It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flying spyder drone capable of suspention

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Forget spider man and spider pig there's a new spider in town and it's name is SpiderMAV!
This unique drone is capable of suspending itself from ceilings and shooting out strings of silk in order to anchor itself to walls for resting when not on the ground.

"Perching is turning out to be a very desirable skill for aerial robots. The ability to land on walls or ceilings, rather than having to go to the ground, gives a drone the advantage of being high up in the air

magnetic anchor launcher and an actuated spooling system using polystyrene thread, the report said.

(Tech Xplore)—Getting a drone up in the air is only one step ahead for those who work on and study drones. The feats to accomplish further rest in how well they fly, self-balance, perch, land and, if used in numbers, how they may move in formation.

And it does so wherever it needs to. "The SpiderMAV can shoot actual silk strings at walls in order to stabilize itself to perch against structures wherever necessary or convenient." said Marco Margaritoff in The Drive.

The inspiration came from Darwin's bark spider. "It's inspired by the Darwin's bark spider that spins a circular web with anchor lines up to 25 meters (82 feet) long," said Steven Dufresne in Hackaday.

techxplore.com...

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Pretty interesting.
I'm in the drone business. Asides from a novelty drone, I don't see the primary purpose.
Don't get me wrong, it's a cool invention, and I'm sure someone can come up with a great use for this drone.
Maybe underground in a mine, the drone can perch by shooting its anchors into a soft rock face. Maybe have seismic sensors on the anchors. So the drone can monitor seismic activity while conducting an inspection.

My underground drone communicates with the seismic monitors. And will travel to the area the last seismic event originated. -provided it's over a certain limit.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

A potential outcome could be small drone that can attach to a ceiling and secretly be used as a camera spying on anything. using very little power. Like a deep cover infiltration drone

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Awesome! It reminds me of that documentary called “Alien Planet” with the scene that has high winds coming in and the drone anchoring itself to nearby rocks.

I know you’ve seen it!!!!

Check out the 1hour 12min 15sec mark in the video.

I can see this being added to drones on mars
edit on 11/10/17 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: gdkknxnqkc

The ability to land on walls or ceilings, rather than having to go to the ground, gives a drone the advantage of being high up in the air

Drone swarms will need this capability when deployed in the combat theatre. Imagine a swarm of drones going after a group of enemy combatants, each one targeting an individual. In the first minutes many enemies fall, but some will escape into armed vehicles, structures, a cave.

The drone will simply suspend itself outside, go into sleep mode and wait. They gotta come out sooner or later.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

A great use would be mobile security cameras. Set up a few of these drones in hard to reach places, "perch" them and voila, easy recon of a target area.

Beyond that, instead of cameras other detection instruments. That's where I see this thing excel, reconnaissance.

top topics

join