It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harvey Weinstein Has Me Thinking

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn
a reply to: SprocketUK

We really do have to do something to fix this. When I think of our future, Issac Asimov and Lt. Broccoli/Barclay from Star Trek, comes to mind.

Or some Phil K Dick drugged dystopia

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

I think one of the issues, at least in what some see as the "mundane," is that those at the top of the power structure see everyone below as a resource to be managed. This attitude filters down to nearly everyone, resulting in the behaviors we see.

To me, that isn't a problem in and of itself ("resource management"), but they are just as trapped in the Cultural Story as anyone. Perhaps moreso since they tend to think they are immune to it.

Decentralization may eliminate the perceived power structure that derives from centralization, but the benefits for everyone (including those at the top) are unimaginably extensive.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: gort51

I thought your comments were a bit condescending.

Most of the comments on here were people telling their stories and being brash and defensive is out of place.

And despite having blue eyes and blonde hair---I'm an excellent cook. French is my favorite but I can make anything. I also read, have traveled the world, ski, hike and write.

The person I married is just an amazing human being. Not rich, not full of himself, not gorgeous. Just a real person.

So I'm the lucky one. I'd pick authenticity over money any day.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   
So you do realize that the only real reason to have females is for sex right? Men can do everything women can do except for get pregnant, that's is really the only reason we need to have a female gender at all.

The main reason we have problems is that our society is conservative and religious and tells people that they aren't allowed to have pleasure, so then people have to try get it in secret.

Feminism is also horrible and causes lots of problems because it tells one half of the human race that they don't have any obligations at all to the other half, in spite of the fact that our half does most of the work.

If we could get rid of conservatism and feminism and replace them with humanism and realism then men and women could work things out peacefully.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

So sorry to hear this....

But you know, big ships turn slowly.

The change we want to see---even in our own family members---is often slow in coming. Most people are set in their ways.

It's been nice to see a lot of male support on this thread---not something we would have seen 50 years ago, at least in these numbers.

As long as your husband seems to get that you're his equal, maybe you can have more conversations---as long as he's respectful.

I hate when men pull the drama card----implying that women don't have a valid point and blaming it on female emotion.

That is a way of demeaning you and stopping healthy conversation.

I would be upset too.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Yep, that's real enlightening partner.

"The only reason women are around is for sex."

I'm not going to go there with you. If age has taught me anything, it's never to argue with a fool.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   
bUT WHY THIS GUY AND WHY NOW? wE HAVE ALL HEARD THE STORIES THIS IS COMMON..WOOPS CAPS. lock.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   
tldr

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I'm about halfway through reading every single post and I will finish but I just wanted to say:

IT'S BOJACK HORSEMAN, SECOND SEASON, HANK HIPPOPOPALOUS, OMG.

Also I love you MRuss.

There's so much good stuff being said, seriously thank you for starting this discussion and to everyone chiming in.
edit on 14-10-2017 by geezlouise because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I think this conversation is a good one and very important.

However, there's something particularly disturbing about the way it manifests in places like Hollywood and DC as a permissive framework capped off by extreme ugliness in what can only be described as theistic satanism (small s, doesn't deserve to be capitalized).

I would like to see the full investigative forces penetrate these nests and bring the whole thing down, say with the bust of prominent figures like the Podesta Brothers and the like.

I feel that by distributing it out across the whole of society could do a disservice to placing the emphasis in rooting out the hellholes where things like pedophilia and even human sacrifice take place.

I don't want to see this conversation, as helpful and important as it is, to deflect from that at all.

It's high time to bring the evil system down, chain the beast (in chains of evidence) and then toss it headlong into the abyss.

When will the creepy satanists go down..?!

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Harvey Weinstein's sexual assaults may have been written into his contract

speaking of clear signs this is a cultural problem...

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: MRuss
I'm not going to go there with you. If age has taught me anything, it's never to argue with a fool.

good thinking... that one has the stink of troll all over it

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I know I'm late to the party and really who cares what I have to say. BUT.

I FINALLY FINISHED AFTER LOTS OF BREAKS BECAUSE OMG.

I AM SO TRIGGERED.

But really, I like it.

So firstly?

There is a little bit of this "you were smart enough not to be a victim" and "you learned from your experiences to not be a victim" vibe going on.

FOR FUGS SAKE PEOPLE, ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

That victim blaming shiz is part of the problem.

