It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit firefighter fired for bringing watermelon to station

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
'Dont know about this incident here in the "D"....I really think it was harmless....and the fire fighter was just a newer "dewfus". And prob. feels pretty foolish about now for not thinking of the implications....

Do you honestly think he should be feeling stupid for this? Not his employers?

Would you be offended enough to demand someone fired if he brought you crackers / tacos / watermelon / whatever stereotypical food your ethnicity eat?

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Perhaps, it was meant as more of a peace offering or a show of respect? Maybe it was on sale. The best choice would have been Fried Chicken, everybody knows that!

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Megaso

But who doesnt like fried chicken & watermelon?

Damn adults who cant not have a food fight. Here take out this frustration with the classic arcade game (google: MAME):

Try not to slip on the bananas.

edit on 12-10-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Surprised this wasn't posted yet

But Tuesday a social media post by Tadarius Spearman stuck up for Pattinson, including a group photo of him with other African-American firefighters.

"Just want to let everyone know he's a real amazing dude and it was all good intentions," he wrote. "And our entire class (is) supporting him in this. Especially us African-Americans and that's all that needs to be said. Stay up brother. #DFD."

This goes to show that real people don't deal with this kind of BS. The real racists are the ones who make an issue out of these things. Absurd really.
edit on 12-10-2017 by 1337Kph because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 06:00 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Well !

I guess any of these guys wearing a cotton shirt would bring about an out right lenching.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 06:08 AM
link   
I am not a big proponent of suing, but I think in this guys position I would file a law suit.

On the face of it looks like he has several avenues to pursue, should net a tidy sum that will let him and his family start over somewhere else.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: 1337Kph

You're right,

There is being a racist

And there is being Tolerant

Anything else is just racist conjuncture

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: 1337Kph

As I too am in the Emergency Dept. Fire/Police/Rescue.. I said I thought he wasn't thinking. Nothing else about for or if....

EMT/Fire and Rescue

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

Honestly...he is probably better off not having to work with so many cynical people. He lucked out the hard way.

The thing is the people he was to have worked with didn't care at all. It was just a minority of idiots who made a deal out of it.

Here's what his colleagues said about the guy:

“Just want to let everyone know he’s a real amazing dude and it was all good intentions,” firefighter Tadarius Spearman wrote in a Facebook post, alongside ten African-American firefighters. “And our entire class (is) supporting him in this. Especially us African-Americans and that’s all that needs to be said. Stay up brother. #DFD.”

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

Black Detroit firefighters defend white recruit fired over watermelon

A fired Detroit probationary firefighter is getting a big show of support.

Robert Pattinson was fired after bringing a watermelon to his new post at Engine 55 at Joy and Southfield after some African-American firefighters there were offended.

But Tuesday a social media post by Tadarius Spearman stuck up for Pattinson, including a group photo of him with other African-American firefighters.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   
LMAO wtf...It's only racist if the offended party/parties think it is. Otherwise its just a dude bringing watermelon to work.

point being, racism only exists because those who are offended say its racism. once people stop being little babies and pulling race cards, racism will always exist.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

Good for them! That tells the real story.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Wait... wth does a watermelon have to do with racism?...

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Never give one to a Italian!
um! they eat them all the time?
so you can not give them to whites to.......

next time give them bannnnannas

Pumpkin? sinderella??

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Why does everything have to be made into "racist, discriminatory & negative?!?!" Is this the people we've become? Grow up!!!!! Small minds ,very small minds with even smaller people behind them. Maybe he figured a FRUIT would be healthier and go further than a box full of sugar and yeast! I hope he takes them for everything their worth. How sad would it be to live life constantly thinking everything is out to get you. PATHETIC!

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElectricUniverse

Wait... wth does a watermelon have to do with racism?...

Exactly. You tell me why a piece of FRUIT screams Racist?! I can't tell you how mind blowing to me this is.

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join