It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone recommend a decent pistol?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Glock 9mm.
17/19, your choice, 26 is great for backup piece, magazines from 17/19 fit 26, but not vice versa.

I've carried Glocks, plus many others for decades., always end up grabbing Glock(s) when I carry.
My defensive round of choice is Hornady Critical Defense, though some people aren't the biggest fans of this ammo.
Good luck, choose what fits you and your family's needs.

Most important, whatever you choose, shoot it often, under different conditions. A lot.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I’ve owned a lot of guns. The best trigger I ever felt was on a Ruger SR9c. But the best gun I’ve carried over all has been my Gen 4 Glock 19.
edit on 12 10 17 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Damnit I didn't know there were already narrowed down options. Still throwing it out there. FN FiveseveN. Best handgun I've ever owned.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

whatever gun you choose,

a good idea is to learn the weapon. learn how to clean it, learn how to shoot it, take shooting classes from reputable firearms shops in your area, if available take some classes in tactical shooting. see an attorney on the laws regarding firearms usage, know your rights as a gun owner, teach your family about firearm safety, allow your family to receive training in the use and care of the firearm too.

just owning a gun won't make you safe. practice and knowledge of its use are important factors to consider when owning a firearm.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
I’ve owned a lot of guns. The best trigger I ever felt was on a Riger SR9c. But the best gun I’ve carried over all has been my Gen 4 Glock 19.

You and I have the same Glock 19 Gen 4.

The Glock is like an ugly dog.

It doesn't look very nice, but it is always there for you.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Magnivea
Damnit I didn't know there were already narrowed down options. Still throwing it out there. FN FiveseveN. Best handgun I've ever owned.

Problem there in a survival situation is ammo availability.

Best to stick to common calibers like 9mm, 40sw, 45 acp, and 38/357, with 40 and 9 being most common due to law enforcement/military use.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   
If you currently have a .40 it would seem to make sense to me to stay with a .40 compact. Same Ammo works in either gun. It the mags are interchangeable would be even better. Just my 2c.

PS. My BOB holds a SS .44 mag Ruger Redhawk, with 2 boxes of Hornady FTX loads as well as 20 .44 shot gun shells for small game. The .44 mag ammo fits the rifle in my truck. So in a tight spot it's interchangeable. A .44 mag will bring down anything in North America, including men with one well placed shot. The bag is a little heavy, but I believe in, "go big or go home".

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: nightbringr

Glock 9mil. I have a 17, but wish I purchased a 19 or 23 as my hands aren't that large. But otherwise no regrets.

There is damn good reason police forces all over the world favor them. They are accurate, durable, and reliable as hell.

I have to call you out on accurate, yes they will hit a target accurately at 5 yards. Go out to 25 yards and you may as well have a spoon and marble to protect you, out of the box they are very good for close combat but for distance stay away from them.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
I’ve owned a lot of guns. The best trigger I ever felt was on a Ruger SR9c. But the best gun I’ve carried over all has been my Gen 4 Glock 19.

I'd feel very comfortable sitting 25+ yards away from you and have you shoot at me, I would be worried about a stray shot ricocheting off a rock and hitting me though

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   

My personal opinion is that the best pistol you can have in your BOB is a long barrel 22 revolver.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I’ve had a quite a few pistols but I ended up with Smith and Wesson as my main carry options. I have a couple SD’s and a couple M&P’s. I use my 9’s for training and carry my .40’s for self defense. They have identical triggers and shoot exactly the same but it’s just cheaper to shoot the 9’s for practice. I also have a little .380 as a back up. As far as a bug out bag is concerned my gun is always on my hip, if I bug out the one on my hip will be my first option. My other family members will get the leftovers.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: mazzroth

Glock 9mil. I have a 17, but wish I purchased a 19 or 23 as my hands aren't that large. But otherwise no regrets.

There is damn good reason police forces all over the world favor them. They are accurate, durable, and reliable as hell.

I have to call you out on accurate, yes they will hit a target accurately at 5 yards. Go out to 25 yards and you may as well have a spoon and marble to protect you, out of the box they are very good for close combat but for distance stay away from them.

Yours must be defective.

I can easily hold a 4" group at 25 yds with a G23, and 5" with a G27.

Glocks are plenty accurate, the question is: is the shooter?

FWIW, the most accurate striker fired pistol I ever owned was a XDM9C. I could keep 90" of the rounds inside the 10 ring at 25 yds.

Practice, practice, practice. The best money spent on firearms isn't doodads and tacticool stuff, it's on practice ammo.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

My personal opinion is that the best pistol you can have in your BOB is a long barrel 22 revolver.

Not such a bad choice, the 10 shot 22lr smith would be an awesome choice with the 4" barrel. You can use quiet ammo for killing food and stingers for a bit of punch, the idea that a 22lr is no good as a personal defense weapons is false and it lies in a few very particular characteristics of this caliber.

A 22lr has minimal recoil and as such shots can be placed very accurately even up to 50 yards, I can hold a 1" group with my 6" 22lr revolver if I have the time. If you can place a shot accurately then you can select the required outcome for your intended recipient of the lead. A 22lr has just enough punch to go through the frontal cranium and not exit , but its what it does inside that would astound you once its spinning around internally.

22lr ammo is cheap and plentiful and you can carry hundreds of rounds on you, a revolver doesn't jam ( they can but rare ) but the best part is you don't have a slide mass pulling at your shot to add to inaccuracy.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Wilson Combat Custom Beretta 92G

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: cynicalheathen

originally posted by: mazzroth

Yours must be defective.

I can easily hold a 4" group at 25 yds with a G23, and 5" with a G27.

Glocks are plenty accurate, the question is: is the shooter?

FWIW, the most accurate striker fired pistol I ever owned was a XDM9C. I could keep 90" of the rounds inside the 10 ring at 25 yds.

Practice, practice, practice. The best money spent on firearms isn't doodads and tacticool stuff, it's on practice ammo.

My friend if I can't hold 1 inch at 25 yards I would give up competitive shooting, my STI will cut one hole at 25 yards and 1" inch at 50 yards. Granted its a match grade pistol and I certainly wouldn't take it to a gunfight because they are softer loads and would have zero wound channeling. The issue is Glock owners here, they do have this strong belief they are owning a "Ferrari" when in fact they are more like a VW beetle.

Sig Sauer, Sti, Infinity and CZ make very good accurate pistols out of the box that will shoot reliably and accurately. A glock is pistol someone pulls out to show their mates ( friends ) and muzzle burn assailants.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   
A nerf gun

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormbringercompanion

A shooting buddy of mine just acquired one with the green grips, it looks and feels great except its still a freaking 92. The barrel lock up on these pistols is horrendous and unless you get it shopped expect a 7 ring group at 50 yards. The 92 is what we call a tv gun, yes granted they are Bullseye champions but those are so heavily modded they can barely be considered a 92 anymore.

Out of the box a 92 has horrid accuracy over distance.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Wow, thanks for all of the helpful opinions and information everyone!

You all made a lot of great points, and I would like to point out that the pistols I listed were just ideas and am definitely open for suggestions. I am looking to spend

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
A nerf gun

OK, but only if its the Nerf'nStrike Elite Accustrike Raptorstrike Blaster!

kohls

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormbringercompanion

Nice pistol, picked up one myself, though it’s a safe queen.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join