It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump signs order to eliminate ACA insurance rules, undermine marketplaces

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Nik0laTesla

Because that results in super expensive plans that cover a lot or relatively cheap plans that cover nothing and is the reason we implemented the ACA in the first place. I mean really... Did everyone forget how insurance costs were behaving from 2000 - 2009? Everyone just focuses on the ACA's rising prices in a vacuum but ignores that things were MUCH MUCH worse before it was implemented.
edit on 12-10-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

You do know that the rate of change of rising insurance prices was much higher pre-ACA right?

Not coming out of my wallet.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

What kind of silly reasoning is that?

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

National Review
Real Clear Politics

I'll have to take your word for your nonpartisan criticism of politics here.

How is a "strawman" a direct comparison?

edit on 12-10-2017 by 200Plus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

You do know that the rate of change of rising insurance prices was much higher pre-ACA right?

Maybe in fantasy land, but not in the reality I see when I pay my premiums each month.

I was paying maybe $450 a month pre-ACA for a decent family plan...going up maybe 6 or 7% a year. There were numerous providers servicing my state, so I always also had the option of price shopping. The first year of ACA, my premiums shot up 68%. They're now over $1,100 a month and that's with one kid out of the house and off the plan. Plus my deductibles and co-insurance are so high that nothing is covered except routine visits.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

The ACA wouldn't implode if Trump weren't actively sabotaging it and he should be held legally responsible for doing so. The only way the ACA implodes is if Trump lets it. All his rhetoric about it failing were lies until he started making it fail. He is playing games with the American public and this should be unacceptable to any hard blooded American.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

There are more people in this country than just you... We don't implement federal policy based on what YOUR wallet looks like.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Its important to note that Trump says the ACA isn't working, because he's actively dismantling portions to make it not work, because its not working. QED.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: 200Plus

National Review
Real Clear Politics
Slate

You don't have to. My thread history speaks for itself. Just go look up partisan threads I participated in back in 2012. So now it's your turn. If this was unacceptable for Obama to do, why is it ok for Trump to do?

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer
Its important to note that Trump says the ACA isn't working, because he's actively dismantling portions to make it not work, because its not working. QED.

Yeah. This is a severe problem and we cannot let Trump get away with hiding that fact.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: peter_kandra

Maybe in fantasy land, but not in the reality I see when I pay my premiums each month.

Fantasy land? Lol. People have actually looked at the numbers then and now and compared them.

I was paying maybe $450 a month pre-ACA for a decent family plan...going up maybe 6 or 7% a year. There were numerous providers servicing my state, so I always also had the option of price shopping. The first year of ACA, my premiums shot up 68%. They're now over $1,100 a month and that's with one kid out of the house and off the plan. Plus my deductibles and co-insurance are so high that nothing is covered except routine visits.

Your personal anecdote isn't the nation's anecdote. That's why you don't use anecdotes to prove a point. You rely on statistical data for that.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   

There are more people in this country than just you... We don't implement federal policy based on what YOUR wallet looks like.

In a nation where individual rights are, theoretically, placed above the rights of the aggregate, im not sure why what you say should even matter?

Why should I be forced to care about the other people in this country whenever its my own problems that I am trying to worry about?

You seriously don't see an issue with making the middle class poor just to provide healthcare to the poor? Any idea how many times this year I have not gone to see the doctor im paying $600/mo in insurance for just because I couldn't afford my skyrocketing deductible and copay? In fact, and im probably oversharing here....because of me not being able to afford the copays and deductibles, ill be entering a treatment that carries a risk of dying from lymphoma. And ounce of prevention, could I have afforded it, could have been the pound of cure I needed.

In response to this, I've increased my life insurance and now also get to pay an extra $80/mo for life insurance, and another $80/mo for critical illness insurance, so that if i do die in 2018 from this medical treatment, my wife won't be left in the lurch. Prior I just had a policy to bury me if the unthinkable happened that cost me about $15/mo.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   

The ACA is the law of the land

The Immigration laws are the "Law of the Land" as well, however, States, Counties and Cities have opted out by adopting Sanctuary status. And adopting Sanctuary status is essentially under cutting Federal authority diluting the "Rule of Law". Why is it o.k. when Leftists do that and wrong when Trump does it? Oh, well, I'd guess you'd say that's cause he's the "Chief Executive" (sorry Canada).

