It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian man and family held captive for years in Afghanistan will return to Canada

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   
OK, so this might not be the right forum for this topic...but am I the only one seeing something weird here? In short strokes, a young Canadian/American couple backpack into Afghanistan, are seized by a Taliban-connected group and are held hostage for 5 years. She is pregnant at the time of capture and three children are born in the interim, and from time to time, the couple are permitted/coerced into sending video back to the civilised world showing their plight and presenting terms for their release. While not a hot button issue, it does have a certain traction in the media. They are apparently moved to Pakistan.

Fast-forward to the last couple of days and it appears that a Pakistani raid prompted by US intelligence frees them, killing 5 of the kidnappers in the process. Great news...front page of the Toronto Star...they can come home now. CBC

Why in the conspiracy forum?
- The husband had been married to Omar Khadr's sister for a short time. I hate coincidence.(This is not about Khadr, so let's leave that be)
- WTF are they doing traipsing into A-stan like The Rover Boys Abroad in the first place?
- He refuses US transport home, preferring to deal strictly with Canada.
- The Star's coverage notwithstanding...the media seems strangely muted.

Does it seem like we are only getting a small part of the picture here? Thoughts?
The case of Robert Levinson ...with connections to ATS members...comes to mind.
edit on 13-10-2017 by JohnnyCanuck because: more truthiness!

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I heard this story on the news this morning. My first though is something about it stinks. I don't know why, but I don't believe a word of it.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

I suspect they were not really captured. I think i learned enough about afganistan being there 4 yrs total
edit on 10/13/17 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 09:30 AM
link   

The husband had been married to Omar Khadr's sister for a short time

That part bothered me as well,I will leave it there.

I do understand why he wants to deal with the Canadian authorities rather than the US.
They had a part in the detention of Omar Khadr...seeing he was married to his sister,it makes sense.

I find it weird that it was the Americans who got them free...I would think his American wife would be a bit worried about ending up in Guantanamo ??

So much wrong with this,I could go on and on.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun
So much wrong with this, I could go on and on.

Could be the reason for the tip-toeing in the media.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Its a good dot to keep in mind especially time wise .There is a kind of geopolitical shifting of the chairs going on right now .ie Qatar siding with Iran . Saudi Arabia's King going to Moscow and then Russia announcing it is willing to host and help mediate a reset between Iran and SA . You have the UAE cutting diplomatic ties with North Korea . Turkey making moves that might be the start of getting out of NATO . Pakistan and India talking through China/Russia and part of the economic belt / new silk road project . OP may only end up being a seed of contention to be played out at a later date in the MSM news cycle . And then you got the Awan brothers story where Imram Awan was in Pakistan for months at a time and doing his IT security work from that country .

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Maybe I've misread but it implies in your post that during their time as hostages they had 3 children.. is this correct?
Who the f##k has children whilst being held hostage!?

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I read this in the news this morning, and my reaction was the same as every other mother that read it too.... What kind of people have children while in a hostage situation? I understand she was pregnant when captured. Fair enough. But two more while in captivity? Looks like hostage wise they had the good life compared to most. I won't touch the Khadr thing because the mind widely speculates what the heck is going on there.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Misterlondon

That was a wtf sentence, wasn't it?

There's a lot to be wondered at in that situation.

Start with the fact that they went backpacking in Afghanistan, during a time when the situation is/was not entirely stable? Really?

Throw in Khadr? Oh, there's a whole host of questions.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Misterlondon
Maybe I've misread but it implies in your post that during their time as hostages they had 3 children.. is this correct?

People who are lying about being held hostage.

That's my guess.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Jefferton

Or the definition of hostage has changed--a lot.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

I wondered why no one has mentioned how the Great Game is changing before our eyes.

The world is preparing for a superpower, that is no longer America.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Misterlondon

Yep, they had three kids while being held "hostage."

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: cenpuppie

Well none of the western MSM are paying attention or if they are they are not wanting to talk about it . Todays Crosstalk is one that would have most if not all scratching their heads if they slowed down enough to think about it .

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton

originally posted by: Misterlondon

People who are lying about being held hostage.
That's my guess.

Or just a young couple imprisoned together for five years. I think I can give them a pass on that.

top topics

join