It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The pc crazy hits Canada hard

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I live in BC, we're all too stoned to care.
JK

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 02:35 AM
link   
a reply to: violet

too true.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 06:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: violet
a reply to: Skywatcher2011
Americans seem to think Trudeau is the cats pajamas . " why can't our president be like him?".

Back to the chief thing. You can't say anything about indingenous people's these days, I frankly can't keep up with what I'm supposed to call them. At first I was corrected " you can't say Indian, it's Native" so I start saying native, then it was " can't call them natives, it's First Nations". I have no idea what's right, so I've just gone back to Indian. I think now it's aboriginal... but really I don't know.

I've actually asked. One responded "First Nations", the other referred to his cultural affiliation..."I self-identify as an Anishnaabe man". Key component? When in doubt...ask. And there's lots that you can say, just say it with respect and a modicum of common sense.

...and listen.
edit on 13-10-2017 by JohnnyCanuck because: ...just because.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

Americans seem to think Trudeau is the cats pajamas . " why can't our president be like him?".

Back to the chief thing. You can't say anything about indingenous people's these days, I frankly can't keep up with what I'm supposed to call them. At first I was corrected " you can't say Indian, it's Native" so I start saying native, then it was " can't call them natives, it's First Nations". I have no idea what's right, so I've just gone back to Indian. I think now it's aboriginal... but really I don't know.

I've actually asked. One responded "First Nations", the other referred to his cultural affiliation..."I self-identify as an Anishnaabe man". Key component? When in doubt...ask. And there's lots that you can say, just say it with respect and a modicum of common sense.

...and listen.

I find that "Mate" fits any occasion...except manly women, they really get upset so try not to do that.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Lets all just stop doing anything, then we'll be as pc as possible.
Everyone! Assume your catatonic pc states!

Can't offend anyone if you're catatonic...

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   

I go with "natives". Aboriginals can be confusing as that is what native Aussies are called.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   

The Toronto school board will no longer have chief financial or chief communications officers, as the board finalizes efforts to change titles out of respect for Indigenous people.

And here I thought American politics was stupid.

From the bottom of my heart Oh Canada.

I'm sorry American stupidity rubs off.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Its all so stupid though, and the hypocrisy is unreal.

The US government gets into a shouting match over names like the Washington Redskins. A shouting match they sound like they would be willing to back up with all the military might at their disposal:

AH-64 Apache attack helicopter
UH-60 Black Hawk utility helicopter
UH-72 Lakota utility helicopter
CH-47 Chinook heavy-lift transport helicopter
OH-58 Kiowa observation helicopter
OH-6 Cayuse observation helicopter
TH-67 Creek trainer helicopter
C-12 Huron transport aircraft
RU-21 Ute electronic intelligence aircraft
BGM-109 Tomahawk cruise missile

Or bring back some of the retired aircraft like:
UH-1 Iroquois utility helicopter, retired in 2011
H-34 Choctaw transport helicopter, left service in early 1970s
RU-8 Seminole utility aircraft, 1992
H-21 Shawnee transport helicopter, 1967
OV-1 Mohawk twin-engine observation aircraft, 1996
T-41 Mescalero trainer aircraft, no longer in the Army but still flying for the Air Force

So yeah, its wrong to abuse native names...

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   
When will they stop using the word "Chef" in the kitchen as well? That's where the word came from: The "Chef" is the "Chief" of the kitchen.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I may have misinterpreted the article, but they way I read it, is that this indigenous Elder wants the word Chief removed from His Native American School system, because the word has a "special" meaning to Native Americans.
I dont think he wants the word Chief removed from "White" mans culture or all of Canada.....only references within the Native American culture, to jobs that are just Managers jobs.....He wants to retain "Chief" for its Correct purpose.....Boss of the community.

That is the way I read it.
The Elder specifically stated that the word Chief is a European Word, and can be used by the white eyes how they like.
BUT in Native culture, it is a special word they have adopted from the invaders and is only reserved for THE CHIEF.

Thats How I read it....I could be wrong of course.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: gort51

You got it right.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   
its usually white people that have issues correcting things that offend people. does that make you feel like the sky is falling ? how important is it to maintain things that offend others that genrally have no effect on your personal life. sorry things are changing no to your liking . most likely you did nothing to create balance in society and now your place is being threatened

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: gort51
I may have misinterpreted the article, but they way I read it, is that this indigenous Elder wants the word Chief removed from His Native American School system, because the word has a "special" meaning to Native Americans.
I dont think he wants the word Chief removed from "White" mans culture or all of Canada.....only references within the Native American culture, to jobs that are just Managers jobs.....He wants to retain "Chief" for its Correct purpose.....Boss of the community.
That is the way I read it.
The Elder specifically stated that the word Chief is a European Word, and can be used by the white eyes how they like.
BUT in Native culture, it is a special word they have adopted from the invaders and is only reserved for THE CHIEF.
Thats How I read it....I could be wrong of course.

I think you have it right. I also question the whole affair, but I figure that who am I to school that community on issues that are important to them. Hell...I'm still struggling to understand why the word 'Oriental' is now verboten. I think I get it...Eurocentric and all that...but I have met an Asian who could illuminate the subject for me.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   

My son is half Indian/native/indigenous/aboriginal, and I don't even know what to call them. I've heard him call himself "Indian" lately as he was mentioning being the token Indian at his mother-in-laws thanksgiving dinner the other night.

I also have a long time friend who is Indian/native/indigenous/aboriginal (lol), and his nieces always affectionately call him chief. It's not an insult to him.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   
You poor oppressed snowflake, how do you manage to navigate through this harsh, heartless world? Seriously, you must live one hell of a care-free life if you have the will to go online and complain about petty nonsense like this.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

Feathers are not to be worn in any fashion.

This would affect the gay community negatively, which is one of their own. My guess is, it would cause the social version of a temporal loop or something. Lol.
edit on 13-10-2017 by IlluminatiTechnician because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 12:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

I go with "natives". Aboriginals can be confusing as that is what native Aussies are called.

Yeah that's the Aussie term. My daughter in law is 'native' and I got in # for saying native last time! In BC when they're talking about them on the news I think it's First Nations. We don't have the same tribes as back east. Maybe in the states it's American Indian , but I'm really not sure. Must depend on the person amd what they prefer.

I really don't get how native is insulting though because I feel I'm respecting it's their true and native land. We whites are all immigrants or descendants of.

I just googled it and got several answers!

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit
It's very confusing and yes many of them are calling themselves Indian. Don't they still have chiefs that are in charge of the tribes?

Aren't the Chicago Blackhawks still around with the Indian / chief logo on their jersey's? They were the first example I heard about that they were going to be disallowed from using that name and/ or logo. Never happened.

edit on 15-10-2017 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 02:02 AM
link   
canadians don't really care about this # they tend to care more about the things that affect their day to day lives

so this happened then and nobody complained; wasn't even news

it's never too late to move to Canada

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Funny I heard some guy call a guy recording video of some weird thing in the sky get called that. I took it as before the term of endearment and saying hey your the one in power in this situation.

Is chief of police an official term? Just a thought..

a reply to: Bluntone22

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join