It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone recommend a decent pistol?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Firstly you need to decide on what its main function is, then your budget. With those 2 things in mind your decision should be easy.
edit on 12-10-2017 by mazzroth because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-10-2017 by mazzroth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: mazzroth
My friend if I can't hold 1 inch at 25 yards I would give up competitive shooting, my STI will cut one hole at 25 yards and 1" inch at 50 yards. Granted its a match grade pistol and I certainly wouldn't take it to a gunfight because they are softer loads and would have zero wound channeling. The issue is Glock owners here, they do have this strong belief they are owning a "Ferrari" when in fact they are more like a VW beetle.

I thought we were talking basic shooting, not competition. If I really try, I can get 2" groups with a stock G23 at 25yds 2 handed standing.

Glocks are not inaccurate, their owners are.

If I'm actually trying to be competitive ( with friends, since I let my gun club membership lapse ), I'll pull out the Gold Cup and shoot cloverleafs.

Point is, back to the OP, a Glock in 9mm is a reliable, accurate gun that is well-suited for the OP's purposes.

P.S.: A pistol is for fighting your way back to the rifle that you never should have laid down. If you're engaging a threat beyond 15 yds, you really should be using a rifle, as ANY pistol is poorly suited for the task.
edit on 10-12-2017 by cynicalheathen because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: mazzroth

originally posted by: stormbringercompanion
Wilson Combat Custom Beretta 92G

A shooting buddy of mine just acquired one with the green grips, it looks and feels great except its still a freaking 92. The barrel lock up on these pistols is horrendous and unless you get it shopped expect a 7 ring group at 50 yards. The 92 is what we call a tv gun, yes granted they are Bullseye champions but those are so heavily modded they can barely be considered a 92 anymore.

Out of the box a 92 has horrid accuracy over distance.

You did see the “Wilson Combat Custom” part?

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Lab4Us

Didn't know you could actually "combat" there in the US.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a nice handy one that goes pew pew pew when ya want it to!

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: cynicalheathen

That's always the reasoning I see but honestly, in the kind of scenario you're referring to, there's plenty of access to weapons of those calibers. I'd rather start off with something I prefer or keep that with me for certain situations and use the scrounged weapons for every day things.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: mazzroth

A 22 is an often overlooked go-to for many applications, simply because of the round's size, but it is the most versatile and effective in my opinion. For some of the reasons you mentioned.

My daily carry is a 22, in fact. You can put it in a pocket and no one would ever notice and it has the ability to do what it's needed to do, as much as a 9mm or the "cannons" people like to carry.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Though I've yet to try one, I always felt the Kel Tec PMR-30 22 mag would be a fantastic bug out weapon. Check it out.
pmr30

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   
A lot of missing information here. Such as: 1. What will it be used for? 2. Will the whole family shoot it? 3. What's you and your family's shooting experience? 4. Have you or your family had training?

Once these are answered, some real shooters can help you out.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   
i see the Beretta's are getting it for some odd reason. Never had a problem with mine although that 84 cheetah has a cheese grater sharpness to the slide. Even thinking about a tomcat to expand the Baretta line. Of course M9 and CX4 makes for a decent utility combo if a 357 or 44 revolver/rifle combo isn't doable. 357 combo is fun, but I already see a future 44 combo as well. Especially if I start reloading and can scale powder charges to fit certain needs.

A word on prices, find a good local gun shop that deals mostly in used over new and give the SIG's a good look. You may find that there are plenty of 9's and 40's while 45's are smaller inventories. A great 45 is the SIG P220. FHN doesn't make junk either.

A word on Taurus revolvers...don't unless you can vouch for the person selling it to you. The semiautos are...okay, Just hear lots of send back for repairs stories on the revolvers.
edit on 12-10-2017 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArcAngel
A lot of missing information here. Such as: 1. What will it be used for? 2. Will the whole family shoot it? 3. What's you and your family's shooting experience? 4. Have you or your family had training?

I appreciate the information provided by you all. Here is some additional information, hope it helps.

It will be serving as a backpack/bug out bag firearm and could potentially be used by any number of friends/family members. I have been shooting for years, and carrying for almost three decades. However my training is heavily centered around CHL carry and defensive shootings within an established legal framework (unsure how much that is applicable to SHTF/WROL/disaster). I presently carry a compact .40 S&W and have fired many chamberings from the .22lr, .38 spc/.357 mag to 9mm, .40, .45, 10mm and some oddball calibers (25acp comes to mind).

