It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eminem on Trump - Thoughts?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: redmage

Awww...you inferred that I meant that he couldn't change his mind? That's neat.

No, I'm one of the biggest examples of changing minds over the years--of course he can change his mind.

BUT, considering that, in his most recent album (The Marshall Mathers LP 2 [20), his "Parking Lot" skit has him shooting and robbing someone, then running from the cops, then shooting himself to avoid being captured, I'll go ahead and call him a hypocrite concerning calling for gun control.

He has made career and name for himself based on glorifying the "street" lifestyle, with numerous references to gun violence. His arrest for assaulting someone with a pistol is just a piece of the puzzle.

But, yes, let's assume that he's changed his mind in the past four years since the album's release and that now he's a massive advocate of gun control and that he, I'm sure, abhors gun violence and glorifying it.

Of course, he's about to drop a new album, so maybe we'll see how his lyrics treat firearms and violence from them. Something tells me that he hasn't changed that much, but I'm warily open to the possibility.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: slider1982
a reply to: ExCloud

I didn't hear any plan to deal with mass uncontrolled unvetted migration though which is the elephant in the room..

?????

More like the shrinking mouse in the room that the right wing and trumpites are screaming and running from?

Illegal immigration has been declining. Most significantly from our southern border.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Meh, actors and musicians play roles in their art.

I suppose you could call virtually any actor, or musician a hypocrite for daring to play various villain roles in movies, music videos, etc., but most people know the difference between the real world and fantasy, and aren't about to hold make-believe roles against them personally.

If Ralph Fiennes (the actor who played the Nazi officer that shot the little girl-in-the-red-coat in Schindler's List) spoke out against the Charlottesville protestors I wouldn't jump to calling him a hypocrite for knocking on Nazis. Likewise for Eminem. He's "killed" Kim in numerous raps, but she's still alive and living happily. I wouldn't call Marshall a hypocrite if he spoke out against actual murderers in the real world.
edit on 10/11/17 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: redmage

I get your point, but it's not really apples and oranges.

Ralph Fiennes was playing a role with a purpose in the overall film to bring to light the atrocities of the Holocaust and those who were players in those heinous acts. The same goes for any actor, like Donald Sutherland in "Apt Pupil," or Edward Norton in "American History X" who take on these roles for similar purposes--they're using their craft to bring attention to the atrocities, not glorify them.

The same cannot be said about rappers like Eminem, or Ice Cube (to whom I'm currently listening), or Snoop Dogg, who glorify gang violence and the 'thug life' for the sake of glorifying it. Yes, some rappers evolve into a more socially conscious role, and maybe Eminem is making that transition, but it's still much more hypocritical to see rappers who glorify gun violence speak out on gun control than it is an actor who takes on a role of a Nazi speak out against white supremacy.

But like you say, in then end, "meh." I don't really pay attention to any of them as it pertains to my personal life and life choices, so it's all just static in the background, really.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

He souled out from the beginning but in a way, I can't judge him because I didn't grow up in a trailer park as a white minority.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

So only certain people are "allowed" to talk about politics?

"muh American Freedom"

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: soberbacchus

originally posted by: slider1982

I didn't hear any plan to deal with mass uncontrolled unvetted migration though which is the elephant in the room..

?????

More like the shrinking mouse in the room that the right wing and trumpites are screaming and running from?

Illegal immigration has been declining. Most significantly from our southern border.

Oh really, how do you account for "Illegal" entry???..

We "think" there is "about"??,?.....

RA

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Perhaps a more fitting analogy would have been Robert Englund (Freddy Krueger in the Nightmare on Elm Street film series) speaking out against murders. It could be said that Englund glorified violence and murder for entertainment purposes. I wouldn't say that would make him a hypocrite if he spoke out against murderers, and "Slim Shady" could easily be considered more of a "horror" character/persona. Even a bit campy just like Krueger was in the latter Elm St. films.

It still all boils down to there being a distinct difference between reality and entertainment.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   

He felates his intended audience well... whatever sells on iTunes and makes Vivendi / MCA money, I reckon. Good for corporate shares and, in turn, good for the stock market and the economy. Trump holds some serious shares of MCA... almost bought the label 30 years ago, in fact. Dim Shady just made the Trump portfolio some additional money.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
Trump holds some serious shares of MCA... almost bought the label 30 years ago, in fact. Dim Shady just made the Trump portfolio some additional money.

I guess that must explain the lack of a tweetstorm erupting in response to the performance. Either that, or Em' was right claiming he lacks nuts like an empty asylum.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: redmage

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
Trump holds some serious shares of MCA... almost bought the label 30 years ago, in fact. Dim Shady just made the Trump portfolio some additional money.

