It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress warned North Korean EMP attack would kill '90% of all Americans'

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 06:28 AM
link   
I once lived in a area 30 years ago that used to get regular power blackouts of power for days in the winter ,so while renovating my old property i ran extra cables to run a 12 volt supply for lights and had a coal and propane supply for heating and cooking and a b&w television and a stream for water if needed next to the property in a total shtf scenario .

But not everyone plans like you ,older people brought up in that area who were looked up to by some were banging on my door DEMANDING to know how my property looked normal with television lights etc .

And they looked like wild eyed zombies from a movie ,unwashed and unshaven , and that was after 5 days of no power that
events told me enough about people ,who were 3-4 decades older than me and should have known better .

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 06:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

marbled meat.
i love it

i think we would see a lot of people eating people

As tempting as it may be...
I would believe the Americans would resist human cannibalism for at least two days..

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

That our "civilization" wouldn't eat itself wouldnt surprise me. We're still as primitive as before Atlantis after all, yet the most spoiled etc etc etc people that ever walked.

That NK has the means or the insanity to attempt now that's another story entirely. One that the US cant quit poking them, trolling them towards the past decade plus. The hypocrisy is strong with this one.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage
One Second After was a book I really enjoyed. I got on a kick and read several books in the same vein a few years ago.

My main concern in regards to an EMP, is my pacemaker. Maybe I should start wearing a tin foil shirt.
or maybe chainmail.

edit on 13-10-2017 by abago71 because: added second line

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 07:02 AM
link   
There are much more efficient ways of producing EMPs. A single aircraft can carry an EWCS Pod that can blackout half of Russia. Plus we have many countermeasures that nullify the effects. Again people talking about sh*t they have no direct experience with.
a reply to: seasonal

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I am guessing my area would not do too bad without electricity at first...it would be after the nuclear plants without having electricity to keep things cooled down there...that's when things will get a lot more difficult for my area. Ugh!

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to: seagull

Are you kidding, just take their Facebook away and they'd already be on the brink. Take their phones, and all internet and hypnotube away forever and the electrical cords would begin being mounted in various ways to ceilings and rafters. Take it all away, no heat in the north, no ice in the south. Not just for a minute of uncertainty but certainty that its OVER, the majority of people in this "civilization" aint ever gonna last. Especially not when the social factors, hunger, dehydration, kick in. Everyone will be pissed they didnt just nuke everyone.

Down in South America they'd be fine. But not here. We're too spoiled, and entitled, divided, willfully ignorant, unprepared and so on as a society.

That's why I only said rural Americans. I think the cities would be mayhem.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Why do I envision most our congress cackling and rubbing their hands together while saying that?

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Never heard of a EWCS pod. That sounds like some pretty powerful equipment/weapons. I can't get any info about the pods, it also stands for cold weather gear.
It is an interesting subject, and something about the human experience pushes us to the doom and gloomy stuff.

There are much more efficient ways of producing EMPs. A single aircraft can carry an EWCS Pod that can blackout half of Russia. Plus we have many countermeasures that nullify the effects. Again people talking about sh*t they have no direct experience with.
a reply to: SecretsoftheBlueApples

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 07:56 AM
link   

I don't think there is a real "EMP bomb" that would just knock out electronics. If there is, that would be much better that a nuke. I know some old EOD guys and was talking to them about the possibility of "EMP bombs" sever years ago. They told me it would still be a nuke.

So if one of these NK EMP nuke bombs hits anything it will still have the explosive yield of whatever size nuke it was and still cause an EMP. Like all nukes do.

So yes, it will kill anyone in the local blast radius, radiate everything in a whatever mileage from the epicenter, and kick out an EMP. Now they might have figured out away to amplify or intensify the EMP that come form the detonation. I think I saw an article once were the U.S. was developing something like that.

~Morpheus

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Many here are arguing that an EMP would not "wipe out" 90% of the population within a year as it is not seen as a weapon effect with direct damage. Those arguing that must take secondary and even tertiary effects into account.

An EMP effectively makes the environment a weapon. An EMP effectively makes the population a weapon.

Look at the communication and transportation issues involved with the 2003 NE Blackout. With an understanding of what happens in such an event compound it across the continent (and extend the effects for up to two years).

It's not difficult at all to see the urban sprawls become killing zones. Once those areas are depleted an exodus into the suburbs would begin, eventually making it's way into the rural areas of the country.

It would take a year, but a majority of the deaths would most likely occur in the first six months.

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Phage is tossing the salads.

Priceless

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Does anyone know what the radiation from a high altitude blast would be in effect to life risk?

I can`t imagine it would be as bad as a ground based weapon, as its the contaminated dust etc that is spread.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: MorpheusUSA

I think this emp would be hundreds of miles above the earth, so the blast would be literally in space. As some posts have said the placement is as important as the emp itself.
I saw a documentary about the largest bomb detonated on (I think) the bikini atoll, and some how a mistake was made/mis-calculation with how much lithium (a huge ass tank full) the bomb would need and it was a much much larger explosion that knocked out power in Hawaii over 1000 miles away. If I remember the documentary right.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

If an EMP were capable of taking out our power grid for say 3-6 months I'm guessing we would have a real problem keeping all our power plants from melting down.
61 plants and if even a few melt down it could get close to 50-60%.
Especially considering towns and cities couldn't be quickly warned of the radiation danger.

