It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Favorite Games Growing Up

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Growing up we all had fun being young and foolhardy, taking chances and exploring our world and limits. I listed 4 of my favorite games I learned and played throughout my childhood and teenage years. I'm sure a couple are well known, others may just be a twist on preestablished games.

What your 4 favorites?

Here are mine:

1. Spin the Bottle

One of my teenage favorites! Works best if all the players aren't male....or you're the only male..lol.

You sit in a circle, alternating boy/girl seating arrangements. Place a bottle in the middle of said circle. Players take turns spinning the bottle and when the tip of the bottle points to a specific person, depending on the agreed upon dare beforehand, the bottle chosen player must do said dare.

Family favorite!

2. BS

I learned this drinking game in Louisiana around 1989. This one requires quite a bit of alcohol, haha..

It goes like this... all participants pick a specific animal turd they will go by. Say for instance, I pick to be Cat s#, and another player chooses to be Lizard s#.

It's a dialogue driven game that has penalties in the form of shots for messing up the flow.

So I start..."One day I walking down the street and I stepped in some nasty a## Lizard s#..." To which the Lizard s# named player would reply, "BS!" And I then would say, "Then who's s#?" And Lizard s# would pick someone elses player name or throw it back to me to start again. First player to error in any part of the dialogue, would have to take a shot!

It starts off slow, but I LITERALLY had to crawl out my friends house to get in the car to go home!

Devastating fun!

3. Neighborhood Wide Hide & Seek

I grew up in a pretty tight knit neighborhood where we all knew each other and I had 18 friends who lived there. We would split into two teams and use the ENTIRE neighborhood to play hide and seek. Up trees, in bushes, inside of cars, over fences, everywhere was fair game except for going inside the houses. This game was played well into our high school years and got more fun as the years went by as we became more agile and athletic.

I don't think a game like this could even be had nowadays in most areas, but we had a blast while it lasted!

4. Shoot the Duck

Roller rinks were very popular when I was young, and during the evening they would have skating games here and there between music sets with prizes.

My favorite was Shoot the Duck. The game would be announced and everyone would try to get as much speed as they could around the rink. Then the DJ would say, "Shoot the Duck!!" You then had to squat low on one skate while suspending your other leg out parallel with the floor. All the momentum you tried to get would then be used to navigate and maneuver around being careful not to bump into people while trying to stay rolling. Of course people would hit each other, fall over, etc. all in fun, and the last to be still in form and rolling won.

Not many rinks around anymore, but those are my favorite games.

edit on E31America/ChicagoThu, 12 Oct 2017 16:43:09 -050010pmThursdayth04pm by EternalShadow because: editing

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

Those all sound fun, but I was too busy geeking out with RP games.

Dungeons and Dragons
Boot Hill
Gamma World
Top Secret

I miss those lazy afternoons.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   
D&D
Monopoly
Backgammon
Yahtzee

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Yeah I dabbled a bit with D&D and Laser Tag! LOL

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Yes!

I played all kinds of games. From the in depth tabletop strategy games I played with my geeky friends in high school to the board and card games I played with my family and extended family at get togethers.

I don't know that I had a favorite. I loved them all.

Then I hit college and my husband got me started on tabletop RPG, and now I do computer games too.

I think some of the best times around a table were playing Call Your Partner Rook with the extended family at Christmas.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I loved playing PC games; Reversi, Captain Comic, F117 Stealth Fighter, Xenon, as well as D&D games (nethack, adventure)
We'd play them Rocky Horror style; when I found a food ration, I'd eat a sandwich or toffee tablet, finding a potion, I'd take a drink. We had a multi-player ASCII maze game called "grid".

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I actually really did like some of the board games like Chess, Stratego and for some reason I loved the game of Life.

We also played a ton of Wiffle ball as kids.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

My extended family would also partner up and play croquet in the summers. My youngest cousin and my grandfather were a deadly duo. Very hard to beat!

I did all kinds of sports too.

I was one of those kids who just plain liked being into and trying everything.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

My extended family would also partner up and play croquet in the summers. My youngest cousin and my grandfather were a deadly duo. Very hard to beat!

I did all kinds of sports too.

I was one of those kids who just plain liked being into and trying everything.

Wow, you just reminded me that we used to play croquet a lot in the backyard.

However, we set it up as 'cross country' croquet. We put wickets in front of roots, on hills and in bushes just to make it a little more fun and challenging. I had nearly forgotten.

Thank you!

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   

We would pick teams and have dirt ball fights. It was pretty fun............it would hurt a little sometimes. But well worth it.
We would play war on ice skates. Kickball was fun. Softball. Dodgeball was a blast. There was so many.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Heh.

Granparents' place was out in the country. It was pretty much accepted that hazards of terrain were going to occur.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Wall Ball, we played a lot of that growing up in apartments. Also, HORSE was fun whenever there was a basketball court around.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I spent a lot of time playing football, baseball and basketball by myself. Impossible? Heh, I did it.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Ditch Out same thing as the above Neighborhood Wide Hide & Seek, The way we played it was break into two teams generally about 5 per team and we played it after dark. One team hid from the other, then each member of the hiding team needed to get back to the starting point. Wait until all were caught or made it back.
edit on 12-10-2017 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Hmmm, football baseball and neighborhood-wide army.
All snowball fights would be integrated into army as well.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Nice topic ....

Hide and Seek, on base after dark, was a real favorite - as was playing 'army' during the day.

Red Rover was a big one - I hated it because I was small and always got knocked down and dragged playing it.

Four Square - at school ... and caroms.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   
playin tag on the hay bales stacks was epic...unless the old man caught us

ball hockey...also epic

Id always lose at chess against my older brother....but it was super fun

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:12 PM
link   
D&d, ninja burger, attack. But i loved me some BS as well.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Oh, childhood games!! For outdoors, we'd do a wide ranged hide-and-seek, too, with boundaries clearly set, and all in free sorts of things built in, if one couldn't find others. Even a mad dash for base, during which you could be caught, or home free. Fun times!!

We played Red Rover, too - split into two groups, each forms a chain, locking arms, and calls for someone on the other side to "come over". Break through, and steal a player from that team, don't and stuck on the team, instead. Team who collects all wins.

Tag, of course, old standard.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 01:55 AM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

One funny thing I just remembered about when we played army.

We'd collect those rank medals from the local army surplus store, like the bars for a Sgt or the leaf for Major or Lieutenant Colonel.... I always wore the double silver bars for the Captain on my army hat.

Hahhahaha, I bet the adults in the neighborhood thought it was funny to see a dozen kids all dressed up like soldiers with their toy guns having battles through the alley, jumping in everyone's back yards, holding hostages, etc.

Once the laser tag stuff came out everyone got that, it really solved the whole "You didn't shoot me! Yes I did!" arguments.
Water guns and balloons worked good too.

Ahhh, the memories of childhood, hahahhaha
edit on 10/13/2017 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join