Like just because I'm grabbing my boob in my ATS photo, it doesn't mean you get to grab my boob too. And wearing short shorts and being born with attractive body parts aren't invitations to be raped... just like driving a nice car or owning a nice house isn't asking to be robbed. Honestly folk, just think twice next time you buy something nice for yourself- cause then you're asking to be taken advantage of.

EXCEPT THATS NEVER THE CASE AND YOU KNOW IT.

Because more importantly, it's not even about looks or age or nice things because it happens to people of all ages, even animals. Or try telling a child that they weren't smart enough not to be abused. Or try telling a low income person that they weren't robbed and no property was ever damaged because they don't barely have money anyway. And for fugs sake please go and read every single post that NightSkyB4Dawn has written and watch the Tea Consent youtube video which made me laugh out loud. That stuff she said about how less attractive people are more at risk for abuse is so fugging true... kind of like how neglected children starving for love and attention are also more vulnerable. I always struggled with feeling beautiful... and I always starved for attention. So yeah, that might explain some stuff.

Secondly, a couple of people pointed out that Harvey is a shark being torn apart by other sharks and also smaller fish because his influence and power has been declining and what that means to me is that he won't be making anyone much more money so he's being milked for the old washed up teat that he is and squeezed for every last penny that can be generated from this... whatever it is.

Maybe some good books and movies will come out of this drama.

Aka more money.

BUT HEY, ITS ABOUT TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THESE SITUATIONS AND SEEING OPPORTUNITIES, ISN'T IT????? Even if we use this opportunity to speak out about our own stories. And we will eat up the movies and books just like how I'm eating up the Bojack Horseman and loving every minute of it. Cause we're the smaller fish ignoring all the sharks around us.

And YWBT.

And I'm not sorry about it.

Even though I know that people don't like the truth... I still think it's important that the truth be told. No matter how triggering.

And idk, I feel almost cheated now. I mean if any of you know me at all... I'm obsessed about speaking out and being free to say things and wearing whatever I want and having boobs and being so female that it triggers everyone and loving attention, lol. But now all of the sudden in the face of the truth of what those two posters wrote, whom nobody starred because it was probably the truth, all of this speaking out feels... cheap almost. Like we're all so selfish, only thinking about ourselves, seeing this opportunity to make it about us... when really there's so much more to it all that we'll never care about.

But I forgive everyone including myself for being so ignorant.

And thanks again to everyone, for this most interesting thread.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 01:57 AM
link   

I don't mean this post as a big "tell all."

It's been a long time since these things happened and I'm not looking for sympathy and I don't need to download anything in order to heal.

But I basically lived a good part of my life dealing with unwanted attention or bad behavior from men. It's something I just accepted and dealt with and it didn't occur to me to start a revolution over it or call Gloria Steinman.

But this Harvey guy has me thinking. He has me thinking that those experiences weren't right and that perhaps in some way they've damaged some part of me that I haven't really ever come to terms with.

It almost all happened in the 80's when we were just starting to talk about these kinds of things.

I'm in middle age now, but when I was younger I was very pretty---something I didn't really get or understand except by the reactions Or attention I received from others. I was a petite, blonde hair, blue-eyed -kind of pretty, but I was also smart and independent which probably kept me out of trouble for the most part.

But I was sexually harassed by all kinds of people in society---policemen, bosses, parent's friends.

I was pulled over two different times for things---speeding or failure to use a blinker---and propositioned by two different policemen. I was sexually harassed by three or four different bosses in various jobs, and often asked out by male fellow employees in the workplace who would treat me poorly thereafter when I turned them down.

One particular instance was this: I accepted a babysitting job from a boss who lived nearby to watch his kids. He was a very visible figure in our community. He lived down the street from my best friend and their families were friendly.

When he brought me home that night, he locked the doors to the car in front of my house and tried to make the moves. This is someone that I should have trusted and looked up to at work. To this day, whenever he sees me---rare as it is---he still moves right in, although he's old at this point! It never occurred to me to tell on him. In my world back then, people like me just accepted that "this is the way things are."

Once I covered a Bill Cosby comedy show for a journalism outfit I was working for and I brought a friend along. You should have seen Bill Cosby trying to get my friend and I to go out to dinner with him when I went backstage after the concert to interview him.

He followed us around like a puppy dogs for an hour. It was 1983 or 1984 then---and though he was a big star we thought he was gross.

