It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

advancing changes in language: removing gender bias in words. you give here examples.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 02:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom

originally posted by: FissionSurplus
a reply to: Aazadan

I couldn't tell you why boats are called "She".

Buy a boat. Keep track of how much it costs to maintain it. Then you'll know.

I live on an island and have never had a boat and never will there`s a reason why it`s said that boats are a hole in the water that you throw money into.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   
MANy huMANs MANdate MANdatory MANners MANgling MANuscripts MENtioning MEN.

MAN

MEN

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: FissionSurplus

Because the crews of boats back in the day were not what one would call gender neutral. All guys.

The boat/ship shelters them, much like Mom. Protects them, much like Mom. Back in the day, rocked them to sleep in their hammocks, much like women would a child. Things like that. Hence, "she". Or so I surmise.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: FissionSurplus

Nice one, thanks for the research there.

I assumed the term man came first and then they just added "womb" to it.
It's nice to be proven wrong so clearly. I'm curious now if a wifwolf exists.

I don't like the implication that sexism wasn't an issue back then however.
It's technically true, but only in the sense that the concept of equality was ludicrous back in the day.

I guess sexism is something that can only exist once the concept of equality is introduced.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: freestonew

well technically humans are animals so you should have corrected HER and said " you mean animalkind!"

I mean hell! if we are going to get nit picky lets pick the littlest nits too. or maybe picking the littlest nits is just too tedious for their political correctness minds and lives.

edit on 16-10-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-10-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I'm not sure what the practice is in the USA, but here in the UK all nurses are referred to as "sister". Presumably this is a hangover from the times when nursing was an exclusively female profession. None of the male nurses ever seem to object, but you should hear the fuss that gets kicked up if anyone wrongly refers to a female doctor as "nurse."

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

hahhaha - she (boat) needs some new rope? But honey its the same design only a different colour.

Only a woman knows not all shoes are the same even if they look the same. You've obviously been shopping with a female that goes into 7 different shoe shops in 2 hours.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join