It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone recommend a decent pistol?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Hello Survival forum! I have been considering making a firearm purchase for my BOB in case some type of natural disaster temporarily disrupted civil society. I have narrowed it down to a couple of choices, and prefer a full size because I already carry a compact .40 S&W.

I am fairly certain I'd like to go with 9MM because of its availability and being a tad easier to shoot (for family members, recoil wise) especially in a full size frame. I am also debating whether sticking with .40 would be beneficial since I am used to the cartridge. I also believe the larger frame would help take some of the snappiness out of a .40 S&W's recoil impulse.

The working ideas are: Glock 17 9mm, Sig P2022 .40 S&W, Glock 22 .40 S&W, M&P 9 (currently carry M&P 40C, and love the trigger/reset)

If anyone could provide some advice to help me narrow these down it would be appreciated. I would like to just get them all, but I don't think dipping into vacation funds would be such a great idea

JB

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

Glock 9mil. I have a 17, but wish I purchased a 19 or 23 as my hands aren't that large. But otherwise no regrets.

There is damn good reason police forces all over the world favor them. They are accurate, durable, and reliable as hell.
edit on 12-10-2017 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Thanks nightbringr, I appreciate the advice. I am really fond of the Glock 17/19 and love the high cap magazine options for all of the double stack 9mils

I've heard Federal HST and Speer Gold dots are well respected defensive rounds. I think it would make a great backup/bag pistol, and I know my family could shoot it well. They do well with the .40, but no one is fond of the recoil or noise

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: nightbringr

I totally agree with Nightbringr.

I own a Glock 19 and it is extremely hardy and reliable. I don't think Glock's are all that sexy and they don't look 'cool', but firearms need to be reliable and not jam when the SHTF. Also, I have a friend that doesn't even clean his Glock after each use and it does fine.

You won't find a more reliable 9mm than a Glock.

That being said I actually CC a S&W hammerless .357 revolver.

I find that I like the reliability and simplicity of a revolver and the .357 round is much more likely to neutralize the threat. The only downside to the .357 revolver is that it kicks way more than a 9mm.

It really depends on what you like and what your use will be,

My CC weapon...

edit on 2017/10/12 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   
While we can recommend many different guns for you, it will eventually come down to your own personal preference/comfort. I honestly couldn't tell you how many rounds I've put through my Glock 19, with Not One malfunction. It's what I rely on for my everyday CC, but it may not be right for what You want it for.
Go to a shop where they will let you try different guns and see what you and family members are comfortable with.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   
A lot of choice is personal. Like chocolate or vanilla. I like Sig in their .357 it has lots of velocity which means it shoots flat and stopping power. I don’t really notice any significant difference in recoil between the .357/9mm/.40
edit on 12-10-2017 by whywhynot because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Since this is in the survival forum, Glock 9mm hands down.

I'm not a fan, but they just plain work when others don't. That's why I have a Glock or two amongst all the nicer pistols.

Put a 3.5 connector and NY1 spring in it, and that's all you need.

I like the Hornady Critical Defense personally, but any of the usual names in defense ammo are fine.
edit on 10-12-2017 by cynicalheathen because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Go with the Glock.....You gonna find it hard to beat. Trivia question.....What did Glaston Glock do prior to making one nice firearm? His company made coat hangers....talk about retooling.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Double post sorry
edit on 12-10-2017 by whywhynot because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   

For a BOB choice, I'm a fan of a .44 magnum. I have two Ruger super Blackhawks with seven inch barrels, the recoil is minimum and the stopping power is great. Only downfall is they are VERY loud. I mean really loud.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Personally I like my S&W M&P in .40, however if I had the money to blow I would have gotten something on the higher end from Sig. The M&P is derrived from and the upgrade to the S&W 40VE line which they basically copied what glock had done. It was such a carbon copy glock sued and they settled. Glocks are amazing guns but to me they're ugly as hell and parts are made in China now...not Austria. S&W is made in America and they guarantee their work. That's my opinion as a happy M&P owner.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: whywhynot

Additionally you can swap a Sig .357 for a .40 cal barrel and the mags for the .40 still fit.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   

My go to ammo is Federal HST or Remmington Black Talons...both will get the job very much done.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Survival and reliability I own a glock 19 9mm

Great gun and will never fail but some people don't like glock

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I shot the Sig 2022 and hated it. Look for police trade in Sig P226's in your area, you can get them for less than $500. If you can't find those, you can usually find trade in Glock 19's & 23's. They take the 17&22 mags, and you can buy a little sleeve piece to fill the gap.
edit on 10/12/1717 by 1MrMarc because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/12/1717 by 1MrMarc because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   
In any survival situation you want to consider what will be around, readily available, to keep you safe and alive.

In the case of ammunition in America, especially in urban areas, it's going to be 9mm, .40 cal and .223 or 5.56, period.

Remember, not everyone is going to make it unfortunately, and odds are these calibers are going to plentiful around you as you CAREFULLY scrounge for supplies.

Don't forget the DHS and other agencies several years back ordered billions of these calibers, mostly .40 cal "for training purposes". Yeah right.

If it gets really hairy, a lot of those guns and ammunition are going to be lying around too.

As far as a pistol? Glock or Sig ...your pick. Best to find a friend or someone at the range or whatever that will allow you to see which is a better fit for you.

!!TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!!

Good luck.

edit on E31America/ChicagoThu, 12 Oct 2017 17:39:41 -050010pmThursdayth05pm by EternalShadow because: add/correction

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Springfield XDM .40 you can also get it in 9mm if you want

edit on 12-10-2017 by PraetorianAZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD
a reply to: whywhynot

Additionally you can swap a Sig .357 for a .40 cal barrel and the mags for the .40 still fit.

I've done exactly this with a M&P 357. Added a Apex trigger for good measure.

If I want to shoot a .357 in a semi-automatic, I quit compromising with .357Sig and just grab my Coonan in .357Mag

edit on 10-12-2017 by cynicalheathen because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   
.44 auto mag

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I would not give up my Ruger 1911 for anything, 5 inch or 4 inch barrel.

I love the platform and think the minor adjustments made make the gun better.

But it is also the only pistol I have ever fired that did not feel like my hands were swallowing it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join