It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Any Hip-Hop Collective Top the Legendary Dungeon Family?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov
Hi out there and happy Friday!
I hope you are enjoying yourself and able to relax and check out (or, more likely, revisit) some amazing music.
I took my title from the following article:
www.thesubversal.com...
which asks a thought provoking question (for the hip hop heads) can any hip-hop collective top the legendary Dungeon Family?
In my opinion, the answer is no. (Wu is a really, really close second) I enjoy all types of music, but can say that I remember with absolute certainty the first time I ever heard ATLiens (friend's car- tape deck, lol but great system) and beginning to end I was taken to another world.
If you've heard it, you may understand what I mean.

If you don't have time for a whole album take a moment or two to enjoy these masterpieces off of Outkast's third album, Aquemeni. Unbelievable, but maybe even better than ATLiens, which may be even better than Outkast's peerless debut, Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik. Here are a couple of samples from the album (which should really just be played start to end):

The whole album here:

Here are the producers who, along with Andre 3000 and Big Boi, put together one of the most interesting, harmonious, and creative (my personal favorite) sounds in rap.
Organized Noize:

organizednoize.net...
Mr. DJ:

en.wikipedia.org...
Outkast:

What's your take?

Considering that Outkast is probably the GOAT hip hop duo, I'd agree with your assessment. I'm a little biased given I'm originally from East Point and a classmate of Rico Wade.

The significance of the Dungeon Family and Organized Noise is that they brought real hip hop to and from the south. Prior to them, the south was primarily influenced by Miami Bass. You really didn't have the gritty pure lyricists. Outkast showed that wasn't the case.

Goodie Mob's Soul Food album is also a slept on classic.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I completely agree! The South had something to say and who better to say it?

Also love the song Soul Food! And there's this:

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 10:09 PM
link   

I completely agree! The South had something to say and who better to say it?

Also love the song Soul Food! And there's this:

Goodie Mob's Thought Process will give you goose bumps... the music, the flow. Just close your eyes and listen to the lyrics. Heartfelt. Ceelo's verse is one of my favorites. They had to put 3000 last because he just bodied everybody though. I think this is my fav 3000 verse and probably one of my Top 5 verses imho.

They simply don't make hip hop like this anymore.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Goodie Mob's Goodie Bag. Ceelo absolutely went f'cking nuts. He had a Cappadonna Winter Warz moment... you can tell he is just spitting off the top.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

Sorry man, Wu Tang is forever.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Great song. I hadn't heard it before... thanks! Ceelo's verse reminded me of a quote I just heard the other day of Method Man's-- he said the first time he heard M.E.T.H.O.D. Man on the radio he was sitting there eating rice with ketchup on it, he said he thinks it was even Thanksgiving and he was just wondering if rap would ever pay.

Andre's verse was flawless.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Just bc it hasnt been mentioned, and bc everyone knew had a copy of Ghetto D, and their impact cannot denied, ( who can forget those gaudy album covers that were the Forerunner to the bling bling era?)

That's right, i want everyone to let out a big UUUUUUUUUUUGHHHH!!! for Master P and No Limit Records 😂👍

I used to listen to songs like this late at night on a school night, smoking out of a pop can under my blankets with my headphones on, then id play games on snes or playstation.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: AgarthaSeed

Hey, I can't disagree!

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Id take "Army of the Pharaohs" over anything mentioned on the thread so far... though I like them all.

I prefer that filthy underground feel...

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Tucket

Reef is among my favorite rappers.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

I really like that song you posted. Had to edit cause I posted a song I used to love Master P Get Your Mind Right... that one doesn't stand the test of time imo lol. But really liked the one you posted.

edit on 13-10-2017 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-10-2017 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 10:46 PM
link   

a reply to: 3n19m470

I really like that song you posted. Had to edit cause I posted a song I used to love Master P Get Your Mind Right... that one doesn't stand the test of time imo lol. But really liked the one you posted.

Cell Therapy is another classic for those who want to be "woke". Especially for ATS! The touch on all the conspiracy topics in that song. New world order. Microchipping.

Ceelo has one of the best bars in hip hop...

"But every now and then, I wonder if the gate was put up to crime out or keep our ass in!"

edit on 13-10-2017 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 11:19 PM
link   

It is a perfect ATS song!
Great line you pulled out there.

edit on 14-10-2017 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 01:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470
Just bc it hasnt been mentioned, and bc everyone knew had a copy of Ghetto D, and their impact cannot denied, ( who can forget those gaudy album covers that were the Forerunner to the bling bling era?)

That's right, i want everyone to let out a big UUUUUUUUUUUGHHHH!!! for Master P and No Limit Records 😂👍

I used to listen to songs like this late at night on a school night, smoking out of a pop can under my blankets with my headphones on, then id play games on snes or playstation.

I thought about including them in my honorable mention.....

If we are going to include them in the discussion, then we have to include The Juveniles with L'il Wayne, Juvenile, BG and The Turk. Pretty much Cash Money Records.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Atmosphere should be on the list. Rhymesayers with Slug, Ant, Brother Ali, Dilated Peoples and many more are on the top of my list. Immortal Technique and Living Legends are way up there on my list as well.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Wu all the way for me.

They've collectively created and/or produced dozens of records and hit a high rate for quality. If anyone wanted to produce a chart of all their links, it'd show a huge network of influence.

Definitely not knocking the Dungeon Family either as they've also produced some classics. Saying that, they've been a lot 'cleaner' than the Klan which is something I've come to appreciate in my old age. Hit the late 30s and gradually began preferring cleaner lyrical topics and more melody which is in favour of the Dungeon Family.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

Definitely not knocking the Dungeon Family either as they've also produced some classics. Saying that, they've been a lot 'cleaner' than the Klan which is something I've come to appreciate in my old age. Hit the late 30s and gradually began preferring cleaner lyrical topics and more melody which is in favour of the Dungeon Family.

It's the lyrics and the melody that does it for me (though I do love the Wu sound and Gza's lyrics especially).

Good points about Wu influence, impact- it's massive!

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: cancerslug

I enjoy rhymesayers quite a bit, along with hieroglyphics.

My own favorites, borderline "collectives," are oldominion and just a duo, but I loved "Blazing Arrow" by Blackalicious.

There was also a local group, Proximity Minds, that hit some chords of mine that no one else could. At least I think that was their name.. lost their stuff years ago, sadly.

Groups like outkast, wu tang, etc. never did much for me though *shrug* I know its blasphemy.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

a reply to: cancerslug

I'm a huge fan of Atmosphere (Ant is such a dope producer and Slug's lyrics are intelligent and deep) and Blackalicious... just none of their music (and no other music ever, really) hit me the way ATLiens hit me the first time I heard it. Knocked me right out lol and here I am 20 years later and still reeling.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

That's the neat thing about individuality right there

I think with "Blazing Arrow," specifically, it was STRONGLY tied in with good times with friends. Sometimes, its impossible to separate the music from the experience. Proximity Minds is much the same, bought their debut directly from them downtown for $1. Ha! No idea if they are even still around.

Oldominion is still probably may favorite though. I could go into the reasons, but meh.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join