It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress warned North Korean EMP attack would kill '90% of all Americans'

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: gort51

Didn't President Trump say yesterday that some of our arsenal is not receiving proper maintenance?

This translates into out with the old and in with the new...time to deplete the inventory so we can restock with upgrades...why waste good munitions right?

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Yeah. I'd expect the biggest gangs (cops mostly) to become the evil warlords. They kill all the prison inmates and then they have their own fortress HQ complexes to base their operations from.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   
TWO of Kim Jong's top Rocket Engineers were not seen at holiday celebrations this week, like they usually are. Either they're preparing for a big launch, or have died mysteriously.
www.foxnews.com...

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I think many have misconceptions about Nuclear Weapons produced EMP.

Those misconceptions could be easily disastrous.

A Primer so rational discussion can be had,

The part explaining E1,E2 and E3 pulses is quite good IMO.

Nuclear EMP

A thin-cased 100 kiloton weapon optimized for gamma ray production (or even the relatively-primitive super oralloy bomb of more than 61 years ago) detonated 250 to 300 miles above Nebraska, might destroy just about every piece of unprotected electronic equipment in the continental United States, southern Canada and northern Mexico (except for small items not connected to any external wiring). Such a weapon would also very likely knock out 70 to 100 percent of the electrical grid in this very large area. Nearly all unprotected electronic communications systems would be knocked out. In the best of circumstances, as completely unprepared for such an event as we are now, reconstruction would take at least three years if the weapon were large enough to destroy large power grid transformers.

Making enhanced gamma is nothing special that ANY country capable of making atomic or hydrogen weapons can do easily.

According to my cite it's the altitude that's the more important detail.

With resulting loss of sanitation, clean water, medical facilities, food production, food processing, food distribution. Loss of JIT delivery everything. Resulting civil chaos, breakdown of economic activity etc.

I can easily see the 90% number in one-two year timeframe.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: one4all

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: gort51

Didn't President Trump say yesterday that some of our arsenal is not receiving proper maintenance?

This translates into out with the old and in with the new...time to deplete the inventory so we can restock with upgrades...why waste good munitions right?

Just deactivate, dismantle and shred them into scrap metal.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:05 PM
link   
"Headless Chicken Syndrome"...

If they were able to clean out nearly all the food in a Walmart in a mere 3 hours through the checkout, well guess how long it'd take them to completely empty the entire stores under anarchy:

Oh here goes Hurricane Irma induced looting in Mexico:

edit on 12-10-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Yeah. I'd expect the biggest gangs (cops mostly) to become the evil warlords. They kill all the prison inmates and then they have their own fortress HQ complexes to base their operations from.

One of my work buddies brother is a local deputy who talked about their plan. They plan to set up in a school, seizing local supplies and fortressing up.

From what he said, many schools have a crap ton of food on premise.

In the first few days they believe people will still hesitate to resist when they come to seize food, propane, and weapons.
edit on 12-10-2017 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
To be fair, I must confess that I grew up without electricity and without running water. I leave in the country and our biggest problem would not be no help coming in, but keeping the bad folk out.

Our community is pretty self sufficient and we are made up of folks that are used to living of the land. As long as the well water and the pond water are not contaminated, we would get long fine, with a lot of elbow grease, animal husbandry, and trapping.

I understand that the cities may have it a bit rougher but they will figure it out. As far as lack of medications, that may be a good thing for some people and a bad thing for others. I have seen elderly people show great improvement when they were taken off the 20 plus drugs that their doctors were pushing on them.

Being an old fart I consider myself expendable. I grew up old school. That is were the children eat first. There was a method to that old way, because it reduced waste. Children usually leave too much food uneaten, and if the adults ate first they would be too full to eat what the children had left behind.

If stores got too low, the children would be the priority. Teaching them to function independently is of the highest importance. When I become a burden, and become of little or no use to the community, I would take the long walk.

