It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress warned North Korean EMP attack would kill '90% of all Americans'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Fair enough. Just checking you were okay besides your warranted disappointment with the human race.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Cmon, at east break us off some croutons. Or some A1 sauce. Not everyone cares for eating 'pork'.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

My car is fried...I walk, nothing wrong with my bicycle. I even know how to ride a horse, build a canoe.

My computer is fried...there's nothing of importance on it, I'd survive.

I can garden. I can fish. I can hunt/trap. I can protect myself. Unless I happen to be on an airplane, I think I'm going to survive.

I am, most definitely, a 19th century individual in the 21st century. My only real worry would be idiots trying to take what I have for their own.

As for the 90% number? I have doubts. A lot, yes. I doubt 290 plus million Americans are going to die with in a year.

+9 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

If you've ever done several months on end without power + water + internet, you'd know that most United Statesians would hang themselves within 3 weeks.
edit on 12-10-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Of all the countries on Earth, I think rural Americans will be just fine if the power goes out.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   
That 90% figure is more than likely for OUR consumption......instill enough fear in enough Americans and no one will bitch when we nuke N.Korea back to the stone ages.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

You make a good point.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   
So, tracing the footnotes, it turns out the source of that statistic is to be found in a 2008 hearing before the House Committee on Armed Services.

I read a prepublication copy of a book called One Second After. I hope it does get published; I think the American people need to read it. It was the story of a ballistic missile EMP attack on our country. The weapon was launched from a ship off our shore, and then the ship was sunk so that there were no fingerprints. The weapon was launched about 300 miles high over Nebraska, and it shut down our infrastructure countrywide.

The story runs for a year. It is set in the hills of North Carolina. At the end of the year, 90 percent of our population is dead; there are 25,000 people only still alive in New York City. The commu- nities in the hills of North Carolina are more lucky: only 80 percent of their population is dead at the end of a year.

highfrontier.org...

The book is about an attack with a "super EMP" weapon. Not your run of the mill thermonuclear device. I don't think Korea is up to the task. Yet.

That 2008 hearing is interesting reading. It gets into mitigation measures and such. Also interesting:

They also told us that both there were Russian and other technologists, engineers and scientists, who were working with North Korea and receiving Western wages, they emphasized, helping North Korea with the design of its nuclear weapons.

edit on 10/12/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

Of all the countries on Earth, I think rural Americans will be just fine if the power goes out.

So mostly a liberal Armageddon.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Naah, I think most would adjust...eventually.

Given a choice between starving and learning what needs doin' to survive? Most will choose the former, especially when they realize that ain't no one going to help them, except themselves.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   

I agree, this maybe a throwing the babies on the floor, WMD's or Bay of Tonkin situation. This is why your govt should not lie to it's citizens.
I am skeptical. But if NK did pull this off it would be ugly. 250,000,000+ dead ugly? The jury is out on that number, but I would not want to be in New York 6 days after.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: whywhynot

I don't know. What I do know is that your avatar looks like my dad.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Lol. en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   
My theory and advice....

If your power goes out, your cellphone doesn't work, and your car won't start... get to high ground and away from the coastlines ASAP. I'm thinking we'll have about a month before impact.

The threat of a North Korean EMP attack is a cover for the one our own government is going to inflict upon us just before a major asteroid impact in one of our oceans.

The plan is to shut down communications (and travel) the second an amatuer astronomer spots the rock, so that people stay put and have no idea what's happening... killing 90% of us while our dumbasses sit there with our AR-15s waiting for the Great Red Army to come marching down the street.

Forgive my overactive paranoid imagination please

edit on 12-10-2017 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75
My theory and advice....

If your power goes out, your cellphone doesn't work, and your car won't start... get to high ground and away from the coastlines ASAP. I'm thinking we'll have about a month before impact.

The threat of a North Korean EMP attack is a cover for the one our own government is going to inflicts upon us just before a major asteroid impact in one of our oceans.

The plan is to shut down communications (and travel) the second an amatuer astronomer spots the rock, so that people stay put and have no idea what's happening... killing 90% of us.

Forgive my overactive paranoid imagination please

Makes sense to me. Politicians only care about themselves.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Are you kidding, just take their Facebook away and they'd already be on the brink. Take their phones, and all internet and hypnotube away forever and the electrical cords would begin being mounted in various ways to ceilings and rafters. Take it all away, no heat in the north, no ice in the south. Not just for a minute of uncertainty but certainty that its OVER, the majority of people in this "civilization" aint ever gonna last. Especially not when the social factors, hunger, dehydration, kick in. Everyone will be pissed they didnt just nuke everyone.

Down in South America they'd be fine. But not here. We're too spoiled, and entitled, divided, willfully ignorant, unprepared and so on as a society.
edit on 12-10-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   

edit on 12-10-2017 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   
In a case like this the rural dwellers would have an obvious advantage of actually knowing how to survive and small communities work together.

As I understand it getting generators up and running afterwards is not a very big deal and again small rural communities have the advantage when many have generators as a backup to other sources.

The problems would be in the giant sardine cans where gangs run almost unopposed and many people could care less about the person next door. Lived in them and could not escape them fast enough. Giant heartless masses of uncaring folks that they house. People would be helpless, while rural dwellers would get to work surviving and checking on their neighbors.

Culture would be the most important thing for survival and urban culture is not geared towards neighbor helping neighbor and there would be no way for the meat and produce to get to peoples mouths. The farmers and ranchers would keep on keeping on but no way to get their product to the masses in the cities. Criminals would be well armed while good people would be mostly unarmed and police numbers would be too small to deal with it.

I'd be fine, most people up here would be just fine. We have lots of resources and know how to use them.

If it happens, wise people need to get as far away from large population centers as possible, as quickly as possible. While others are hand wringing a person who is wise needs to get the hell out and take care of their families.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Lol.

This is great...on climate related threads the OP calls people who are concerned about the human impact as fear mongorers.

Now the OP is posting a fear mongoreing propaganda piece...

Keep it classy.

No way in hell EMP blasts can take out 90% of the population. The people writing this are sensationalizing to sell fear.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Sorry. After Wilma my community went 3 months without power. Nobody killed anyone, and no one died. I found it quite peaceful. Missed the a/c but slept on the porch. Didn't take as long as I thought to get used to the nightly concert put on by the nocturnal critters.

Just last month, went a whole week without power, and I still have no land line because of hurricane Irma.

Living without power is an inconvenience, not a death sentence. It hasn't been that long ago that people lived without electricity and indoor plumbing. It was the foundation that America was built on.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join