It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need advice for getting a new dog and existing dog to get along

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: AnonymousCitizen

Take them on several walks off of your property, in as neutral a place as possible...preferably each with a different person...trade places, one in front, one in back...then side by side. Switch humans and dogs. Do this repeatedly over a few days.

They are both trying to figure out their place right now, it's new territory and they are on edge. The new one is in a new place, new people, new smells and a new forced companion. The older girl is on guard because there is a stranger in her territory.

Dogs don't always get a long, so I don't believe in forcing them to do so, but I do believe in trying as hard as possible to get them used to each other, and doing things in neutral areas.

Also, feed the new guy in an area away from the established one, in a safe zone. Slowly over a period of weeks or months, move the feeding areas closer to each other. There is nothing more disconcerting to a dog than having to eat with fear of being attacked...this will lead to food aggression in the long run.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 12:10 AM
link   

I think Krakatoa offered the best plan. I do know that some German shepherds are very funny about other dogs, though; had one like that in AIT (Animal Care), back in the day. She couldn't even be walked close to the other dogs.

Hopefully, some time away from home, and them able to get used to one another, will work. being sure both have their own place - food and water bowls, beds, house, toys, etc. - won't hurt, either. The territory, though, could be tough.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Thanks again to everyone for the advice.

We are seeing improvement, slow as it is. We have been doing the walks, they know I am in charge. They're getting so that they can sniff each other on occasion. We are going to keep working with them daily and I think they'll come around.

We were able to let Oso (new dog) off leash for the first time today. I don't think the poor thing has ever been able to run free in his life. He was so happy.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Success. Took a lot of patience and persistence, but it has paid off.

edit on 10/18/17 by AnonymousCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnonymousCitizen
Success. Took a lot of patience and persistence, but it has paid off.

Congratulations on your persistent work ! Nice to see a happy ending .

Gorgeous dogs , by the way.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Congrats and they will make some great pups ... nice looking pair .

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Glad it paid off. Note to any others....can always add muzzles to this equation, so if there ARE any altercations during the learning process, damage is minimalized.

They make great muzzles that they can even eat and drink through, but not bite each other (or YOU)!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join