There are few things that I fear. Living without electricity is not one of them.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Myomistress
North Korea Has one satellite (or was it two?)
It was two

That weapon could already be in play for all we know.

North Korea’s KMS-3 and KMS-4 satellites were launched to the south on polar trajectories and passed over the United States on their first orbit. The south polar trajectory evades U.S. ballistic missile early-warning radars and national missile defenses, making the satellites resemble a Russian secret weapon developed during the Cold War called the Fractional Orbital Bombardment System (FOBS) that would have used a nuclear-armed satellite to make a surprise EMP attack.

www.washingtontimes.com...

edit on 12-10-2017 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I'm off grid and utilized grounded all metal construction for homestead, use grounded shipping containers for storage and have older vehicles.

Is perfect? no - but it's helluva lot better than 99.9% have.

My real problem in the event is dealing with the golden horde as the exodus from far away cities occur.

Those surviving that journey will be some tough mean hombres.

From the commission studies it was a paltry 10-20 billion to protect the power grid from nuclear EMP, chump change in Washington IMHO.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Just imagine what would happen tomorrow if every EBT card in the nation were cut off and they isisted it wouldnt come back.

Thing About It,

Bitch is that is in our future.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I wish you guys would stop...you are starting to scare me with all this talk.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:20 PM
link   

But there will be refugees. I am a US/Canadian dual citizen. I am heading to Canada if the SHTF. I am sure others will, too.

If the SHTF, only the stupidest are going to stick around thinking the U.S. government didn't totally want the sh*t to go down.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

But there will be refugees. I am a US/Canadian dual citizen. I am heading to Canada if the SHTF. I am sure others will, too.

If the SHTF, only the stupidest are going to stick around thinking the U.S. government didn't totally want the sh*t to go down.

Continuity Of Government:

If order cannot be maintained, pull back, reserve your forces and wait for the next Spring. Then go pacify what is left.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
The EMP wouldn't kill everyone, nope not even starvation. First thing you wouldn't see cats around, then wouldn't hear dogs barking.

[snipped] lets be rational about this. We kill every man, woman, and child in North Korea and we can continue to play PUBG instead of living it! Nukem Rico

edit on Fri Oct 13 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: Terms and Conditions

(post by jaynkeel removed for a manners violation)
(post by MotherMayEye removed for a manners violation)

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
So, tracing the footnotes, it turns out the source of that statistic is to be found in a 2008 hearing before the House Committee on Armed Services.

I read a prepublication copy of a book called One Second After. I hope it does get published; I think the American people need to read it. It was the story of a ballistic missile EMP attack on our country. The weapon was launched from a ship off our shore, and then the ship was sunk so that there were no fingerprints. The weapon was launched about 300 miles high over Nebraska, and it shut down our infrastructure countrywide.

The story runs for a year. It is set in the hills of North Carolina. At the end of the year, 90 percent of our population is dead; there are 25,000 people only still alive in New York City. The commu- nities in the hills of North Carolina are more lucky: only 80 percent of their population is dead at the end of a year.

highfrontier.org...

The book is about an attack with a "super EMP" weapon. Not your run of the mill thermonuclear device. I don't think Korea is up to the task. Yet.

That 2008 hearing is interesting reading. It gets into mitigation measures and such. Also interesting:

They also told us that both there were Russian and other technologists, engineers and scientists, who were working with North Korea and receiving Western wages, they emphasized, helping North Korea with the design of its nuclear weapons.

Oh right, it's a stat pulled out of a hat by writer and subsequently used to inform strategic policy?! 9 out 10 off-the-cuff stats say 90%.

Thank God the House Committee didn't read Twilight first. We'd be looking at 9 out of 10 of the population becoming vampiric. Sure, it sounds like fun with fights in the woods and super powers, but I think we can all agree that a 90% vampire population is unsustainable.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 12:18 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Seems like this thread should have been in the Survival forum.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join