It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists propose space shield to protect Earth from solar storms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Fascinating, living in constant fear of solar flares bombarding earth may be quelled in the near future!

Imagine solar flares that directly target the earth but never make it to use do to a magnetic shield that protects the earth and your humanity's future. Soon doomsters will have to focus on another evil cosmic force in order to panic the public

If governments and their space agencies are serious about protecting Earth from solar storms, one team of researchers argues a giant space shield is the most logical solution.

When a massive geomagnetic solar storm struck Earth in 1859, the only observable effect was a spate of vibrant auroras. If a similarly powerful storm hit Earth today, the global economy could suffer losses totaling in the trillions of dollars.

To protect the planet -- as well as its technology and economy -- a group of scientists have proposed installing giant magnetic reflector between Earth and the sun. The reflector would be positioned at the Lagrange L1 point, roughly 205,000 miles away. A series of satellites would create a loop of electric current capable of deflecting solar particles back into space and away from Earth.

Although they propose it taking a few decades to construct and assuming we wont be hit by a major flare until then the future is looking bright when it comes to protecting the earth from solar radiation.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: gdkknxnqkc

SUUUUURE.. I have watched enough B budget movies on SYFY to know how that one ends.. LO

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   
And just what would they use to power such a thing when most of the world is still using fossil fuels, and hates nuclear power?

Big dream that ain't gonna happen for at least another 1000 years.

If ever.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Isnt that part of the job the world grid of pyramids does when it is turned on?

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   

They can't even protect us from hurricanes and other major storms, I'm not real optimistic about them shielding us from solar storms anytime soon.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
And just what would they use to power such a thing when most of the world is still using fossil fuels, and hates nuclear power?

Big dream that ain't gonna happen for at least another 1000 years.

If ever.

Solar power? The potential gradient across space - the space shuttle did an experiment where they unwound a long metal cable behind the shuttle. The voltage gradient between the end points was so high, 3500V, that the air bubbles trapped inside the tether, ionized and formed a plasma

www-istp.gsfc.nasa.gov...

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Solar power ?

I thought the idea was to make the planet from things that can't get incinerated.

Anything solar powered would be.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Wow a gigantic magnetic space shield to protect us.... call me a sceptic but somehow this would get turned into a containment device.
Or....
A GIGANTIC space Wall to keep those pesky high energy particles from raping and damaging our infrastructure.... ITS GUNNA BE YUUUGGEEE!!! (oh and the particles can pay for it)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   
So, I see some scientists trying to capitalize on our fear of a storm hitting earth and shorting out our TV. Just put a whole house surge protector in. I wonder how much this project would cost, I am sure they will tell us it worked and saved our power grid even though it did nothing. Look how much worse it would have been if it was not there. Yeah right.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 04:29 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

neo96,

This is not going to be a big slab of armour or something which would block out the light. What they are suggesting is making a device which can output a huge magnetic field for its size, which will repel and deflect the worst of a radiation storm, heading for Earth. The device will be placed between Earth and the Sun, at a distance of approximately 250,000 miles.

Building the power production system to incorporate solar panels makes perfect sense, because all those items would do, is collect power (whenever the sun is not actively sending solar flares in the direction of the device). The part of the device that would need to function DURING a solar storm, is the part which produces the magnetic shielding effect... Assuming they can get that effect to actually work, it would protect the solar panels on board the satellite, by the same method that it protects the Earth, by scattering and deflecting the solar flares energy, away from itself and by extension the planet below.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Hmmm...
Everything can be scaled down somehow...
Shouldnt this be tried first on "crafts"??

Like Marscrafts and such...

If we "could" make shields like that we should have them on
crafts first....

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Make it a solar powered generator and boom! Most of earths problems solved.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 07:08 AM
link   

I was thinking about a similar shield for preventing asteroid hits on Earth (a few weeks ago before this idea to reflect solar flares) but you'd need to construct something so huge and it would take ages... not to mention the strength of the thing would have to be stronger than that of a flying asteroid.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Don't we already have one of those aka the Van Allen radiation belts?

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Sunstorm. Pretty good story. Well, I liked it anyway.

It's up to Siobhan McGorran, England's Astronomer Royal, to stave off panic by spearheading an attempt to do something, anything, to deflect the oncoming horror. But it's not as if you can do anything about the sun, after all. Finally the decision is made to embark on the most ambitious project in history, the construction of a shield as wide as the Earth's diameter. Stationed at LaGrange Point 1, directly between the Earth and the sun, it will be contructed of a fine prismatic filament that will deflect most of the worst emissions from the ejection. It can't do anything about x-rays or gamma rays, but perhaps the worst of the heat and other radiation can be kept from sterilizing the planet.

www.sfreviews.net...

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   

... Dr. Jim Green – the Director of NASA's Planetary Science Division – and a panel of researchers presented an ambitious idea. In essence, they suggested that by positioning a magnetic dipole shield at the Mars L1 Lagrange Point, an artificial magnetosphere could be formed that would encompass the entire planet, thus shielding it from solar wind and radiation.

This new research is coming about due to the application of full plasma physics codes and laboratory experiments. In the future it is quite possible that an inflatable structure(s) can generate a magnetic dipole field at a level of perhaps 1 or 2 Tesla (or 10,000 to 20,000 Gauss) as an active shield against the solar wind."

phys.org - NASA proposes a magnetic shield to protect Mars' atmosphere.

I knew the idea sounded familiar! Back in March this idea was proposed to create an artificial magnetosphere for Mars.

Of course being closer to the sun the field would have to be stronger. The idea seems to be sound even if the engineering aspect would take some effort.

A bullet-proof vest to ward off the kill shot! I like it!

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Wow now the entire planet needs a "safe place".

Mount a big flashing missile-activated PANIC button on Venus while your at it.

top topics

join