said I shouldn't like you.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Damiel
a reply to: interupt42

The whole point of article has nothing to do with the MSN, GOP or the DNC
It's about the prevalence of alternative, unverified sources
and how people are being easily targeted and swayed

Pizzagate being just one example......

So your OP is fake News?

Dividing to conquer in action !

If Trump really wanted to unite the country
He should be advised to cancel his Twitter account
His tweetering spurs the division ever onwards and downwards

My reply to your OP was to your comments. If trump wants to really unite the country then he needs to expose the DNC and MSM BS, which is dividing the country not social media. However, he also needs to expose the GOP BS of war mongering if he wants to unite the world.

The DNC and the MSM have primarily done more Divided and Conquering than the Russians or social media could ever have. Politics is the real issue and primarily from the left not Social Media.

The DNC and the MSM primarily focus on minorities always being the victim and the white guy as the evil villain. This is not a valid representation of the truth. There is Racism on both sides and one shouldn't take the lazy way out and automatically assume the cause to all issues involving different races to be based on racism. Yet, that is what the MSM and DNC does.

The strategy the DNC and the MSM have taken with 'ism' is what is causing this country to be Divided, because it places a large population of people into the victim classification and the other part of the population into villain classification. There is no middle ground .

This causes hate,intolerance, and anger between the races to flourish since they are constantly reminded they are always the victims or always the villians. Most normal people don't want to be labeled as either.

Both parties use the same victim and villain classification with just about every issue they politicize . That is why their is so much intolerance, hate, and anger between the extremist left and right.

Politics is what is dividing the country not Social Media comments based of politics.

edit on 241031America/ChicagoSun, 15 Oct 2017 09:24:59 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: DBCowboy

Putin said I shouldn't like you.

I thought I was Putin.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
I thought I was Putin.

That would make me Putin too.

top topics