It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Online Slavery Adventure Simulation Game Causes Outcry at Elementary School

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   
The Arizona Elementary school is surprised by this game being played in class. It's an online game that simulates a 14 year old named Lucy King who is a slave that is trying to escape a plantation in Kentucky.
Oh what fun, the students get to choose their own slave adventure....The game deals with the slave master's demands, a river escape and the 14 year old Lucy get beatings from time to time.
Very nice to teach elementary school kids, get'em while they are young.

A Phoenix school's decision to use an online game simulating slavery has upset some parents who say the tool trivializes a complex issue.

Use of an online game that simulates slavery has shocked and upset some Phoenix Elementary School District parents who say the tool trivializes a complex and potentially traumatic issue.

Mission US: Flight to Freedom has students adopt the persona of 14-year-old Lucy King, an enslaved girl trying to escape a Kentucky plantation. Following a choose-your-own-adventure format, students navigate the plantation master's demands and plot a river escape, sometimes receiving beatings.
oianews.com...

The school doesn't know how the slavery game got in the classroom. THe slave game is not the school's tools to use in the class room, but a different game involving a Jewish girl immigrating to New York is OK.??

Phoenix Elementary district spokeswoman Sara Bresnahan said the district was unsure how the Flight to Freedom simulation made its way into the classroom and blocked access to Mission US on Tuesday.

She said the district’s “pacing guide,” an online repository of instructional tools made available to teachers, did not include that mission. The guide did include the City of Immigrants mission, which involves a 14-year-old Jewish girl immigrating to New York from Russia in 1907.

So it is the Corp for Public broadcasting and National Endowment for the Humanities are the orgs that came up with this. And they won 20 awards. Nice.

The Corporation for Public Broadcasting and the National Endowment for the Humanities provided funding for the development of Mission US, which earned nearly 20 awards and honors following its 2010 launch. The creators also provided supplementary materials for teachers who use the game in class.

The Flight to Freedom simulation debuted in 2012.

edit on 11-10-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I'd prefer the Oregon Trail but what do I know.

I can see why some parents may be upset or offended by that being a game.

-Alee

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess

OMG BUT PEOPLE GET DISEASES AND DIE IN OREGON TRAIL AND YOU HAVE TO SHOOT THINGS.

I'm not really sure where the OP is going with this thread other than his run of daily racial agitation threads involving schools but I loved Oregon Trail as a kid. And it did require that I shoot animals. And members of my party did die and I know this because I wrote their epitaphs.

Apparently games like Oregon Trail about the experiences of white pioneers in the mid-1800s is okay but not games reflecting black experiences from the same period? But you know, gotta keep those statues glorifying the confederacy up lest anyone forget the horrors and all. Right?
edit on 2017-10-11 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Hmmm...

Training in being against slavery isn't inherently backwardsness. I'm just weary of having people of color obsess about times past stoking animosity towards todays fellow commoners, and the social engineering agenda to drive that kind of stuff far beyond driven to keep US all divided and at each others throats (with stuff like this no less) too busy to realize we're all slaves now.

edit on 11-10-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

And members of my party did die and I know this because I wrote their epitaphs.

Oh noes anything but something bad happening to the Party.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

A video game IS NOT the way to discuss this with elementary kids. My guess is this is a cheap trick by a SJW teacher who knows everything.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: NerdGoddess

OMG BUT PEOPLE GET DISEASES AND DIE IN OREGON TRAIL AND YOU HAVE TO SHOOT THINGS.

I'm not really sure where the OP is going with this thread other than his run of daily racial agitation threads involving schools but I loved Oregon Trail as a kid. And it did require that I shoot animals. And members of my party did die and I know this because I wrote their epitaphs.

Apparently games like Oregon Trail about the experiences of white pioneers in the mid-1800s is okay but not games reflecting black experiences from the same period? But you know, gotta keep those statues glorifying the confederacy up lest anyone forget the horrors and all. Right?

Semi-daily.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   

I never said I'd get em all there alive damnit. It's not my fault. They were always getting bitten by snakes and contracting communicable diseases!

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I preferred Gold Rush.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   
this is OK? but a harmless statue of a confederate soldier needs to be done away with? People are insane!

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

A video game IS NOT the way to discuss this with elementary kids.

Gonna have to disagree with you there.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: eNumbra
ok

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: eNumbra

So you like it, and that means everyone elses kids should undergo the program?

Do you not see the supremacism of that logic?

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

The video game includes random slave beatings. This is not elementary school materiel.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Wow!

What about that other new game "Special Delivery"
Where you assume the role of a 14 year old white settler delivering blankets with small pox to the local tribes people.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Tre Bizarre. But necessary, the kids might grow up and own a farm, the immigrant workers will need to be seasoned as slave labor, treated as second class citizens, exploited and deported (punished) if they don't comply.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Why can't a video game be used as a means to teach about slavery?
If anything, I think it's a great idea.
Kids can read about what it was like for blacks up until Lincoln.
But how many children really acknowledge or care about reading something from such a distant past.
I think by having this as an interactive game, it gives the child a better grasp as to what it was like.
I understand that it's a touchy subject and a lot of people think it's "best that we just don't talk about it" and move onto the next subject.

But interactive games are what interests kids these days.
I guarantee that if a kid has to choose between reading about history or playing it and reliving that experience in the form of a game, the kid is always going to choose to play the game.
This has the potential to teach kids history and let it really sink in.
It's something they will recollect a hell of a lot easier, than if they are forced to read it from a text book.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   
But boys and girls can use it, what's the problem...

Honestly, why even be concerned about it anymore? Talk is so cheap now adays, start a movement, organize something in that community to have all the kids stay home, not pay for field trips, etc, watch how fast that game goes bye bye...

Haven't you all learned that MONEY TALKS more than any word or mouth.

Just adapt your strategy, hit them in the pursestrings, you can get ANY organization to cater to your whim if you show them it's going to cost them MORE to operate as THEY want.

Money, Money, Money!

Money!

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Okay, so in between in school seminars such Being Forced To Lay In Dark Room, Wrists Bound As 'Slavery Project', and Jane Elliot's sadomasochistic emotional abuse in ways reminiscent of fringe cults and Soviet self-criticism sessions which break down an individual’s sense of identity by publicly attacking their sense of self, what better way for kids to blow off a little steam than a nice video game complete with ritualistic slave whippings, eh??

edit on 11-10-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82

Why can't a video game be used as a means to teach about slavery?
If anything, I think it's a great idea.
Kids can read about what it was like for blacks up until Lincoln.
But how many children really acknowledge or care about reading something from such a distant past.
I think by having this as an interactive game, it gives the child a better grasp as to what it was like.
I understand that it's a touchy subject and a lot of people think it's "best that we just don't talk about it" and move onto the next subject.

But interactive games are what interests kids these days.
I guarantee that if a kid has to choose between reading about history or playing it and reliving that experience in the form of a game, the kid is always going to choose to play the game.
This has the potential to teach kids history and let it really sink in.
It's something they will recollect a hell of a lot easier, than if they are forced to read it from a text book.

Kids also want to eat ice cream and mac and cheese for every meal.

Slavery is a very complicated issue that doesn't need to go into the graphic detail that this game does. Of course kids want to play video games all day, that is not a reason to have a slavery adventure game used in elementary school.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join