It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drunk Birds Crash Into Building's Glass

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Thu Feb 10, 9:35 PM ET Strange News - AP

COLUMBIA, S.C. - Dozens of birds, drunk from eating holly berries, crashed into the glass of an office building and died earlier this week.

"It was like an Alfred Hitchcock movie," worker Denise Wilkinson said. "It was spooky. You could hear them where they flew into the glass."

Warm weather and an ample supply of berries attracted hundreds of cedar waxwings into the enclosed courtyard of the three-story building Tuesday,

The birds began getting drunk on the berries. They got so loopy that some were falling off branches and others were slamming into the glass walls that enclose the courtyard, said Burgess Mills, the building's owner.

About half of the 100 birds that slammed into the building died, workers said.

Groundskeepers have tried to help the birds by putting tape on windows or nets over the holly trees to keep them from eating the berries, Mills said.

This is totally bizarre. I never knew birds, or anyone else, for that matter, got drunk from eating holly berries. My grandmother had a holly tree in her yard for about thirty years, I guess, and I never saw a drunk bird.

[edit on 05/2/11 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Yes, I am politically incorrect & laughing my arse off at the visual!

As a kid, we watched Mutual of Omahas "Wild Kingdom" and any other animal show on TV.
They showed some watering hole in Africa, where these certain fruit trees , because of climate irregularites, bore fruit, it fell & fermented, and all the animals ate it.
They showed drunk elephant falling down, drunk giraffes, monkeys falling out of trees.....great stuff!

new topics

join