Thank god we didn't go with him. He gave us the creeps.

This week, when I look back on all of this, it has sort of caused me to check in with myself about it. And honestly, a lot of it still makes me uncomfortable and I realize it has probably influenced my life in ways I'm not even aware of.

Like, how about the 5th grade teacher who always wanted me to sit on his lap? Or the man who lured my friend and I down under a bridge in grade school and took off his pants?

Fortunately, I managed to toe the line enough to not put myself in any tragic situations, but I think there were a lot of times in my life where I had to be extremely aware and cautious, had to often question people's intentions and motives or get myself out of dicey situations.

I'm aware that good looking people are often treated differently but I think I shunned that truth for the most part and got by by developing my intelligence and wits. I hated being treated like a "blonde."

I was a thinker, not just an empty shell, and I think I was always looking for respect---respect that I often had to work really hard for.

I know pretty women often use their looks for advantage---always have. But just as often, they've spent a lifetime asking to be taken seriously in a culture that preys upon them.

I think it's time for some honest discussion about this and for some serious change to take place in our society.

As a conservative woman, I'm not all that comfortable discussing feminism or even topics like this. This is the first time I've ever really even talked about it to be honest.

It was just part of life.

But in my time, I've known a lot of Harvey's.

A lot of Harvey's, indeed.

This is NO LONGER inthe Mud Pit!!!

All rules for polite debate will be enforced.

You are responsible for your own posts.....those who ignore that responsibility will face mod actions.
You think you're special because you're blonde and blue eyed. Newsflash! You're not. If you liked the guys you complained about, you wouldn't be writing this. You're full of the feministic and for feministic read Marxist-Leninist-Communistic sense of entitlement. How dare an undesirable person ask you out!

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macdon

I don't mean this post as a big "tell all."

It's been a long time since these things happened and I'm not looking for sympathy and I don't need to download anything in order to heal.

But I basically lived a good part of my life dealing with unwanted attention or bad behavior from men. It's something I just accepted and dealt with and it didn't occur to me to start a revolution over it or call Gloria Steinman.

But this Harvey guy has me thinking. He has me thinking that those experiences weren't right and that perhaps in some way they've damaged some part of me that I haven't really ever come to terms with.

It almost all happened in the 80's when we were just starting to talk about these kinds of things.

I'm in middle age now, but when I was younger I was very pretty---something I didn't really get or understand except by the reactions Or attention I received from others. I was a petite, blonde hair, blue-eyed -kind of pretty, but I was also smart and independent which probably kept me out of trouble for the most part.

But I was sexually harassed by all kinds of people in society---policemen, bosses, parent's friends.

I was pulled over two different times for things---speeding or failure to use a blinker---and propositioned by two different policemen. I was sexually harassed by three or four different bosses in various jobs, and often asked out by male fellow employees in the workplace who would treat me poorly thereafter when I turned them down.

One particular instance was this: I accepted a babysitting job from a boss who lived nearby to watch his kids. He was a very visible figure in our community. He lived down the street from my best friend and their families were friendly.

When he brought me home that night, he locked the doors to the car in front of my house and tried to make the moves. This is someone that I should have trusted and looked up to at work. To this day, whenever he sees me---rare as it is---he still moves right in, although he's old at this point! It never occurred to me to tell on him. In my world back then, people like me just accepted that "this is the way things are."

Once I covered a Bill Cosby comedy show for a journalism outfit I was working for and I brought a friend along. You should have seen Bill Cosby trying to get my friend and I to go out to dinner with him when I went backstage after the concert to interview him.

He followed us around like a puppy dogs for an hour. It was 1983 or 1984 then---and though he was a big star we thought he was gross.

Thank god we didn't go with him. He gave us the creeps.

This week, when I look back on all of this, it has sort of caused me to check in with myself about it. And honestly, a lot of it still makes me uncomfortable and I realize it has probably influenced my life in ways I'm not even aware of.

Like, how about the 5th grade teacher who always wanted me to sit on his lap? Or the man who lured my friend and I down under a bridge in grade school and took off his pants?

Fortunately, I managed to toe the line enough to not put myself in any tragic situations, but I think there were a lot of times in my life where I had to be extremely aware and cautious, had to often question people's intentions and motives or get myself out of dicey situations.

