It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Introducing the $80k pickup

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: evc1shop
a reply to: Bluntone22
Turns out they were really just a little less say $295 instead of the $350 (for example only, I don't have actual facts on hand here). The kicker was that they started a shift toward a 6-month policy, which ultimately came up to be more than a single 1yr had been and the rates have steadily increased each year. I pay about $2k /year in insurance here in WA state on a premium for a couple of cars.

If that's the total you're paying for multiple cars, it's a bargain compared to here in MI. The bare-bones state minimum policy on my husband's car he purchased over the summer runs around $1800 a year. For ONE 9 year old car. That's below state average of about $2500, though. If you've got 2 or 3 cars insured for 2 grand, you'd have a hell of a time affording it here.

I spent a little time in Grand Ledge, MI and I know what you mean. Just to clarify, when you own multiple cars, you typically get a discount and it is usually that you pay extra about 1/3-1/2 more of the most expensive covered car for each one on your policy. I also use Allstate and have my home insured with them which they provide discount for having both home and auto with them. I think it is about a $300-$400 savings. Any way you look at it, insurance is just a racket and the fact that it is mandatory practically everywhere now, you can't escape it and so there you are paying so much extra on top of that initial purchase price. I tell my wife it's kind of like dry cleaning or ink-jet printers the upfront cost are so insignificant compared to the cost of actual ownership.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 04:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I'll take a Mercedes Unimog Brabus 500.
Only 242000€. It's a bargain when you think Lewis Hamilton paid his smaller G-wagon 6x6 around 370000£.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: evc1shop
That is why Millennials are passing up cars and favoring Uber like transportation and Car2Go.

In city life it can really be much less expensive to rent a car only when and where you need it. No monthly car payment, no parking fees, no insurance payments, no maintenance fees, and in some cases no gas payments.

Uber is increasing in use in some rural areas as well.

The car industry will be catering towards the diehard car owners. The cost of car ownership in retirement has made it easier for us older folk to relinquish the keys. Most Millennials, don't want them. So it looks like cars are about to go the way of Bose radios. Mainly for the enthusiast and for bragging rights.

edit on 18-10-2017 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

(post by Michael4 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 04:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Michael4
a reply to: evc1shop

Insurances are not that crazy everywhere. And the premium package is quite a flexible term in most of the agencies. Here're supporting evidences auto insurance quotes. So look more closely before drawing any conclusions.

I agree that they may not be outrageous everywhere but I have lived in Boston, The Bay Area, San Diego, Portland OR, Seattle, Michigan, Minnesota and currently back in the Seattle Area and from my experience in those places for someone who has 33+ years of licensed driving experience with only 2 tickets gotten when I was speedy teenager and no accidents or other claims I can honestly say it is pricey in those areas.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join