It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit firefighter fired for bringing watermelon to station

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yes, it is irrelevant. The patronizing idea you think you even need to explain a fire station has a kitchen is sad. Or that kitchens have knives.

It's irrelevant because there is no indication in the story one way or the other of an attempt at preparation, not just because I say so.

Your analogy to donuts is irrelevant because the entire point, of my point, was the watermelon takes preparation, and donuts do not, so that is ALSO irrelevant. You can say "It is SO relevant" but that is the extent of evidence you have provided that it matters, and it does not matter according to anything else. Comparing it to a cantaloupe makes sense, donuts do not, if you cannot see the connection I am making then the conversation is basically over.

You do not have to cut up donuts to enjoy them. Once you buy them, they are 'done' and you eat them. The watermelon takes work. This is a basic concept that you're failing to understand, or you're showing your true colors as disinformation as you repeatedly misunderstand a simple concept on purpose. To even claim this point I am making is related to racism, is the final nail in your partisan coffin, and my ability to deal with it. My point is watermelon takes work, crappy gift, donuts do not. You are the one that reads that as racism and partisanship, not me.
edit on 11-10-2017 by NotTheCIA because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Maybe the guy didn't want to work at that particular firehouse and was looking for a way out?

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal
Lmfao. He brings them fruit, but it's the wrong fruit. So they fire him. What a bunch of a-holes

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: NotTheCIA

But doughnuts are bad for you, while watermelon is not.

Plus the argument falls as if it were a cake requiring carving it wouldnt have mattered.
edit on 11-10-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 10:04 AM
link   
The worst part of his blatant rasicm; He was wearing cotton clothing.

They should also burn his house down and redistribute his savings to endangered black youth

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Soon to be sued a-holes.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   

I see watermelons cut up and whole at events.

If the guy said there was no ill intent got to let this one go. Unless mind reading is part of the firefighters skill set, but as we all know it is not.

In this case the fire fighters, and the leadership need to grow up. Not everything is a racial slam.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

covfefe and red heads instead?

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Oh my god this made my morning. Bahahahahhahaha wow. Every day, just when I think I can't read anything more ridiculous than what I read yesterday I manage to find something that tops it. People really need to chill the # out.

And as to the whole should have brought donuts thing....
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

African Americans have a high risk for type 2 diabetes. Genetic traits, the prevalence of obesity, and insulin resistance all contribute to the risk of diabetes in the African American community. African Americans have a high rate of diabetic complications, because of poor glycaemic control and racial disparities in health care in the USA. African Americans with diabetes may have an atypical presentation that simulates type 1 diabetes, but then their subsequent clinical course is typical of type 2 diabetes. Culturally sensitive strategies, structured disease management protocols, and the assistance of nurses, diabetic educators, and other health care professionals are effective in improving the outcome of diabetes in the African American com

I don't know seems like doughnuts should be the more offensive gift.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   

But as-is, it's like handing a frozen turkey to an native american Indian and crowing "You like these right? You'll find time to prepare it."

Have you seen a firehouse? They have kitchens and do their own cooking as they sleep on site. Why should it have been cut up?

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Deaf Alien

It's also very, very old and something we need to let die ... much like the fried chicken thing because everyone and their brother eats watermelon now.

I don't want to have to spend the rest of my life worrying about how my fried chicken or watermelon will be interpreted if someone of the wrong color happens to be somewhere where I take them.

When incidents like this happen, they simply perpetuate things that ought to be allowed to die because no one is trying to keep those old stereotypes alive anymore except the people with racial grievances. Sometimes, you have to let it go.

^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
Don't give an Irish guy a potato.

But I like potato's.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   
It's a holdover from the mid 1800's that is meaningless now, but used by race baiters, racists and the politically correct crowd. It's a symbol of hate from both sides and its both sad and sick that it continues. Brain cells are sparse in those who continue to use this fruit in that way.

It has to do with growing Watermelon's being a symbol for Blacks of their new found freedom and of course the racist crowd of that time used it the other way. It holds no meaning today to be honest, other than to bigots from both sides. I'd not be surprised if most Americans do not even know about it, including that fire fighter. I'd be surprised if those using it even understand it's roots.

Mainly, it's just stupidity. Watermelon is just a treat that many people enjoy.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

But as-is, it's like handing a frozen turkey to an native american Indian and crowing "You like these right? You'll find time to prepare it."

Have you seen a firehouse? They have kitchens and do their own cooking as they sleep on site. Why should it have been cut up?

Careful, I got told off as being patronizing when I pointed out this obvious fact.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Who doesn't eat watermelon?

They don't put out fires in Detroit anymore anyway so he'd do better in a suburb.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   
apparently mccormick was stuck with a gigaton of it so they started getting businesses to put in everything from coffee to doughnuts to beer and it worked millenials gobble it up like catnip to pussycats why i don't know i can't stand the flavor

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Sagacity

Nope, not even the donuts are safe.

If you brought only plain glazed, you WILL be labeled as a nazi conservative.

People will assume you are trying to force your own personal agenda upon them and that you want them to obey your preference if they are to enjoy a donut.
Wars have been started over the plain glazed.

Don't even get me started on the Boston Cream

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

Being in Emergency Life Support? for 30+ years now? I never see anyone in colors anymore. Everyone bleeds red.
Humans are human....

'Dont know about this incident here in the "D"....I really think it was harmless....and the fire fighter was just a newer "dewfus". And prob. feels pretty foolish about now for not thinking of the implications....

MS
Dearborn/Detroit
EMT/Emergency-Fire and Rescue

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   
"The usual gift is donuts. But you can bring anything you want."

Except a watermelon, of course.

Who knew firefighters in Detroit were such mental midgets?

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Did this guy not watch tosh.0 is it racist watermelon eating contest?

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join