I'm aware that good looking people are often treated differently but I think I shunned that truth for the most part and got by by developing my intelligence and wits. I hated being treated like a "blonde."

I was a thinker, not just an empty shell, and I think I was always looking for respect---respect that I often had to work really hard for.

I know pretty women often use their looks for advantage---always have. But just as often, they've spent a lifetime asking to be taken seriously in a culture that preys upon them.

I think it's time for some honest discussion about this and for some serious change to take place in our society.

As a conservative woman, I'm not all that comfortable discussing feminism or even topics like this. This is the first time I've ever really even talked about it to be honest.

It was just part of life.

But in my time, I've known a lot of Harvey's.

A lot of Harvey's, indeed.

This is NO LONGER inthe Mud Pit!!!

All rules for polite debate will be enforced.

You are responsible for your own posts.....those who ignore that responsibility will face mod actions.
You think you're special because you're blonde and blue eyed. Newsflash! You're not. If you liked the guys you complained about, you wouldn't be writing this. You're full of the feministic and for feministic read Marxist-Leninist-Communistic sense of entitlement. How dare an undesirable person ask you out!

You speak through ignorance. Read this entire thread, then come back and comment. SMH
edit on 10/15/2017 by Martin75 because: Damn spell check... Hmpft

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: geezlouise
I know I'm late to the party and really who cares what I have to say. BUT.

I FINALLY FINISHED AFTER LOTS OF BREAKS BECAUSE OMG.

I AM SO TRIGGERED.

But really, I like it.

So firstly?

There is a little bit of this "you were smart enough not to be a victim" and "you learned from your experiences to not be a victim" vibe going on.

FOR FUGS SAKE PEOPLE, ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

That victim blaming shiz is part of the problem.

Like just because I'm grabbing my boob in my ATS photo, it doesn't mean you get to grab my boob too. And wearing short shorts and being born with attractive body parts aren't invitations to be raped... just like driving a nice car or owning a nice house isn't asking to be robbed. Honestly folk, just think twice next time you buy something nice for yourself- cause then you're asking to be taken advantage of.

EXCEPT THATS NEVER THE CASE AND YOU KNOW IT.

Because more importantly, it's not even about looks or age or nice things because it happens to people of all ages, even animals. Or try telling a child that they weren't smart enough not to be abused. Or try telling a low income person that they weren't robbed and no property was ever damaged because they don't barely have money anyway. And for fugs sake please go and read every single post that NightSkyB4Dawn has written and watch the Tea Consent youtube video which made me laugh out loud. That stuff she said about how less attractive people are more at risk for abuse is so fugging true... kind of like how neglected children starving for love and attention are also more vulnerable. I always struggled with feeling beautiful... and I always starved for attention. So yeah, that might explain some stuff.

Secondly, a couple of people pointed out that Harvey is a shark being torn apart by other sharks and also smaller fish because his influence and power has been declining and what that means to me is that he won't be making anyone much more money so he's being milked for the old washed up teat that he is and squeezed for every last penny that can be generated from this... whatever it is.

Maybe some good books and movies will come out of this drama.

Aka more money.

BUT HEY, ITS ABOUT TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THESE SITUATIONS AND SEEING OPPORTUNITIES, ISN'T IT????? Even if we use this opportunity to speak out about our own stories. And we will eat up the movies and books just like how I'm eating up the Bojack Horseman and loving every minute of it. Cause we're the smaller fish ignoring all the sharks around us.

And YWBT.

And I'm not sorry about it.

Even though I know that people don't like the truth... I still think it's important that the truth be told. No matter how triggering.

And idk, I feel almost cheated now. I mean if any of you know me at all... I'm obsessed about speaking out and being free to say things and wearing whatever I want and having boobs and being so female that it triggers everyone and loving attention, lol. But now all of the sudden in the face of the truth of what those two posters wrote, whom nobody starred because it was probably the truth, all of this speaking out feels... cheap almost. Like we're all so selfish, only thinking about ourselves, seeing this opportunity to make it about us... when really there's so much more to it all that we'll never care about.

But I forgive everyone including myself for being so ignorant.

And thanks again to everyone, for this most interesting thread.

This comment is so right- in so many ways- I hope everyone gets a chance to read it carefully.

