It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Hates First Amendment. Also He's An Idiot.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+57 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:20 PM
link   
The ongoing drama that is Trump using the NFL protests to distract from his failing presidency continues. In his latest Tweet on the matter Trump posted:

Twitter

So here we have the sitting President demanding that US law be changed so people exercising their First Amendment right can be punished. There's no other way to take this other than Trump hates people expressing their views and he wants to use the government to make them stop.

It's one thing if the owners/NFL want to start levying punishments because of the actions of the players. The players are their employees and subject to their rules and regulations. The First Amendment doesn't protect against that.

It does however protect against the government curtailing free speech. Now while Trump's threat isn't directed at the players it is an attempt to curtail their free speech. He's attempting to blackmail the NFL into stopping the players from protesting.

The funny thing? The NFL gave up their tax exempt status two years ago. So Trump's threat is actually toothless.

That does not however change the fact that the President is going out of his way to stop people from speaking their mind. While some of what Trump has done in the past has been borderline this is a clear threat against the First Amendment. Anyone that defends this move is clearly just a Trump sycophant who will agree with anything he does regardless of the consequences.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

They may have given up their "tax exempt status", if they ever had it. They haven't given up their exemption from the Sherman Anti-Trust Act.

+81 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Let me explain something to you .

You don't protest while you are at work serving the customer.

Who are the customers?

Hard working americans who grind the 9-5 all day , only to come home to some peace quite and NFL. They dont want politics on their one getaway .... watching the game.

The NFL players them selfs don't even know what they really kneeling for , they only do it because its anti-trump.

Media fills the news with anti-trump so it must be the right thing to do !!

Get off your high horse, NFL players have one job play the game. IF they care about the issues so much, then do it after work , not during while the rest of us have to see your cries for attention on a subject most of them ignorant towards.

The race war in America is fueled by liberals and MSM on the LEFT. You are the ones making a federal case of something that didn't exist to the extend you pretend it to be .....

TRUMP is right. Liberals ... you + cnn are whats wrong with america today. WIthout you . life would be a million times better.

+20 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   

They are employees, and the NFL's customers have spoken. It would seem that next week this will be solved, and I imagine the loss of revenue is going to be the catalysis.

So here we have the sitting President demanding that US law be changed so people exercising their First Amendment right can be punished. There's no other way to take this other than Trump hates people expressing their views and he wants to use the government to make them stop.

Oh and Trump was using his 1st amendment rights. I can't say if using the bully pulpit for the NFL is a good use, but it's his right to use it. I remember a beer summit that I thought was a coloring out of the lines a few years back.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   
For it being a game of throwing a ball around, and smashing into each other, people are really over-thinking the rest.

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: seedofchucky

Really? Where is that mentioned in the First Amendment?

+21 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Oh really?

What is he doing exactly that is infringing on their 1st amendment rights?

Is he imposing unfair taxes?
Arresting people?
Holding a gun to anyone's head?
Forcing people to be fired?
Assaulting anyone?

No?

Oh, he's just voicing his opinion? Using his own 1st amendment rights?... Okay.

Well you know what they say about opinions right?
And we can still choose not to listen to opinions we don't like right? Okay.

+42 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I said you don't not can't.... pay attention little guy .

I"ll break it down for you so your little liberal mind can comprehend.

If i'm at work , and a customer comes picks up an item , can i sit there and tell the customer my political views? What if i was anti-china ? and the product was made in china ...

Should i sit there and shed my tears and concerns to the customer?

What will my boss do ? ........ Can i say free speech ? i'm at work ? cool ?

Will i be fired ?

like i said ... you don't protest while at work.

You liberals only care about your selfs, and not one ounce of care for those around you or how it will effect them...

all because you wanna be heard.... precious little snow flakes.

+13 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Trump Hates First Amendment. Also He's An Idiot.

Apparently Trump isn't the only one that hates the first amendment.

Apparently everyone but Trump has that right.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: seedofchucky

Oh really? There are a lot of "don'ts" that Trump has done anyways that I had and have problems with (like spending time tweeting about a peaceful protest instead of worrying about more pressing issues the government should be working on). Yet none of his supporters seem to care about that. The response has been that what he is doing is technically allowed so it is fine. Well now you got my answer for this issue. It is technically allowed and 100% covered by the First Amendment. Don't like it? Too effing bad.

PS: The only way upsetting the customer matters is if your boss cares. The NFL is for the most part condoning these activities, so the customer argument is moot.
edit on 10-10-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

If Caesar tries to shut down the Coliseum then Brutus is going to be the least of his worries.

Even then, there are numerous professional and semi-professional leagues operating rather successfully. So I fail to see how an anti-trust suit would even be valid.

+20 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: seedofchucky

Really? Where is that mentioned in the First Amendment?

You have every right to exercise your free speech. Your employer has every right to exercise their free speech and can your ass.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   
If there was such a thing as " free speech " , they would allow students who are willing , to pray the Lord's Prayer in public schools. Free speech is a fallacy in my honest opinion.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Where am I saying Trump can't express his views and opinions. The problem I have is that he is using his position of President to shut down the rights of others. If Trump's threat actually had any teeth there's no other word to describe it other than blackmail.

Would you be fine with him going on Twitter and stating that gun manufacturers should have their taxes increased if they don't stop producing AR-15s?

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sheye
If there was such a thing as " free speech " , they would allow students who are willing , to pray the Lord's Prayer in public schools. Free speech is a fallacy in my honest opinion.

And California wouldn't be making laws making it a crime to call people born males a guy because they feel like something else.

Back to Trump bash.

+6 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   

The problem I have is that he is using his position of President to shut down the rights of others

Right!

Because laws get made on Twitter for effs sake.

LOL.

What a load of horsesnip.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   

like i said ... you don't protest while at work.

As the President, Trump is always at work. Funny how all the reasons people use to claim that NFL player or Jemele Hill should be punished suddenly don't apply when Trump opens his dumb mouth.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   

The Anti-Trust exemption is what gives the Federal Government the right to meddle in the affairs of professional sports. The whole MLB doping bit by Congress a few years ago was an example.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

I seem to remember plenty of people on the Right taking his "No transgenders in the military," tweet as gospel.

Even if it doesn't become law, it is still the acting head of the government making a threat. If Obama had done the same thing you would have had a conniption.

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Oh really? There are a lot of "don'ts" that Trump has done anyways that I had and have problems with (like spending time tweeting about a peaceful protest instead of worrying about more pressing issues the government should be working on). .

I can show plenty of times where there was issues the government should be working on , and obama was out to golf ? If you wanna go there.....

You don't actually dislike trumps actions. You really dislike TRUMP him self. THE MSM has done a great job conditioning you my friend....

I would address your other points, but your responding with emotions and hard to understand what you are trying to say . You all over the place like hilary and her excuses of why she lost :p

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join