It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump threatens "challenge" to broadcast networks.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

You are absolutely correct that it is a serious concern that the majority of the media are owned by a very few companies.

That is not a suppression of speech issue, but rather a corporate law issue.

Depending on circumstances even a domestic terrorism threat if these publicly owned companies ever fall under the auspices or influences of any bad guys intent on causing unrest chaos and disunity in America.

Nope no dragging this into court so TPTB can be in their wheelhouse where most of their wicked ways are cemented insitu....lol....nope methinks a definition following the Domestic Terrorism line of thinking fits better....no courtroom con-jobs anymore......LMAO....but you did show us all how the weilding of Corporate Law impacts us all in areas we sometimes overlook and also that corruption at the Corporate law level and higher would be the best place to put your money if you were a bad guy looking for long term high powered failsafe insurance.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage
HI! I know this was a question directed at another, but I would be happy to oblige with research of this claim. If we begin at the Columbia Journalism Review and use the resources they have under "Who owns what", you will be able to select any number of scores of media companies. It has a very comprehensive list of which radio stations, magazine publications, movie studios, video game publishers, newspapers and other venues and media are owned and in which markets.

By the time you are done, you will also note that they all fall under an umbrella of ownership , a couple of which belong to large financial holding companies. However, if you go even further and start researching the even larger holding companies that are parents of some of those, some of the companies that appear as competitors are in fact owned by the same group!

But you know all this, you just wanted to challenge somebody.
edit on 10-11-2017 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   
The only one of those links that seem to provide anything was wikipedia.

In 1983, 90% of US media was controlled by 50 companies; as of 2011, 90% was controlled by just 6 companies.[88]
en.wikipedia.org...

That [88] refers to this:

This infographic created by Jason at Frugal Dad shows that almost all media comes from the same six sources.
www.businessinsider.com...

Here is Jason at Frugal Dad:

And today, most of our media is controlled by one of six companies. Check out Frugaldad’s infographic on the state of media consolidation in the U.S.
www.frugaldad.com...

I was hoping for something more substantial than a meme from a blog.

edit on 10/11/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   

I couldnt find the page at Mint Press News, but I'd like to see it.

That first link the infographic I posted it names names though.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   

So, nothing substantial then.
Just another meme.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   

The Federal Communications Commission, an independent federal agency, does not license broadcast networks, but issues them to individual broadcast stations that are renewed on a staggered basis for eight-year periods.

It seems he would be able to find a choke point on licences.

I think its long over due..

Obviously, its a bad move to just remove any networks, even if they do knowingly push falsehoods for political reasons.

I think all networks should be given the opportunity to fix the rot that has infected them. Give them a time frame to become unbiased and not politically aligned, either left or right.

Its more than just ones hatred for a political leader.. the media has a great responsibility to present the facts so the people can make informed decisions. When the media deliberately lies to try and fool you into the wrong choice, its dangerous.

But yes, you will also get those die hards who froth at the mouth and proclaim any action a return of the 3rd Reich.
edit on 11/10/17 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/10/17 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Look up guys, I got what you both want ... them sweet sweet resources, mmm..... resources....

edit on 10-11-2017 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Okay, so with 6 total parent companies what do you think the numbers listed in the meme are more likely to be??

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry
I prefer facts, actually.

Don't care much for memes, actually.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: smurfy

Trump does not seem to be aware that TV networks are not licensed. Another one of those complicated things he didn't know about.

However, the broadcasting towers are really the key.

They are highly regulated, by wattage and footprint.

Just a thought. Could he go after their broadcast licenses ?

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

There's a lot of info about the organizational structures, but nice clean hard numbers on the numbers of total newspapers, etc, executives, are what we're lacking.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Okay, so with 6 total parent companies what do you think the numbers listed in the meme are more likely to be??

That is called "begging the question."
www.txstate.edu...

What makes you think there are only 6 parent companies?

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   

The whole world everything I've ever seen all agrees there are only 6 parent companies in the US. THey're trying to compact it into 5 currently. They'd take it all the way down to one if allowed.

But if you have some numbers that show otherwise quit beatin around the george bush.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   
You seem to be the one beating around the bush.

I'm the one who asked for numbers, for facts. You provided none. "The whole world knows it." Sure.

How about starting by naming those 6 companies. And which one is on the way out. That might be interesting.

I know there are large media corporations. I asked for evidence that 6 of them control 90% of news media.

edit on 10/11/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisssNo, actually it will take some time, but if we go through that Columbia University resource, we can literally count it ourselves from the most recent information they have updated there. Some companies were updated more recently than others. When I tell you they have every radio station and broadcast station and newspaper and website and magazine, I mean they list them all. It is just a matter of going down the list one by one, tallying them up and then connecting all the parent companies.

I know the most popular radio station here overall 94.1 is owned by CBS. CBS also owns four of the tv stations in our market. They used to own all the billboards as well, them and clear-channel. That was recently sold to something called OUTFRONT media, which I have not yet researched who their parent company yet. In fact, I am going to start with CBS as an example of the information you will find in that resource which I have known about for nearly a decade now. I actually discovered it here on ATS as a lurker long ago.

It frequently shifts between 4 and six who own the majority, in this case 90% plus. But I agree, there may actually only be one or two when you finally dig through enough documentation to realize that when controlling interest in shares and boards of directors are concerned, even their parent companies are technically in control of groups like BlackRock, The Carlye Group, etc.. etc..

You know, the big names we used to love to hate in conspiracy circles before the media tricked the citizens to believe they are the audience of a live unscripted trash talk tv show .

That's besides the fact that this whole NFL hoopla, war with media is just to distract from the fact that the USA and Israel have created Kurdistan, trained an army of nearly 100,000+ and sent them enough firepower to match that of surrounding hostile states to maintain those borders, all while Rex Tiller son himself secured the oil during Obama's tenure making him the shadowy hand that guides it all ala Dick Cheney style.

But that's not the topic so whatever.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   
It’s amazing he has the time to troll so much when he is so busy saving the US from natural disasters, rogue states, and now, the very lying media that has been leading your mind for so long.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Fascist!

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Dude its right in wikipedia.

Everyone but you knows only 6 conglomerates own 90% of US media, and you expect me to write you a damn book on it? A book you are only about 2.94703% likely to even comment no less.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Dude its right in wikipedia.
I showed you Wikipedia's source. It's a blog from Jason's Dad.

Everyone but you knows only 6 conglomerates own 90% of US media.

Ok. I'll take your meme for it.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
I believe it is a wonderful idea. A lot of these so-called news shows are only taking advantage of the less informed people of the US. That is a despicable act by very despicable groups.Instead of informing the populace , they propagandize everything.
Its all about money .

So if something doesn't agree with your small minded existence, it is fake news. Many of us wanted FOX gone 2008 - 2016, but they continued on, because they confirm you bias, thank you for showing yourself as a doucheweasel.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join