It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit firefighter fired for bringing watermelon to station

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 03:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: riiver

originally posted by: ErrorErrorError
I totally understand why the employer didn't want to hire this guy.
I mean, it's allright to make racial jokes and pander to stereotypes when you know the people you are joking with.
But doing so on your first day of work to people you don't know will just bring you in trouble.
You don't run around and tell "your mom is so fat" jokes to random people you don't know either.
Btw I'm sure this guy is not a racist, but not so bright either

So...everybody in the country is automatically supposed to know that watermelon is some kind of...I dunno...racist signal or something? I sure had no idea, until I read this, that watermelon is somehow "offensive." And I still don't understand why.

Google "watermelon black people" and look at the images. Pretty common knowledge.
Still they shouldn't have fired him. He should sue em. He'll win.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 03:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Ok thanks....
Did as you said, looked it up in images........all I found was a bunch of people eating watermelon, most looked like Obama, some guys with melons on their heads and some old adverts about Sambo, and white girls eating Old Dick chocolate and new Gay clothes.
Mostly about eating fried chicken too.

Sorry I still don't get it.....what did I miss?

Btw, I like fried chicken and watermelon as well, does that mean I cant be a fire fighter in the US?

You know, as a kid in the 60s, we use to buy licorice squares, for treats.....they were called "Nigger Boys".

Never once thought of a "'n-word' boy" as anymore than a licorice square, until at least the late 70s.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 03:23 AM
link   
a reply to: gort51

Did you see the caricature? Like the big red lips and white teeth for example? I suppose it's like calling white people crackers and rednecks.
Anyway what I think what make it go over the top was the pink ribbon on top of it.
Anyway it's 2017. People need to get over it. If there's overt racism, we will know it. I think this guy didn't know really.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Mmm....Ok.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 04:53 AM
link   
ungrateful assholes is what these guys are to fire someone over petty feelings and assumptions, the real racists here are these firefighters and anyone else to presume that this gift was racist just because this guy is white.

should have known better my ass, why should i or anyone "know better" just because we are white? if i was this guy i'd mail every possible offensive to blacks item i could find to all of these guys just out of spite for such a slight on my character, racist assholes.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't watermelons one of THE gifts to give in Asian culture, as in being very respectfull towards the person you're giving it to.
I remember watermelons selling for as high as 20k - 30k $ in Japan, the square kind.

If this guy was Asian he probably thought it was the respectfull thing to do.

$27,000 melons? Unwrapping the high price of Japan's luxury fruit habit

Chinese Food Symbolism: Fruits

"Traditionally, the pomelo, mandarins or what we call the tangerine or clementine, as well as limes, bananas, pineapple, and water or winter melon are seen as temple offerings."
"Melons and the pomelo are symbolic of family unity, they hold out the wish that the family will, like the moon, stay round, large, whole, and also united. Families love to share them and many other fruits. That may be why they buy large fruits and share them together."

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 06:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable
a reply to: seasonal

If he also brought fried chicken, grape soda, Fritos, and Skittles, then I'd be suspicious.

Hot sauce, and absolutely no Mayo!!!

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Personally, I would take offense to an uncut watermelon as a gift.

The real gag is no one is going to get all sticky and wet, and cut it up for everyone else.

This is what makes me wonder most- the most common gift is donuts because no one would actually prepare a watermelon for anyone else other than children.

If it was a box of pre-cut watermelon, it seems like there would be no trouble in enjoying it.

But as-is, it's like handing a frozen turkey to an native american Indian and crowing "You like these right? You'll find time to prepare it."

It's also to be noted, the stereotype isn't 'black people like watermelon', it's that they're 'animal-like' and 'satisfied with as little as a watermelon'. It's at it's height of offence as a gift, because that was the condescending nature of the stereotype in the first place; if you give a black man a watermelon, that's 'all he really needs'.

edit on 11-10-2017 by NotTheCIA because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 07:15 AM
link   

It's also very, very old and something we need to let die ... much like the fried chicken thing because everyone and their brother eats watermelon now.

I don't want to have to spend the rest of my life worrying about how my fried chicken or watermelon will be interpreted if someone of the wrong color happens to be somewhere where I take them.

When incidents like this happen, they simply perpetuate things that ought to be allowed to die because no one is trying to keep those old stereotypes alive anymore except the people with racial grievances. Sometimes, you have to let it go.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: NotTheCIA

There is a bit of difference between simply cutting open a watermelon - oooo, eee, aaah, sooo haaaard! - and preparing a frozen whole turkey though.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It's an analogy for my point.

Being given a whole watermelon is a pain in the ass. Tedious.

That detail is important to this story.

