It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Send Your Name to Mars Aboard NASA's InSight Lander!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Have any of you dreamed of going to space one day and stepping foot on Mars? Well now you may have your chance, with the InSight Mars lander you can have just that! (or something similar)

Imagine having your name etched into a silicon chip that will be forever remembered on the planet Mars.

Someday I believe that their will be museums on Mars that hold names of people and events that helped make a Mars colony work. Imagine a hundred years or so when future humanity looks back into the past and read your name far after your death.

NASA's InSight Mars lander is expected to launch in May 2018 and arrive at the Red Planet in November 2018.

In 2015, the space agency invited people from around the world to add their names to a silicon chip that will be affixed to the InSight Mars lander. With nearly 827,000 individuals already signed up, NASA is now adding a second microchip, giving members of the public another chance to put their names on Mars.

People can submit their names to be etched onto the second microchip. In doing so, they will earn "frequent flier" points, which reflect their participation in NASA exploration missions. Participants can also download a "boarding pass" with information about each mission that flies their names.

Who knows.. Maybe your name will outlive your death by thousands of years

Space.com
edit on 10-10-2017 by gdkknxnqkc because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: gdkknxnqkc

People can submit their names to be etched onto the second microchip.

I want my name writ large not etched onto a microchip.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I feel the same. or at least have my genetic code embedded into it lol. It would be exciting to be one of the colonists that travel to the red planet. Imagine tinkering with 3d printing, underground structures, and an entirely new landscape to closely study and alter to suit future life. I wonder if we will have a lot of technological advancements during the process due to the need to adapt to a new planet

edit on 10-10-2017 by gdkknxnqkc because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Ah, this is very cool! Thanks for the link. Would be awesome to know that outside of Earth, at least your name would live on in some way if nothing else.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I wonder how many Ben Dover's or Mike Hunt's will end up applying

edit on 10-10-2017 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Done!

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Send Your Name to Mars Aboard NASA's InSight Lander!

How bout no ?

I don't think Mars should have graffiti.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Many thanks for the info!! Today, my 1 year old registered!!

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Thought I saw my name on Mars once in an old Arken thread, probably just rock though

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Super cool! Thanks for this information!

I am in on this one, too.

My name is already on a microchip on Mars (Curiosity rover), but it's great to be part of history again!

S&F

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Been there. Done that

I officially changed my name a couple of years ago to "Curiosity Rover".

top topics

join