I guess that must explain the lack of a tweetstorm erupting in response to the performance. Either that, or Em' was right claiming he lacks nuts like an empty asylum.

Considering some of the folks Trump has happily gotten into Twitter wars against, I'm sure the silence is a financially based one. If/when the media starts pimping Eminem's "attack" (ha ha, hee hee, ho ho) and Trump supporters push a boycott on their own, Trump will start hitting the confused little fellon back... but likely not until the die has already been cast.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Yeah, who are we kidding? This is from a BET awards show. Clearly this would have to seriously go viral before anything from BET would register as a blip on Trump's radar. Give it a few more days and there might eventually be a mean tweet back to Marshal.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: XAnarchistX
a reply to: incoserv

So only certain people are "allowed" to talk about politics?

"muh American Freedom"

My thoughts exactly. I may like or dislike his opinion... either way it's his right to say it when he wants to say it and how he wants to say it. Our freedom of speech in America is what makes it great.

The PEOPLE in America who enjoy that freedom better SPEAK up for it, otherwise someone will be speaking for you.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   
The source doesn't really matter to me. BET are just as trash as MTV nowadays. I might be going against the general stream of thoughts here but I thought the message was great. The delivery wasn't all that good but who cares when the message is that great? I'd rather hear eminem flow acapella on topics that matter, rather than hear the same old bs that's in the modern mainstream hip hop world with all those little young mumble rappers killing the culture. (which is why I hide underground, because the diamonds shine the brightest there)
I definitely think this was also a promo for Em. who's got an album coming in a month...and I really hope he's got more political substance on there. He's never been afraid to release political songs either, with some of the standout tracks from The eminem show speaking on real things. Also, he was part of that "Bush knocked down the towers" posse cut some years ago. (allthough he didn't rap that much on it)

I fully expect Donald Trizzle to be in the studio right now recording a reply, because, that is what entertainment and politics has turned into. The president of the usa first tells a sports team to fire one of their players, next thing you know..he's chilling in an impala, rolling down the streets, smoking indo', sipping on gin and juice. LAID BACK..with his mind on his money and his money on his mind

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

originally posted by: SaturnFX

originally posted by: incoserv
Why? Why would I care what this guy or Meryl Streep or any of the other idiots have to say? He does the rap thing. He needs to just shut his trap about his politics, do his rappy thing and take his checks to the bank.

Posturing $#!7@55.

Disagree here
You can make a case about actors and stuff, but music, and today especially rap, is a music that delivers messages about love, politics, crime, etc.
-turns on some Bob Dylan to prove point

Then let him write a protest sing with some actual artistic (not just commercial) value. Let Meryl produce a play or movie with a clear message and moral and factual integrity that's actually worth giving a couple of hours of my life to.

I could care less rants. They have no more chops for speaking in socio-political issues than if you or I stood on a street corner with a bullhorn.

Listen if you like. They offer me nothing in the way of valuable insight.

You aren't required to like it, thats fine.
Its art, its a running commentary on his views of politics, and it is the norm for poems, comics, songs, and other things that have since the dawning of time been a medium of discourse for political and social views.

Now then, lets all relax and listen to something totally non political.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Who gives a snip what actors,actress's,musicians,football players think about American politics ?

WHO ?

Their opinions are no more important than anyone else's.

That's what I think.

Some people
Some also give a snip about what rando ppl on the internet think.

Here is the thing, its rarely (or should be rarely) about the people and more about the message. If its valid, it resonates with a person, if not..well, it doesn't (and usually then they just insult the person saying the message instead of the message itself as norm)

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   

His rhymes
are the audio equivalence of feces.
I would kill him
but idiots are considered an endangered species.

His timing is off
His lyrics suck.
Eminem should change his name
to Enema.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: redmage

It still all boils down to there being a distinct difference between reality and entertainment.

Agreed. And to be fair to ol' Slim Shady, he has more than one song out there that discusses the difference between who he is as a person versus his rap persona.

The irony is still palpable, though, even if it can be written off as being part of his character. I mean, who's to say that this most recent rap isn't just for show as well?

The entertainment industry...what can ya say?

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Again, I appreciate his freedom of speech and do not want that freedom taken away. He has the RIGHT to say whatever he feels just like I do.

However, I do wish these people who hold a higher platform than I would simply use their voice for a solution.

Problem I see is they are creating more division. Rap about a solution which brings people together. If you want equality, rap about THAT.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join