It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea 'hackers steal US-South Korea war plans'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Two guys sitting in the rubble after WW3

"I just wanted to play Candy Crunch at lunch."
edit on 10/10/2017 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Define compromised. Compromised in, he unknowingly got a hot (infected) drive or compromised in the way that he did it via intention?

Your answer is unrelevant because both times, AFAIK, it was done by circumventing the airgap with a prepared device. Compared with what we know about BADUSB this is a perfect scenario.

Be aware, I worked intensly with SS7 and the wincc source is no stranger to me. The worm is/was able to use a exploit in the shortcut files and got there via USB AFAIK. I worked at SIEMENS btw and while being at FESTO, I was asked if I would join the think tank at SIEMENS and was granted through my new employe.

Years ago I wished to do a thread about that but the nondisclosure I signed prevents me from doing that.

Believe me or not. I even said that 5-6 years ago, here on ATS. You can find it if you want.

You can try to keep going on to have the last word or whatever. You have no clue, sorry to say it that blunt.
edit on 10-10-2017 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   

A guy I know works for a small company that does contracting work. He said he drives everyone else nuts, because he insists on full SCIF protocols. I said something about this and all the data, and something to the effect of, "who leaves that much data to be hacked anymore". His initial response was to laugh.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

"who leaves that much data to be hacked anymore".

Only other thing I can think of is intentional.

Disinformation.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   
You´d be amazed how easy it can be even with very strict security protocols. It just takes one idiot with too much permissions.

Or lazyness, like your guy describes it. I can 100% relate to what he said with the "drive others nuts". The normal worker shrugs this away because they have 0 clue. In their eyes you are a paranoid. Until something happens.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Convenience and laziness very often override security.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

You can try to keep going on to have the last word or whatever. You have no clue, sorry to say it that blunt

Someone truly doesn't.

An Iranian double agent working for Israel used a standard thumb drive carrying a deadly payload to infect Iran's Natanz nuclear facility with the highly destructive Stuxnet computer worm, according to a story by ISSSource

www.cnet.com...

Back to the 'expert'.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Whatever you want to believe

according to a story by ISSSource

but yes, believe what you want.
edit on 10-10-2017 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   
who controles the internet controles the world....!a reply to: loam

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

You have no idea. Security with a lot of this information is a joke. A couple of big programs were mined this year, fortunately by one of our people, using a simple indexing type program like you'd find from Google.

A few years ago, I worked on some software for the 505th Command and Control Wing and when it was time to deliver it to Hurlburt Field, it had to go on a DVD-R to get scrubbed before being put on their internal systems network. Even though we were not getting the DVD back, we were not allowed to use a re-writable medium (DVD-RW) and it could not be brought in via USB device whatsoever.

I have had similar experiences working on projects for the USN SPAWAR in San Diego so not everything is just out there.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: evc1shop

And I bet it wasn´t delivered on the original DVD-R, too.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Isn't it possible the actual need to know info isn't on the systems unpurpose but something that is close and a "glitch"

I mean the military certainly still understands strategy even if the system is "known" to be weak. Or have I really put to much trust everyone is doing their job including the treasurer.

At what point does the military decide it's most sensitive information has the least safety? I can't imagine that is the case but I may be in denial.

Can't it be a dummy program worth full of virus?
edit on 10-10-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter
a reply to: evc1shop

And I bet it wasn´t delivered on the original DVD-R, too.

From their scrubbing facility to the final network? Probably not, though I was not present when they did push it into production. There was a good 2-week delay between our delivery and their turnaround on analyzing it.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   
cyber attacks though really don't help the escalating situation.

I feel like the drums of war have started beating.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   
when the narrative fits NK has the best hackers in the world (somehow), next day they don't even have computers in NK and the people are starving and Kim has sharks with laser beams attached to their freaking heads...

im desperate to see the excuse to invade another nation this time around... of course it would never be a nation that can fight back, like Russia or China. its always a small country... odd coincidence

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I would expect that they only got files that SK and the US wanted them to see...

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

The hack was discovered last year.

South Korean intelligence officials told lawmakers in June that Mr. Kim was desperate to get hold of South Korea’s decapitation plan. He had also begun using his deputies’ cars as decoys to move from place to place, they said.

When the hack was discovered last year, the ministry blamed North Korea. But it has acknowledged only that “some classified information” was stolen, saying that revealing more details would only benefit its enemies.

ny times

I'm sure that the plans have changed since then.

Of course Kim is most interested in the decapitation plan...that's his only key to survival. And of course that means that our surveillance of his whereabouts have probably doubled or tripled in the meantime.

If he's gotten that from us, I wonder what we've gotten from him...

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   
After all these years and with agencies like the NSA, you'd think the military would know better. It sounds as though our government needs something like PCI compliance.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: kelbtalfenek

The hack was discovered last year.

I know , said so in the OP.

I'm sure that the plans have changed since then.

I'm sure they have but some details in the files will remain the same.
We nor the South Koreans know exactly what the North got in the hack so who knows what juicy gems were contained within.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Not all of this is coming from the military though. A staggering amount comes off contractor computers. A lot of what China got over the last few years came from contractors and sub contractors of various programs.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join