It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sears Canada is finished

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Most of us in the US are aware of Sears' and K-Mart's long, slow slide from retail dominance into forgotten oblivion. These days, every month brings
a new round of store closures. Sears has stores in Canada as well, and they're in the same dire straits as the American stores. As of today, they're throwing in the towel:

Sears Canada to ask court for permission to liquidate all remaining stores.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I haven't seen anyone under 70 go in or out of the Sears in my area for a long time. I think it is a long time coming, and no big loss.
edit on 10-10-2017 by Jefferton because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

just read this on my local news website.
Im actually surprised they are closing the Sears here.
The place is usually full of customers when ever I go to the mall.
But not enough I guess.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Online killed brick and mortar stores.

Shame too.

I still like being able to walk into a store and look before buying.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   
These businesses failed to adapt to the changing consumer climate.

I still go to Sears every now and then. I like to try on clothes to make sure they fit nicely around my sexy muscles before buying them. But I've noticed customer service is now non existent. Employees are more concerned with pecking away on their phones than acknowledging customers. Many are rude. Help is nil. Young people have no work ethic anymore and poor training has flooded the market.

When more and more just buy online you have to make the in-person experience stick out. When these schmucks make it stick out negatively, what does one expect? Sears is basically the McDonald's of shopping. Might as will spit in my burger and spill coffee on me.
edit on 10-10-2017 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton
I haven't seen anyone under 70 go in or out of the Sears in my area for a long time. I think it is a long time coming, and no big loss.

Do you sit in the parking lot and card people before they go into Sears? Creepy.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Well they outlasted Simpson and Robuck.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

Sears is basically the McDonald's of shopping

And Amazon/Bezos is the modern day version of Henry Ford.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

I still like being able to walk into a store and look before buying.
Back in the day you had a choice between quality and not so much . Today it seems that if its not made in China then its of at least equal quality , again not so much ... Sears for me was about the service but the bottom fell out of that along the way . I guess it was always about the bottom line and now that ,that bottom has fallen out the shut down is the only thing to make sense .

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   
True story, I am banned from every Sears store in Canada. Don't ask me why, but it was not my fault and the energy it will take to fight back is just not worth it.

The Bay is much better, anyway.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Back in the day you had a choice between quality and not so much

I agree.

Quality has severely gone down hill.

They've gone off the effing deep end with a disposable society.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986
True story, I am banned from every Sears store in Canada. Don't ask me why, but it was not my fault and the energy it will take to fight back is just not worth it.

The Bay is expensive unless you wait for sales. I think the only thing that is keeping The Bay afloat is their online purchases.

Ironically , I think that is also what is contributing to the demise of many of these big stores. People are shopping online straight from the wholesalers.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Things will level out for the brick and mortar stores before long.
K mart was on its way out way before Amazon.
Radio shack had an obsolete business model.

But in the long run people will still want to try on clothes and shoes before buying.

Buying a DVD player though,,,, online ordered.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Strange too when you consider that Sears started out as a catalog business. With time they developed a bunch of brick and mortar stores, which have been failing for a long time now.

You would have thought they would have gone back to their roots, and they should have been the ones to have given Amazon a run for their money.

Maybe it is not too late.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sheye

The Bay is expensive unless you wait for sales. I think the only thing that is keeping The Bay afloat is their online purchases.

Ironically , I think that is also what is contributing to the demise of many of these big stores. People are shopping online straight from the wholesalers.

I agree, I never find a good deal or a good range of choice in a Sears store here.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Sears missed the boat when the internet was born. They had a golden opportunity. Their catalog was full of any and everything you could possibly want or need. They should have seen what was coming, but they just weren't forward thinking and technology passed them by.

And why in the heck did they ever buy K-mart?!

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I'm so rotted about this. I recieved a gift card for my baby shower a full year ago and knew this was happening but still forgot to spend it. I went to the liquidation sale, but the prices were so obviously inflated that I said I'd go on the last day. I forgot to do that too....lol. I just went on the website but they're charging $74.99 for shipping... good riddens Sears. No one ever liked you.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
I'm so rotted about this. I recieved a gift card for my baby shower a full year ago and knew this was happening but still forgot to spend it. I went to the liquidation sale, but the prices were so obviously inflated that I said I'd go on the last day. I forgot to do that too....lol. I just went on the website but they're charging $74.99 for shipping... good riddens Sears. No one ever liked you.

That's why I told my wife to hurry up and use the Chipotle gift card we had. I figure, one more e-coli outbreak somewhere and that chain will crash and burn.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sheye

The Bay is a bit more expensive, but at least they are trying to keep up with the times. I see much more up-to-date items and (for lack of a better word) "hip" brands.

Sears seems to be stuck in the 90's, at least here in Toronto.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

And why in the heck did they ever buy K-mart?!

Expansion to get a bigger market which is suppose to equal bigger profits.

Obviously didn't work out like they wanted.

They failed to adapt to new ways of buying.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join