It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit firefighter fired for bringing watermelon to station

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Wow, Just because he brought the "wrong" fruit? I can't conceive of a rookie/probate intentionally p*ssing off the crew in the fire station he was going to serve with. Even if he were racist, and I don't believe that the case anyway. Just sayin'

Having said that, I would have brought donuts. Because I unfortunately am conditioned to anticipate crap like this. Again, donuts, plain glazed donuts. I think those are safe. Maybe?

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: ketsuko

I give up, what's the deal with pumpkin spice latte?

It has become a basic white girl stereotype.

And I wish I could say that I disprove that, but I do like them.

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I'm taking it back.
My grandmother called me her little porch monkey.
I like watermelon.
If this offends you, go screw yourself.
I am a caucasian porch monkey that enjoys eating a watermelon.
Fried chicken, too.
If you don't like it, you can kiss my black ass, honky.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

If it were a joke then it was a lighthearted one. Maybe he knew of the stereotype and had black friends who he jokes about it with and thought it would be a good icebreaker.

Either way his new coworkers overreacted big time and he should definitely win the lawsuit if he decides to pursue it (which he should).

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Sagacity

Wow, Just because he brought the "wrong" fruit? I can't conceive of a rookie/probate intentionally p*ssing off the crew in the fire station he was going to serve with. Even if he were racist, and I don't believe that the case anyway. Just sayin'

Having said that, I would have brought donuts. Because I unfortunately am conditioned to anticipate crap like this. Again, donuts, plain glazed donuts. I think those are safe. Maybe?

Nope nothing would be safe, if this triggered this response this newbee was doomed from the second he was hired.

The problem is at the top, and this is going to cost Detroit tax payers millions in a settlement.

edit on 10-10-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: Alien Abduct

If it were a joke then it was a lighthearted one. Maybe he knew of the stereotype and had black friends who he jokes about it with and thought it would be a good icebreaker.

Either way his new coworkers overreacted big time and he should definitely win the lawsuit if he decides to pursue it (which he should).

I think he should pursue it as well. Unless there is some information forthcoming, the whole thing is ridiculous.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

How dare you leave the chinks out of your stereotypical racist rant! I'm disgusted, no more cheaply made products for you!

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   
What next I cant share my Matzah Bawls with my jewish friends?

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   
It's another reason why I think all this PC/sensitive stuff is stupid and a whining point for so many to make use of.

Wonder if they have cotton clothes.

link   

I was not aware, so I will tread lightly around coffee and white women.

link   

a reply to: Sagacity

Nope nothing would be safe, if this triggered this response this newby was doomed from the second he was hired.

The problem is at the top, and this is going to cost Detroit tax payers millions in a settlement.

I'd bet it starts at the top as well. Darn shame, as Detroit can't afford to be paying out for this kind of foolishness. They can barely afford to provide basic services now.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 09:13 PM
link   

edit on 10-10-2017 by Lysergic because: idk wtf happens

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Wait a cotton picking minute!

So Nylon is less racist?

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   
A "probie" bringing watermelon to the most racist city in the known universe. This is still Obama's America. Dum dum dum.

As if Detroit can afford to turn away firefighter recruits.

Behold, DEVILS NIGHT:

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
Don't give an Irish guy a potato.

And dont make potato soup for an older person of German origin.
Inside joke from a German Nurse who makes excellent potato soup

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   

I was not aware, so I will tread lightly around coffee and white women.

I honestly prefer almond rocca to pumpkin spice, but Starbucks doesn't have that flavor unlike my local coffee place. And the little place downtown makes a mean honey cinnamon which puts a lot of things to shame.

But if I'm dealing with Starbucks ... OK ... pumpkin spice is pretty good.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

If he also brought fried chicken, grape soda, Fritos, and Skittles, then I'd be suspicious.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sagacity

Those aren't diverse enough. Before they apply the glaze it is whitish in color, I'm pretty sure. And we're supposed to over read into everything now because that's what being "high information" is all about. So you had better bring a box that each donut is of a different type.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable

If he also brought fried chicken, grape soda, Fritos, and Skittles, then I'd be suspicious.

At that point you'd have to wonder if he was being racist or pandering though.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   

What if the guy was like a fourth generation watermelon farmer? What else would he bring?

Don't bring anything baked because there are at least a few whites there and statistically one of those whites could be a Jew and would likely be offended by anything made in an oven, don't bring donuts because the white cops and donuts stereotype might be rubbing off onto the fire department, don't bring any watermelon, fried chicken or any kind of southern food because the blacks might get offended.....I could go on and on finding excuses of why to not bring almost any type of food. This is just ridiculous.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join