It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

George Foreman is trying to get paid. just challenged Steven Seagal to a no holds barred fight

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: Mandroid7
a reply to: Gothmog

Yeah, akido, tai chi and karate are useless in mma. by the time you try the mechancs stuff your already done.

Joint manipulation comes into play, when you hit the ground grappling, and jits rules, even over judo at that point.

Again , MMA is just like the Pro Wrestling sport . Commercialized to the point of being a soap opera for fans.

Lol, wut? So you think Anderson Silva breaking his leg on Weidman’s shin plate was ‘commercialized’ (whatever that inane descriptor means)? It was real pretty to watch...just what John Q. Public wanted to see, huh?

Or how about any number of instances I can reference where a fighter shat themselves? Yeah, it’s really ‘commercialized’ for the viewing public...like...wait for it...a soap opera.

I used to think Pro Wrestling was real too...
Along with the broken bones , the cuts , the rope burns....
When I was a kid...
Fortunately for me , I realized that it wasnt. ( unless it was accidental)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

i think Foreman would blast him and end it in the 1st round. i have never seen aikido used in a legit fight. only demo's and such. very pretty traditional style for sure but i think ultimately it is not going to be that effective.

Boxing has rules of combat. No taking out your opponents testicles as one example. Boxing is a sport.

Aikido is real, it is a martial art.

Foreman would be toast very quickly.

However ... both are showmen ... more likely they would have a great deal of fun making money for a charity or two.

P

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
Boxing has rules of combat. No taking out your opponents testicles as one example.

Well, in fairness, one fighter reaching down and whipping out his opponent's scrote for the world to see would have a negative impact on future PPV buy rates outside of all but a couple of urban markets.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   
RAther see Bas Rutten beat his ass hah.

Seagal is a BS artist.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   

aikido is not known for its kicking or submissions

Or being a viable martial art

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Holy # this is cringey AF!

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Holy # this is cringey AF!

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat

originally posted by: Mandroid7
a reply to: Gothmog

Yeah, akido, tai chi and karate are useless in mma. by the time you try the mechancs stuff your already done.

Joint manipulation comes into play, when you hit the ground grappling, and jits rules, even over judo at that point.

Again , MMA is just like the Pro Wrestling sport . Commercialized to the point of being a soap opera for fans.

Lol, wut? So you think Anderson Silva breaking his leg on Weidman’s shin plate was ‘commercialized’ (whatever that inane descriptor means)? It was real pretty to watch...just what John Q. Public wanted to see, huh?

Or how about any number of instances I can reference where a fighter shat themselves? Yeah, it’s really ‘commercialized’ for the viewing public...like...wait for it...a soap opera.

I used to think Pro Wrestling was real too...
Along with the broken bones , the cuts , the rope burns....
When I was a kid...
Fortunately for me , I realized that it wasnt. ( unless it was accidental)

That’s unfortunate your wee little brain was duped by those turnbuckle-eating, masked carnival barkers who fancied themselves participants in a ‘real’ sporting event...oh wait, that’s right, no one but an imbecile or a kid would have missed the memo that ‘pro’ wrassling was ’worked’/scripted, and has never been in the same conversation as a legitimate sporting event.

Do you even train, bro?

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Hmmm an overweight actor who plays some weirdo martial artist,against an ex heavy weight boxer who has fought toughest guys in the world,if that Seagal took one punch full contact would probably kill him,acting on TV kids isn't like real life,damn that television

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 04:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

aikido is not known for its kicking or submissions

Or being a viable martial art

true.
we shouldnt discount this fact.

super surprised at how many people think Seagal would do well in this never to happen match with his aikido.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 07:07 AM
link   

I learned more in 2 months of boxing than I did in years of other martial arts. Aikido is a joke. He would just get ripped apart, even if he was the one in better shape.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Awesome yes. Not as awesome as this but that depends on your level of acceptible gruesome. I highly doubt Holyfield would take on Tyson again any time soon, for apparent reasons. Tyson and Foreman are a good match in this case.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I'm with you. Traditional arts are good for fitness and mental health. Exercise. Making sure ancient arts don't die. Not good for fighting

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

I'm with you. Traditional arts are good for fitness and mental health. Exercise. Making sure ancient arts don't die. Not good for fighting

Throughout the whole thread you are linking to videos trying to show how Tai Chi , Aikido and other styles don't live up to other styles like Boxing and what not.

Any style is effective against any other style.

Its the fighter not the style they use that wins them the fight.

Its done with all modern sports stars, psychology plays a large role in being successful or not.

You can have the greatest fighter or the greatest football player be out played or out fought by opponents that on any other given day would be no match.

The style has no matter in the outcome of the fight.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
OMG. It's Grudge Match.

This is seriously lame. Someone could REALLY get hurt here. Hell, they hit each other with their walkers.

Oh and if it were to really happen Segal would kill him.

I dont think so. While Aikido is a cool style to watch, actual application in a fight with a non-aikido practitioner does not go well for aikido. A good friend of mine is well versed (2nd dan) in Aikido and several other martial arts, he has said many times its not his go to defense style. Watch a few youtube video of Aikido vs. other styles, it just doesnt work. Theres a great vid of a 7th dan Aikido master in the ring with an amatuer MMA fighter, and he can never get a grip on the MMA guy to do anything to him.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: coop039

Holyfield will knock segals head off if segal tries to get within grappling range using aikido. Aikido is not ment to be used against a boxer. It waa designed to be used against samurai in big heavy armor using both hands to swing a sword. Aikido comes from samurai sword evasion and grappling arts. Juijitsu comes from mostly empty hand grapling arts against folks not entirely constrained in their samurai armor. Its the way to go if one were to use japanese grappling arts against holyfield.