I don't believe that NK has the ability to EMP the US, nor do I believe that our electric infrastructure is as weak against EMP as people seem to think.
I am way more worried that NK (and others) could make a nuke so small that it could be smuggled into a US city.
OR that the parts for a nuke could be smuggled into the states separately and assembled.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Absolute nonsense.

Of all the populations in the developed world, America would probably be the best able to affect some sort of corrective, adaptive measures to keep things moving. There are hunters of the professional and the hobbyist variety, in virtually every state in the nation, more than enough ammunition to hunt with, more than enough space to hunt IN, and farmland going on for mile after bloody mile. You have people working three jobs for no money at the moment, but things being put back a century or two with regard to technology, would mean that more genuine labour would be required in order to get food where it was needed, transport water to towns and cities, get machines running on non-electrical means, rather than by current methods.

There would be a huge increase in demand for donkey work, essentially, and that would mean that once again, the efforts of the real people of a nation, the hardy, unrewarded backbone of the country, would be firmly thrust into the position of having responsibility for the ability of people in their communities, to eat, drink, and remain alive. It would make the worker stronger, since the implications of their withdrawal of labour, would be all the more massive, given the fragility of any system arising from such a scenario.

It would not kill 90% of the nation in a year, unless the population were, quite frankly, stupid, lazy, soft, weak and incompetent. America has been a lot of things over the years, but its main problem is that it is not soft or weak, but has been lazy and stupid. Nothing puts a fire under an arse, like the threat of starvation, and nothing sharpens the mind like REAL problems, rather than the false narratives deployed by the ACTUAL idiots, like the current President, for example.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

edit on 13-10-2017 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   
A few things, NK has launched the last few rockets to altitudes far exceeding our space station orbit, Do they currently have anything in Geo-Synchronus orbit>? or just LEO? Either of those could already contain a device.

Are people just assuming that they would EMP one bomb if they have 60?

Knowing the response would be devastating, would they not go all out.

Is there any chance that China has given them the Neutron Bomb (thanks Bill Clinton)?

Its well known that the general shooting match world ending MAD launch would first consist of EMP to blind the our response and that we wouldnt be able to track or see the hundreds of incoming missiles in the time frame just after that pulse. We would have to pull the trigger based on the unknown. Which means do you wait and lose your response to incoming that you cant see, or defend? The other option is of course Full Scale response. And that option is based on whether our TACAMO aircraft are shielded well enough and far enough from the EMP that you dont have E-6's falling from the sky losing contact to Sub forces and that the land connections to silos are not affected. Who knows if the bomber force would still have enough guidance and refueling capabilities to get their part of the triad airborne.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   

The EMP wouldn't kill everyone, nope not even starvation

Don't be so sure.

The majority of American keep food on hand for a very short period.

And clean drinking water.

The rule of 3s.

3 days without water.

3 weeks without food.

At best most people have food and drink on hand for a couple of days.

From there there is no money to buy anything.

The banks are closed because computers have been fried.

Goods are no longer being trucked because sensitive electronics have been fried.

People are no longer working because everything has been fried.

Depending on the time of year.

Heat waves or freezing temperatures.

Millions that depending on medical equipment treatments are dead.

90% of deaths isn't outlandish by any means.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   
and people can forget about solar power.

It's fried too.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
In a case like this the rural dwellers would have an obvious advantage of actually knowing how to survive and small communities work together.

As I understand it getting generators up and running afterwards is not a very big deal and again small rural communities have the advantage when many have generators as a backup to other sources.

The problems would be in the giant sardine cans where gangs run almost unopposed and many people could care less about the person next door. Lived in them and could not escape them fast enough. Giant heartless masses of uncaring folks that they house. People would be helpless, while rural dwellers would get to work surviving and checking on their neighbors.

Culture would be the most important thing for survival and urban culture is not geared towards neighbor helping neighbor and there would be no way for the meat and produce to get to peoples mouths. The farmers and ranchers would keep on keeping on but no way to get their product to the masses in the cities. Criminals would be well armed while good people would be mostly unarmed and police numbers would be too small to deal with it.

I'd be fine, most people up here would be just fine. We have lots of resources and know how to use them.

If it happens, wise people need to get as far away from large population centers as possible, as quickly as possible. While others are hand wringing a person who is wise needs to get the hell out and take care of their families.

Ummm...in a scenario such as that you would also have significant numbers of urbanites spreading out into the hinterlands...looking for food...weapons...everything you and I have...

Significant numbers of them would perish from good people protecting themselves and family...from otherwise good people just looking to survive...

I'm a survivor...I live out in the hinterlands...I've prepared...I have the requisite tools and knowledge...
Still...should I have to be that arbiter...it sure doesn't make me look forward to such an scenario...

...Here's to hoping that day never rolls around...

YouSir

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join