It is never, ever, the victim's fault-- in fact there is nothing short of luck keeping any one of us from being a victim. The impetus is on a person NOT to rape other people, rather than a person not to get raped. Which is not to say that there are ways one can (once reaching adulthood) protect oneself from potential attacks, but attacks happen in public, at any time of day, as well as in private. Sexual predators are opportunists and always on the look out for a vulnerable moment.

Rape has nothing to do with lust (hence a person's looks) and is a violent crime aimed at destroying or subduing its (usually weaker) victim.

It happens all the time, to any demogrphic- it's not limited to Hollywood or other cesspools.

Often victims of sexual crimes go on to become perpetrators- for an example one can look to Sandusky's adopted son.

Thanks LOU for the thought provoking comment. There's still so much to learn about this rather taboo and misunderstood topic.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: geezlouise

Totally respect what you're saying here.

And you're right.

I think what I was insinuating in my own post is that in the situations I found myself in, I was able to extricate myself without being raped.

I'm very well aware it could have gone the other way. I'm thankful it didn't, and whatever the reasons---probably a few things coming together in my favor at those moments--I was able to leave or drive away.

There are women who have been abducted while jogging or walking or sitting in their living rooms who are dead now. I look back and I am so damn grateful every single day for my life.

But no, I am not gloating, or giving myself all the credit.

I don't know why some of us make it out alive or without harm and some don't. That's one of those big questions that involve forces in the universe that most of us have no idea about.

One thing is for sure, women have to take good care. To reduce our exposure to uncertainty is a good thing.

I beg my daughters not to jog alone.
edit on 15-10-2017 by MRuss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: MRuss

What is interesting with any such thread as this is that the same men against women mentality is felt. Like men are not effected in the same way. Everyday men throw their hearts out to women only to be crushed by their lackluster approach to men as a whole. Men are often used by women, this goes un-spoken of. As it is always played as men using the women, as if the women is always out of control and unable to defend her own views or stand up for herself. As men thrown themselves into battle to be shot in the hundreds of thousands, while women sit at home cosy and rest with their loved ones men continue to be portrayed as red blooded 1 brain cell organism that only thinks one thing.

I do not for a moment condone any bad behavior from any man towards a women but often these kinds of threads all do the same finger pointing, that men are some form of animals. Some men act wrongfully, while most men act genuinely.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: BlackProject

You have a point.

But this thread isn't about everyone in the world that has a complaint about a gender or a group of people.

There's all sorts of people being harassed in he World---children come to mind. And there's no doubt plenty of men have their own set of complaints about women.

But this thread started as a reaction to the Weinstein issue last week and it's about how many woman have had to put up with the Harvey's of the world.

I don't think all men are predators!

In fact, most men aren't.
edit on 15-10-2017 by MRuss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: BlackProject
I hope that you don't feel that any of my post are an attack against men as a whole, or that I have suggested that only women, or only pretty women are victims, because I have repeatedly tried to point out that abuse and assault are not limited to women, and that it is a crime that is misunderstood and too often hidden.

One of the biggest problems, and one of the biggest challenges of my job, is breaking the stereotypical myths associated with assault and abuse. My top 10 are listed as follows.

Myth #1 - Rape is sex.
Myth #2 - Men cannot be sexually assaulted.
Myth #3 - You can't rape a spouse.
Myth #4 - You can't rape a prostitute.
Myth #5 - If the victims shows no injuries, did not struggle or fight back then a rape did not occur.
Myth #6 - If the victim, male or female, are drunk then it is not rape.
Myth #7 - A woman can't rape a man/boy.
Myth #8 - If a person is aroused or has an orgasm at the time that they are assaulted, then it is not really sexual assault.
Myth #9 - The majority of rapes happen on the street by strangers, or by psychopaths, or crazy people.
Myth #10 -Only young, pretty women are assaulted.

I could continue the list into several pages, because most people have their own set of preconceived notions about what constitutes sexual assault, who can be raped, and what they think it is or isn't.

I wish that just pointing them to the laws already in place was a definitive answer to this problem, but it is not, because many of the laws are ambitious, confusing, and in some states outdated.

It is only complicated because we are dealing with individuals, emotions, human behavior, and psychological repercussions. Every single assault is different, even if the victim or the perpetrator are the same.

I would like anyone that reads this thread, to walk away knowing that this is not about men against women. Rape can involve men against men, women against women, and as it was pointed out, and as disturbing as it may be, it can involve children and animals as well. This is because it is not a humane act.

edit on 15-10-2017 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join