I do have several rifles, including a WASR, AR-15 M&P Sport 2, Colt 6920 w/ M16 fire control group/RDIAS, several bolt action .308 rifles, a .300 win mag rifle and a C308 SA .308. I also have various shotguns which are my home defense weapons of choice. For the shotguns we have 2 12ga 870s and a Mossberg (I believe 590) in 20ga.

tjack, do they still manufacture the PMR30? For some reason I was under the impression it was going away, am I mistaken? Very interesting alternative.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns

originally posted by: ArcAngel

I appreciate the information provided by you all. Here is some additional information, hope it helps.

It will be serving as a backpack/bug out bag firearm and could potentially be used by any number of friends/family members. I have been shooting for years, and carrying for almost three decades. However my training is heavily centered around CHL carry and defensive shootings within an established legal framework (unsure how much that is applicable to SHTF/WROL/disaster). I presently carry a compact .40 S&W and have fired many chamberings from the .22lr, .38 spc/.357 mag to 9mm, .40, .45, 10mm and some oddball calibers (25acp comes to mind).

I do have several rifles, including a WASR, AR-15 M&P Sport 2, Colt 6920 w/ M16 fire control group/RDIAS, several bolt action .308 rifles, a .300 win mag rifle and a C308 SA .308. I also have various shotguns which are my home defense weapons of choice. For the shotguns we have 2 12ga 870s and a Mossberg (I believe 590) in 20ga.

tjack, do they still manufacture the PMR30? For some reason I was under the impression it was going away, am I mistaken? Very interesting alternative.

Backpack or Bugout bag...used in service by women and kids.....not a re-con bag which one might consider battle ready....

A .22 caliber which accepts multiple ammunition .

You will NEVER be looking to engage in any level of firefight backpacking or bugging out.....you will not be snooping and pooping....you will be evading and evacuting....and volume of ammo is a HUGE issue .....a .22 cal bang bang sounds better than a .40 cal click click....whoever throws the last rock wins right.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

It isn't the size of the round that is the problem with .22LR or the .22Mag.

There are a lot of factors that go into the performance of a bullet. Obstacle penetration(thick leather jacket/body armor), permanent and temporary wound channel size. Additional factors like hydrostatic shock, bullet expansion, penetration, and mass/weight ratio all factor in to how effective a round can be, and under what circumstances they aren't.

There's a standard that is generally followed whose evaluations come from lab and case study research done by major LE organizations like the FBI.

The .22 is effective in certain circumstances and I would not tell anyone not to carry one. They certainly can be a very effective "get off me" gun. But there are better options out there that are specifically designed to perform under circumstances LEOs and concealed carriers are likely to face.

Generally I make my recommendations based on that data and my own experiences.

That said, if the idea is survival/SHTF/BOB gun, then a Ruger 10/22 takedown with a few BX25 or BX50 mags filled in your bag will likely take care of you just fine.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:00 PM
link   
my only gun is XDM compact 45 cal.....sold all the others

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I appreciate the input vxn, and not to get off topic, but are you on YouTube? I have definitely seen the guy in your avatar in a video or image somewhere related to SHTF/firearms/or survival.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 01:41 AM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

I'd stick with a Glock. Whichever feels best in the hand of the one for whom it's intended. Reliable, solid, accurate weapons. Love a good Glock!

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 02:31 AM
link   
If you are needing a survival gun it’s hard to beat a Ruger or Smith .22 auto, if you anticipate being ln bear country that.40 is a minimum, a.44 or bigger would be with me.a reply to: JBurns

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 02:53 AM
link   
If your wife is involved i can tell you the glock 19 isnt a good choice. The wife couldnt hit anything with it. However she is absolutely lethal with my walther PPK. I guess its just the fact its lighter and as far as reliability it jams far less then a glock. One more thing getthe stainless steal it can handle any weather conditions.

Now if your looking for survival check this out

edit on 10/13/17 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

Just got a 9mm slim frame. Make is unimportant here... Just to say it's imprint is invisible and it can fit in a pocket...

MS
45 ACP Daily carrier

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns
a reply to: projectvxn

I appreciate the input vxn, and not to get off topic, but are you on YouTube? I have definitely seen the guy in your avatar in a video or image somewhere related to SHTF/firearms/or survival.

I have an account on YouTube, though i don’t produce content for YouTube audiences.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join