Kicking holyfields legs will be effective though.

Also it would be wise for segal to emulate the south east Asians and hunt the arms. Everytime holyfield sticks an arm out split entry and gunting then back off. Soon the insides of holyfields arms will look like a smurf theyll be so bruised up. With his weapons downgraded then try and go for the body. A clinch with a good neck crank and takedown will end holyfield nicely too. But again those come from arts segals not too familiar with.

Both are nuts to even consider though. A good strike to the head for either could leave them in hospice

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: InhaleExhale

Throughout the whole thread you are linking to videos trying to show how Tai Chi , Aikido and other styles don't live up to other styles like Boxing and what not.

Its done with all modern sports stars, psychology plays a large role in being successful or not.

You can have the greatest fighter or the greatest football player be out played or out fought by opponents that on any other given day would be no match.

And here I thought the dumbest thing I’d read in this thread was MMA was analogous to pro wrassling — this post gives me pause and I now nominate the above post as equally uninformed.

If you take nothing away from this thread, remember this: “Styles make fights”.
edit on 11-10-2017 by BeefNoMeat because: spelling

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

While agreed that not all styles are equal. Id expand on your comment styles make the fights. They sure do. Some are better geared for a ring others are better geared for combatives. Some prefere and only work within certain ranges and when used in the original context work very well.

Will harimau work in the setting of a ring against a muay thai fighter. Not well. Will it work in the rainy muddy fields of sumatra against a muay thai fighter. Probably very well.

Ninjitsu (cringe) wont work very well one on one. When historically used against a samurai the samurai won almost all the time but when used in context of ambush it works great.

Mauy thai doesnt work so well on a battle field but muay boran/tomoi and krabbi kabang will.

Juijitsu works great one on one but doesnt fare too well against multiple opponents.

Cimande might work well against an armed opponant but not so much in close quarters.

Capoeira works well on large open surfaces where given room to play. Add a lot of unstable loose footing or groynd not so much.

Most martial arts work great in context with the time and place they were developed. Mma and juijitsu and mauy thai also fall in that catagory. Take them out of context and they fail.

Take an aikido guy and give him a manueverable opponant capable of switching their bases and using more than one arm at a time like untypical of a samurai and it wont fair well. Put mauy thai up against an armed opponant or a battlefield art in those contexts and it wont fair well. The muay thai guy will be limbless quickly. Juijitsu takes a kali guy on the ground youll get stabbed. Unarmed kali guy on the ground juijitsu guy will break his arms. Kali is alnost exclusively a impact weapon and blade art.

Wing chun well they need to get their crap straight. Wing chun has more in common with south east asian bladed arts but is so far removed culturally they think its shaolin and not hakka based with indian roots and they never figure out that theres supposed to be a weapon in their hand hence wing chun in its current manner pretty much stinks against anything.

Laugh at tae kwon do. Connect with a back kick or a cut kick and you wont be laughing. In its proper context its a great art.

Wanna be a good body guard mauy thai and boxing arent necessarily for you. Juijitsu dumog or sera are for you.

So no not all arts are equal but in context to their invention they work well. Just dont try and bring the wrong tool to the wrong fight. Aikido against boxing is the wrong tool. Silat or kali against boxing a good tool. Juijitsu against multiple opponants bad tool. Juijitsu against a single guy great tool.

Aikido against a guy swinging a club or sword great tool.
edit on 11-10-2017 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: InhaleExhale

Dumbest post in the history of dumb posts.
Thanks for the laugh.
It's the fighter to a point.
Any style is effective against any other style. Hahaha
I think you have less than no idea what you are talking about. I mean that in the nicest way

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Holy moly, you indeed expanded. I think, for the most part, most entertaining the idea of a scrap between competing styles, implicitly assume weapons will not be used. I’d like to think it’s a ‘Mano a Mano’ assumption when we have these discussions (which are fun to be a part of). Having said that, the whole idea of the first UFC events were predicated on the premise that the competition would answer that question/argument we all had as kids (at least as a kid who grew up with Chuck Norris and Van Damme movies of the 80’s and the original Street Fighter™ arcade game): “could (insert fighter A of said style [e.g. Chuck Norris]) beat (insert fighter B of said style [e.g. Bruce Lee]) in a real, no-holds-barred fight”? I actually remember catching the first UFC as a kid — no cable where I lived and so dad had a satellite dish with a ‘descrambler’ — and thought it to be rather boring. Surely not as entertaining as WWF’s “Royal Rumble” we had streamed illegally some weeks before...my point being, those early attempts at finding the ‘baddest man on the planet’ were terrible because the competing styles were so incrogrous to one another that the ‘action’ was stifled and unentertaining.

Boxers trained with other boxers, judo players trained judo, wrestlers weren’t allowed to kick or punch (when they were wrestling in competitions), and so on and so forth. Only because he was familiar with denfensive offense (e.g. pulling guard) and able to effectively engage offensively on the feet with any style, did Royce Gracie* clown men of any style, at any weight. Those Brazilians had a good 70 years head start on the rest of the world because they were carrying out sanctioned ‘street fights’ fighting Vale Tudo. Only after a good 10 years of incorporating the most effective tools of each martial art, did the well-rounded MMA practitioners start to evolve. As it stands today — even in the age of a well-rounded MMA fighter — styles still make fights. I am confident that will always be the case.

*While he did wreck shop in the early days, Royce wasn’t even the best fighter in his family. His brother, Rickson, was the real bad-ass.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join