If he had planned on preparing it for the department, that's an interesting thought, but it looks like he threw a bow on it and called it a 'good gift for you to deal with later'.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Most firehouses have kitchens in them. I don't know about you but at our preferred shopping time there are usually one or two station houses there doing their grocery shopping as well. He may have figured it could be cut open on site ... because, you know, kitchen.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 07:30 AM
link   

I'm not disputing it has a kitchen or that they shop for groceries. No need to make that sound obvious.

I'm disputing he was planning on preparing it, or eating it, because that isn't obvious at all.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: NotTheCIA

I'm not disputing it has a kitchen or that they shop for groceries. No need to make that sound obvious.

I'm disputing he was planning on preparing it, or eating it, because that isn't obvious at all.

You could say the same thing about a gift of donuts though.

They're simply in a box and it's not obvious that the person bringing is going to have anything to do with them beyond dumping on a table.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 07:38 AM
link   

...Seems more obvious.

And I'm referring to it's preparation being obvious or not. Not the 'obviousness' of the gesture.

Donuts aren't 'prepared', so you don't need to guess if he will prepare them.

As for the watermelon, there is no way to prove what his intentions are sure, but my point is there is no way to prove he planned on slicing it up for them out of goodwill.

If you cannot understand why I'm suggesting a full watermelon is a tedious gift, you wouldn't understand why having it sliced up would be better. If you just give them a full watermelon, all you've done is delivered symbolism to them until they work it out themselves with a knife. I'm saying a prepared watermelon would glide over the stereotype far easier. That's why it's an interesting detail, and this doesn't relate in your donut counter example at all.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Did you see the caricature? Like the big red lips and white teeth for example? I suppose it's like calling white people crackers and rednecks.

Nothing like cracker or redneck. It seems that these racist names are OK to say about whites, in fact I can't think of a name that has the same effect to whites. Go to race day-redneck is used all the time in fact some are proud of it. Cracker not so much.
Seems that these insults are felt differently by people with different ethnicity more than likely the different histories are at play.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 07:43 AM
link   

And I think you are working way too hard to make the guy the bad man. You are assuming racism on his part and working overtime to find evidence that he meant to insult all of his soon to be coworkers.

What if he figured the firehouse had a kitchen and it would be easier to prepare the melon there than to prepare it at home and bring it in a container because there would be stuff for that on site? What if he intended to do the prep work there on site himself?

Since we aren't him, neither of us knows.

But you are assuming he intended to just dump the melon and run basically and have none himself or something and "let them deal with it" as if he assumed they're be filling into the old stereotype. You're filling in all the blanks in the most damning way possible to make him look like Neo-Nazi skinhead McFirefighter with no evidence beyond the watermelon.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Well, at the very least, he is getting a show of support from fellow Black firefighters, since the aftermath.

www.fox2detroit.com...

I believe they know its BS and that the fire commissioner was probably being too PC.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
You are assuming racism on his part and working overtime to find evidence that he meant to insult all of his soon to be coworkers.

No, you are assuming I am assuming racism, and this itself is the overtime that the conservative narrative is constantly playing to as of late.

I am NOT assuming he is racist, I did not CALL HIM a racist, I made an interesting point about the story that you are spinning into a strawman to make PRO-RACIST arguments in the event he actually did in on purpose, you are his sympathizer, and that is an equally theoretically deplorable position to be supporting. I called actions for how I saw them, I did not call the action racist, I SPECIFICALLY noted getting a full watermelon as a gift is a bummer, and a lot of work, and had the gesture been CONFIRMED to be racist, you could add this detail of zero care about the watermelon actually being enjoyed by the fire department a potential detail of how great a 'gift' it was.

Your comment about the kitchen is pure distraction as if I'm too ignorant to consider that, I considered it before you. It's irrelevant.

Your last comment about what I assume is way off base. Read my comments and try again, I assumed nothing, and suggested nothing and will take no part of your divisional conversation where you paint me as this 'monster liberal that thinks everyone is racist' when I didn't even claim to such a thing, it's nearly illiteracy to suggest that. The only thing made clear by your last comment is who your batting for and how you operate. I am sorry I am not playing your stupid game.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 07:58 AM
link   

It is not. If you go to pick up your gift in the morning before you show up and you are thinking donuts but then you see these nice watermelons and think that would be healthier and you always liked them better anyhow, the idea that the station house has a kitchen makes a difference.

If you know you have the means to prepare the watermelon, which to you seems a huge chore, but to me really isn't all that bad (where you and I differ on this), then you decide to pick it up instead. Who doesn't like it?

If you're getting the gift on your way to work because that's how donuts work - they're better fresh - then you don't have time to prep it before you get there.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join