In the final analysis, its all the same thing every one can hate on every one else for..........the system's being eroded and slowly breaking down for one important reason. The damned Federal Government has long been over reaching and at the same time, it doesn't have near enough Federal enforcement capabilities. Thus, as it over reaches more and more, it clearly more demonstrates its weakness.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   

www.google.com...

LA times? Good one

link   

It's not.

When a President wants to use an EO to change the location of press meetings or decide that Thursdays release for the secretarial pool will be at 1400, I have no issues. That should be what they are for. Operations of the Executive.

Laws should be changed at the halls of Congress. Not at the President's desk, not at the Judge's bench.

Placing power to effect all (or even a majority) of the citizens of the country into one man/woman hand's is not how our government was designed to operate. By continuously allowing more and more EO's with greater and greater impact, we have allowed the executive too much influence over the citizenry.

I have to think this has played a large part in the stagnation in the House and Senate as well. With greater power at the (somehow) senior level, everyone focuses on the "big boy" chair and nothing is getting done.

From either party.

link   

Why should I be forced to care about the other people in this country whenever its my own problems that I am trying to worry about?

You seriously don't see an issue with making the middle class poor just to provide healthcare to the poor? Any idea how many times this year I have not gone to see the doctor im paying $600/mo in insurance for just because I couldn't afford my skyrocketing deductible and copay? In fact, and im probably oversharing here....because of me not being able to afford the copays and deductibles, ill be entering a treatment that carries a risk of dying from lymphoma. And ounce of prevention, could I have afforded it, could have been the pound of cure I needed.

In response to this, I've increased my life insurance and now also get to pay an extra $80/mo for life insurance, and another $80/mo for critical illness insurance, so that if i do die in 2018 from this medical treatment, my wife won't be left in the lurch. Prior I just had a policy to bury me if the unthinkable happened that cost me about $15/mo.

Because you could have been one of the prime examples of benefit from a universal healthcare system, subsidized by all of us (and in my opinion fairly weighted by income). Instead you find yourself in the situation now because there are many people that feel like they shouldn't pay to help others (until its finally them in the hospital).

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: 200Plus

National Review
Real Clear Politics
Slate

You don't have to. My thread history speaks for itself. Just go look up partisan threads I participated in back in 2012. So now it's your turn. If this was unacceptable for Obama to do, why is it ok for Trump to do?

What a backwards line of logic to argue your point. You complained of strawman arguments in this very thread and this is now your point?

How about this, why is it ok? Because Obama set the precedent.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Well if you read the article, it goes into it, but I know you won't so I'll resummarize here. The problem is that adding plans that aren't ACA compliant will send healthy people to them because they are cheaper. This causes a death spiral in the ACA plans as only sick people are left in that pool. So prices increase drastically. Then, ultimately, we are in the same situation we were in from 2000 - 2009. With health insurance prices rising exponentially from year to year and covering less and less health issues.

You mean that people pay for their insurance according to their risk profile? The young and health don't pay as much as the old and sick?

What a monster!

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Health care is never going to be fixed unless we either heavily regulate or eliminate private insurance. It is absolute insanity that we allow any business to operate the way insurance companies do. You pay a ridiculous amount of money every month for access, then you pay a ridiculous amount of money every time you do access, then they penalize you if your access was of a serious nature, they penalize you if you don't access it enough or if you access it too much.

It's insanity to allow this.

It's like paying for Netflix then paying full price for every movie you want to watch.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Well if you read the article, it goes into it, but I know you won't so I'll resummarize here. The problem is that adding plans that aren't ACA compliant will send healthy people to them because they are cheaper. This causes a death spiral in the ACA plans as only sick people are left in that pool. So prices increase drastically. Then, ultimately, we are in the same situation we were in from 2000 - 2009. With health insurance prices rising exponentially from year to year and covering less and less health issues.

Um, healthy people above the defined poverty levels aren't applying anyway. So, these imagine people are going to run to another plan?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join